• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andrew Ward ( LB) leaving NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't tell anybody but I actually agree with what GFOA is saying. At least most of it. You guys are just out to corral him. Sounds like carry-over from many heated battles of the past. He has been on the wrong side of some of these arguments no doubt, but not this one. So you found some words to trap him with, that does not make him wrong, it just puts him in a corner. 

Coaches do thin the herd. But even more importantly than that, they do it very discretely and they definitely do look out for the players best interest in the process. They start by giving the player every chance to win their spot. Then they sit them down and explain to them where they fit in the mix. For some players they show them how their situation might be better somewhere else. Then they let the player decide what to do with that information. I have never sat in a coaches office and watched this process in action, but it seems very reasonable to me.  

POB Decker Ward, etc.... All situations are different, but they all had elements of coaches showing the door and players deciding to leave. I think most of Decker's decision was based on him looking out for his future interests, but some of it was the fact (pointed out by Frost) that Decker was going to have to work very hard and risk injury (or recover too soon) to stay as the #1 Center. Decker chose to leave with class. Ward's situation was slightly different and I don't really know all the facts. POB that is old news, but much the same. I don't even remember McMullen.

This is all what I'd hope would happen, to make room for the batch of speed that is coming in next. No player is disrespected and each one has a respectful way to move on. Now, if there is actual evidence of players being forced out (legal or not), I am against that type of activity. So, its difficult on Frost to walk a fine line, but he is up for the task.

Some on here feel it is their duty to go after GFOA at all costs. Heck some keep bringing up 3 1/2 years just to try and get a zing on him as if it is a slam that he was willing to wait that long to give a full evaluation.

Now watch how many people pile on me.

C

Some on here feel it is their duty to go after GFOA at all costs. Heck some keep bringing up 3 1/2 years just to try and get a zing on him as if it is a slam that he was willing to wait that long to give a full evaluation.

C
I think what many are having issue with is his use of the term. "Thinning the herd." That has a very negative connotation. When someone says that Scott has an honest conversation with kids about where they stand. Even to the point of telling the kid is they choose to transfer th staff will not oppose it. That is not negative.

Thinning the herd is more of a being forced out kind of deal. Like when Saban tells guys he will not renew your schollie. OR We are putting you on a medical schollie and if you fight it we will pull your schollie completely. To me that is thinning as opposed to being honest with a kid.

Yes, "thinning the herd" and "urging to leave" not even close to the same thing
They aren't close at all. Thinning the herd is giving players a fair assessment of their status and expectations, then allowing players to decide where they belong...in or out. Urging to leave is far different, as I mentioned earlier in the thread sometimes during the thinning process guys leave that you don't want to leave...but they decide they must. Decker obviously is one of those. You're so off base with every comment it isn't funny....but please ENOUGH LYING., just go away.

Last edited:
Don't tell anybody but I actually agree with what GFOA is saying. At least most of it. You guys are just out to corral him. Sounds like carry-over from many heated battles of the past. He has been on the wrong side of some of these arguments no doubt, but not this one. So you found some words to trap him with, that does not make him wrong, it just puts him in a corner. 

Coaches do thin the herd. But even more importantly than that, they do it very discretely and they definitely do look out for the players best interest in the process. They start by giving the player every chance to win their spot. Then they sit them down and explain to them where they fit in the mix. For some players they show them how their situation might be better somewhere else. Then they let the player decide what to do with that information. I have never sat in a coaches office and watched this process in action, but it seems very reasonable to me.  

POB Decker Ward, etc.... All situations are different, but they all had elements of coaches showing the door and players deciding to leave. I think most of Decker's decision was based on him looking out for his future interests, but some of it was the fact (pointed out by Frost) that Decker was going to have to work very hard and risk injury (or recover too soon) to stay as the #1 Center. Decker chose to leave with class. Ward's situation was slightly different and I don't really know all the facts. POB that is old news, but much the same. I don't even remember McMullen.

This is all what I'd hope would happen, to make room for the batch of speed that is coming in next. No player is disrespected and each one has a respectful way to move on. Now, if there is actual evidence of players being forced out (legal or not), I am against that type of activity. So, its difficult on Frost to walk a fine line, but he is up for the task.
Thanks for your support, but no one has corralled me over anything. They are wrong and just don't want to admit it or back down. It's OK with me that they are wrong.

I think what many are having issue with is his use of the term. "Thinning the herd." That has a very negative connotation. When someone says that Scott has an honest conversation with kids about where they stand. Even to the point of telling the kid is they choose to transfer th staff will not oppose it. That is not negative.

Thinning the herd is more of a being forced out kind of deal. Like when Saban tells guys he will not renew your schollie. OR We are putting you on a medical schollie and if you fight it we will pull your schollie completely. To me that is thinning as opposed to being honest with a kid.

If people have an issue with "thinning the herd" then that is a them problem, not a GFOA problem.

