• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

And so it begins…..

@N2FL

Lane Kiffen?

At Nebraska?

I mean I like the rest of your candidates but that last one just lost me.

Good Coach? Well yes.

A suitable fit for Nebraska? The people here? The fans? The state itself? The temperament? A long term coach?

Sorry my friend, I just don’t see it.
If Lane came in and started winning by season 2, in the CCG by season 3 he could walk around naked banging every booster wife he comes across for all I care. ;)

I'm kidding, mostly, but winning cures all. Nebraska loved Bo and he was a complete ass. They would love Lane (especially because of Monte) just as much.

I can hear the argument about fitting the 'Nebraska Way', but that guy is a really good coach IMPO. His confidence and arrogance turn some people off, but his players love it and love him. It's part of the swag culture he instills. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

He's grown up a lot as a person and coach since his Oakland and Tennessee days. I think his style would be popular if he's winning. Maybe old school guys in their 60's or 70's might be turned off by it, but frankly that's not the demographic that matters.
I had this exact conversation with the fellas over a few beers after golf yesterday. When I mentioned Lane Kiffin's name I got several, are you kidding me responses. Yes he can rub people the wrong way "especially opposing fans" but I like his swagger and coaching style.

I can hear the argument about fitting the 'Nebraska Way', but that guy is a really good coach IMPO. His confidence and arrogance turn some people off, but his players love it and love him. It's part of the swag culture he instills. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

He's grown up a lot as a person and coach since his Oakland and Tennessee days. I think his style would be popular if he's winning. Maybe old school guys in their 60's or 70's might be turned off by it, but frankly that's not the demographic that matters.
You mean similar to the comments that SF made about the B1G adjusting to him and then has been summarily crucified for saying?? Good plan.

He’s a guy my dad and I have discussed. I think he’s someone that could do really well here. I also agree that he’s matured a ton in the last few years. Saban will help with that most times.

Forget Frost’s buyout…

you guys are gonna have to come up with big money to convince me that Lane Kiffin would be a good fit here.

And I mean big money! I mean with inflation and all.

I’d want at least enough to buy me a Dairy Queen M&M Blizzard every game Saturday from now till doomsday.

We might not win….but damn those things are good and my mood will be better!

Actually….the more I think about this the weirder it gets and oddly enough, just might be extremely successful.

And the “sell” to the old timers is:

He’s Monte’s boy and he wins….

Amazing what a 7 mil a year offer might do to a guy with that big an ego.

But it’s 7 million a year.

No problem right….

Last edited:
LK would not come here he would have to wear a hood or a stocking hat over his gorgeous head of hair and he would never not wear the tennis visor

Amazing what a 7 mil a rear offer might do to a guy with that big an ego.

But it’s 7 million a year.

No problem right….
I wouldn’t have a problem with the 7 mil but pretty sure our fan base would. And it would immediately put Trev on the hot seat. Not that he won’t with any hire.

Good candidates, I agree. Personally, my list would be Luke Fickell and Chris Petersen first and foremost (yes, both are huge long shots, but you have to at least put a package together and make them tell you no).

After them, my top guys would be Billy Napier (ultimately, he wants to coach in the SEC, however), Kyle Whittingham, Greg Schiano, Dave Aranda, Jeff Hafley, Bill O'Brien and Lane Kiffin.
Is Bill O’Brien realistic? Agree on Lane Kiffin if we are going to have this conversation, would he be realistic? I think he has a longing to ultimately stay in the SEC.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back