• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An overlooked detail from Saturday

I guess I do not understand how anyone can say he disregards the importance of STs.

Just because he doesn't have a ST-only coach doesn't mean he doesn't practice or work on STs. He has people on staff who know these things and work on them. To suggest no one on staff didn't know about the MSU kicker is silly.

The results on the field are not acceptable and SF himself would and has said that ... but we entered the season with KOY in Culp and a very experienced Punter in Przystrup. .. who would've thought - including the coaches - that both would have regressed to the level they are at? Having to play guys they were not expecting can't help the process. Who would've expect that CTB would have an aversion to catching punts?

No doubt SF and the coaches can be better ... and sometimes circumstances become perceived as excuses rather than symptoms of a problem but it is silly to suggest that SF disregards the importance of special teams ... he knows way better than you or me.
Listen to the MSU coaches describe the punt return for a TD and then listen to our coaches.

Ours: He kicked it left it was supposed to go right.
Theirs: In film study we noticed they weren’t consistent/accurate punters and have a tendency to go left more often. We put our best returner to their left. We coached the other returner to fake like he was going to catch it..

Long story short, they did some work and research. We just said kick it left, when we should have known we had no accuracy punting. Heck, we’d already benched punters in that game.

I hope they disregard ST. Otherwise they are monumentally stupid!

I guess I’m wondering why the players on most every other team have situational awareness and ours don’t
What do you want me to say? I’ve already said the coaching and dedication to ST needs to improve. That said, the players catch the ball on the goal line. The players fail to catch the ball, and let it bounce another 30 yards. I’m sure the coaches have mentioned that?? Thats basic 101, so yeah, there must be a few who just aren’t too bright. That’s dumb. No coach coaches that.

What do you want me to say? I’ve already said the coaching and dedication to ST needs to improve. That said, the players catch the ball on the goal line. The players fail to catch the ball, and let it bounce another 30 yards. I’m sure the coaches have mentioned that?? Thats basic 101, so yeah, there must be a few who just aren’t too bright. That’s dumb. No coach coaches that.
But coaches choose who is back there, and if the people you choose repeatedly screw it up, that is coaching.

Wasn’t really trying to put you in the spot. More a rhetorical question. Sorry

Wasn’t really trying to put you in the spot. More a rhetorical question. Sorry
Trust me, I’m NOT giving the coaches a pass, but the players are the ones making the idiotic plays and not using good judgement. There isn’t one coach at any level that will tell you to catch a punt on the goal line, or to not field a punt, and just let it hit and bounce 30 yards downfield, not one.

having blocked an earlier MSU FG attempt, I wondered that as well.

if not for the bobble - likely positive yards on the KOR vs. longer PAT attempt? ... the longer PAT is appealing - especially in hindsight.
We blocked a kick? Is that what you call it? LOL...it was an MSU holder error.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back