C

That term has nothing to do with any of this. I have no doubt the staff has had come to Jesus meetings with players that has and will prompt some transfers, Ward being one. Decker is an entirely different story, he was the leading contender to start at C and the staff wanted him here, he has just decided it's his time to move on. He will be missed but no reason to think any less of him. It's the exact same thing that happened with McMullen. I challenged GFOA to shed the shackles of hypocrisy and call Decker a quitter and not worthy of being a Husker just like he did McMullen, he has chosen to invent a narrative to save face. If it's not obvious yet I have exactly zero use for anyone anonymously trashing players who can't be around to defend themselves and don't care if it happened yesterday, last year or in 1976.

They aren't close at all. Thinning the herd is giving players a fair assessment of their status and expectations, then allowing players to decide where they belong...in or out. Urging to leave is far different, as I mentioned earlier in the thread sometimes during the thinning process guys leave that you don't want to leave...but they decide they must. Decker obviously is one of those. You're so off base with every comment it isn't funny....but please ENOUGH LYING., just go away.

Poor guy. I'm glad you found some friends.....not that you care what anyone thinks.

If people have an issue with "thinning the herd" then that is a them problem, not a GFOA problem.

C
I certainly don’t have an issue in principle; however the suggestion that Frost had a meeting with Decker intending to “thin the herd” is absurd IMPO. Yet, that was the insinuation.

I’d say 80% plus who leave will do so because SF helped them along. Could be as much as telling them they won’t play as much as they want. The assertion that everyone who leaves does so because the Great Scott willed it so is silly. And yes, pun intended.

I guess it’s all perspective. I’m not opposed to some culling. Consider for a minute what Coach Frost is facing and trying to achieve. A revamp of offense, defense, mind, body and soul. He’s trying to resurrect one of the more storied programs in the country, and meet the expectations of a very supportive, yet demanding fan base.

Frost saw how many of these guys looked last year on the field, he saw how they prepared for and performed in winter conditioning, he’s seen them in a full spring. He knows in many cases what he has, and what he needs.

I know it rubs some wrong, but this isn’t the days of unlimited scholarships, or a status that got us our share of top players. If the staff needs more scholarships to bring in the right talent, then sharing a dose of harsh reality to guys who aren’t appearing to have the buy in or talent is acceptable in my eyes. We can be charitable when we are back in the Top 20 on a regular basis.

I realize it’s a harsh thought, and I’m not saying it’s what the staff is implementing, but I would not be surprised if it were, nor would I blame them if they did.

That term has nothing to do with any of this. I have no doubt the staff has had come to Jesus meetings with players that has and will prompt some transfers, Ward being one. Decker is an entirely different story, he was the leading contender to start at C and the staff wanted him here, he has just decided it's his time to move on. He will be missed but no reason to think any less of him. It's the exact same thing that happened with McMullen. I challenged GFOA to shed the shackles of hypocrisy and call Decker a quitter and not worthy of being a Husker just like he did McMullen, he has chosen to invent a narrative to save face. If it's not obvious yet I have exactly zero use for anyone anonymously trashing players who can't be around to defend themselves and don't care if it happened yesterday, last year or in 1976.

I'm glad you are willing to admit that SF is having sit down meetings with all the players and that this is resulting in some leaving the team. One thing we know is that Decker was not willing to dedicate himself to the team based on the expectations outlined by Frost when he arrived. Hence, though SF did not want to have Decker leave...he also wouldn't want a non-dedicated player on his team. An unintended consequence of being upfront and honest with your players, I suppose.

As to your simplistic notion that the Decker and McMullen situations are precisely the same...I strongly disagree. In one instance (Decker), a player has taken his HC's expectations to heart and therefor could not justify returning because he was unable to dedicate himself to those expectations. A very open and honest decision. And while his HC might have hoped that he could dedicate himself, they both (SF & MD) know that his departure isn't a big blow to the team. There are others with extensive PT at Center and some high potential underclassmen as well.

In the other case (McMullen), he and some other DL's had a history of inappropriate activity with a previous coach (Kaz) during the transition year. The team lost 2 DL's early to the NFL, and while McMullen had started every game of the transition year...he still behaved as though he had a beef with the staff despite the fact that the DL coach had been replaced after the season with a Nebraska guy (JP). His decision to bail on his team along with the NFL departures, left the DL devastated and with little to no experience. He abandoned his team despite the fact that everyone was counting on him to return. He didn't even bother to leave Lincoln. Sure they dressed up a cute little story to make it somewhat palatable, but truth is the whole thing stunk to high heaven. But, that's just my opinion, believe what you want, just don't try to tell me the situations are the same. Life has many shades of gray, it isn't always black and white.

C

The issue with him is he will take any opportunity to bash a player and/or a coach.

C

I think the acceptance of any idea or the author of said idea has much to do with the delivery of the message. There are a handful here that may occasionally make valid points, but do so in a manner and using words that make it hard to agree with. Some of that can be written off as the communication gap that exists in written conversation, but not nearly enough.

Regardless, I try to just keep walking on rather than poking them with a stick if I disagree with the message or delivery. I don't always succeed at that, but most of the time do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back