• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alvarez to retire

They lost to a SF recruited qb in that rose bowl.
The passing game, and their slightly disappointing run game,having all those NFL O linemen and Taylor,and now, switching to more a pssing game.
This doesnt benefit Wiscy in the slightest, unless people thing they canbecome the other OSU west.
We outtrushed Wiscy by 34 positions, we finished 28th, they finished 62nd.Last year.
2019, they started to fall off, gaining 40 yds less per game than the previous year, and that was with all those nfl linemen and Taylor, as i said.
Their stats are wobbling if you will, but thats what happened.
Remember, when youre that good,its not that you win, its often how you win, and they werent as dominant as well.

But again, since we all know Wiscy is all about the run game, and its had 2 bad years to their standards, in a row, as I said, Barry is getting older, he has his standards,that we can all agree upon.
Theyve been slipping some.

It makes sense, so has Barry

To note, Wisconsin didn't go with their freshman stud RB until mid-November. Berger did have nearly 300 yards of offense at about 6 yards per rush in the final three regular season games he played in.

But yes, the Badgers were searching for an identity last season with the frequent Covid interruptions. Anyone's guess if they will be effective or not in 2021.

Wisconsin did not have two bad years by their standards in a row. They won 10 games, played in the Rose Bowl, and finished ranked 11th in the AP in the 2019. That's not a bad season even by their standards. If you suggest they ran less than 2018, sure -- that's true. They were still a top 20 rushing team nationally and #2 in the Big Ten. Ultimately, they won the West Division in 2019.

Yes, 2020 was rotten by their standards (one, not two in a row). Again, I don't know nor does anyone if that's a trend or a Covid anomaly. I will also say the same with Michigan and Penn State -- I suspect none of those teams really fell as far for a long-term trend as we saw in 2020 -- there's not yet enough evidence to support a trend. Now, if those teams fail again in 2021, you might have something. I simply need to see more evidence before I predict a downward spiral. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't.

Last edited:

My biggest problem with Alvarez was his tremendous influence on Big 10 Schedules over the years. Wisconsin's schedules have been a gravy train compared to other schools in the B10 West. Didn't like what he did to Gary Anderson either.

I respect what he built at Wisky, but he became irritating the last 10-15 years. Very controlling imo

I agree with this. Barry wasn't a very likable guy outside of Madison. I don't even think he was consistently liked by all within Madison. I wouldn't be shocked if Wisconsin is better off without Barry.

Last edited:
Multiple sources suggest Chris McIntosh (current deputy AD at Wisconsin) will be Barry's successor. Barry brought him aboard in 2014 with suggestions even then he was being groomed for the job.

Last edited:
Wiscys on the downward spiral

I've been saying that about Wisconsin and Iowa for what seems a decade now.

Somehow they figure out how to keep winning and occasionally winning a lot.

I'll mark it down as wishful thinking on my part until the wheels really do come off or we're beating them consistently.

That's where Nebraska football is right now. I'll feel better about us when we can beat two teams I didn't see as our equal when we were coming into the conference.

My biggest problem with Alvarez was his tremendous influence on Big 10 Schedules over the years. Wisconsin's schedules have been a gravy train compared to other schools in the B10 West. Didn't like what he did to Gary Anderson either.

I respect what he built at Wisky, but he became irritating the last 10-15 years. Very controlling imo

I've heard stories about the guy that make me think he is a first class a hole.

Agree on the 'What he built at Wisky' comment. It can't really be argued. He took a bad football school and made it a consistent winner.

To note, Wisconsin didn't go with their freshman stud RB until mid-November. Berger did have nearly 300 yards of offense at about 6 yards per rush in the final three regular season games he played in.

But yes, the Badgers were searching for an identity last season with the frequent Covid interruptions. Anyone's guess if they will be effective or not in 2021.

Wisconsin did not have two bad years by their standards in a row. They won 10 games, played in the Rose Bowl, and finished ranked 11th in the AP in the 2019. That's not a bad season even by their standards. If you suggest they ran less than 2018, sure -- that's true. They were still a top 20 rushing team nationally and #2 in the Big Ten. Ultimately, they won the West Division in 2019.

Yes, 2020 was rotten by their standards (one, not two in a row). Again, I don't know nor does anyone if that's a trend or a Covid anomaly. I will also say the same with Michigan and Penn State -- I suspect none of those teams really fell as far for a long-term trend as we saw in 2020 -- there's not yet enough evidence to support a trend. Now, if those teams fail again in 2021, you might have something. I simply need to see more evidence before I predict a downward spiral. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't.
I'm just pointing this out because in 2019, Taylor was held to under 100 yds in that rose bowl, they threw 35 times in that rose bowl,and in 2018 and 2019, they had O linemen drafted for the first time since 2014 and even with Taylor, didnt have the performance overall that one might expect.
Roll 2020 into that, and its changing in cheeseland, and I dont think its for the better.
We all know, going to a heavier passing game can have negative effects on your defense.
Berger, their RB,isnt as big as Taylor was,but being young may be why, but shared carries will likely have to be done, or the continued higher pass to run ratio, which I think is the staffs plan.

Last edited:
I've been saying that about Wisconsin and Iowa for what seems a decade now.

Somehow they figure out how to keep winning and occasionally winning a lot.

I'll mark it down as wishful thinking on my part until the wheels really do come off or we're beating them consistently.

That's where Nebraska football is right now. I'll feel better about us when we can beat two teams I didn't see as our equal when we were coming into the conference.
Iowa drubbed wiscy last year. Their qb, wiscys, came out on fire,but once seen, he wasnt a killer, though likely will be very good.
Both are beatable,our best chance is this year,likely in awhile.
Not convinced iowa will be any better this year, but we should be.

Last edited:
Iowa drubbed wiscy last year. Their qb, wiscys, came out on fire,but once seen, he wasnt a killer, though likely will be very good.
Both are beatable,our best chance is this year,likely in awhile.
Not convinced iowa will be any better this year, but we should be.

I've been saying some variant of this since Melvin Gordon and Brandon Scherff left. This is the year.

I stopped believing myself because it never seemed to be the year.

I'm in 100% 'Missouri' mode right now as it relates to beating either of those schools.

Love to see it, but until it actually happens, I'm going to remain skeptical.

I've been saying some variant of this since Melvin Gordon and Brandon Scherff left. This is the year.

I stopped believing myself because it never seemed to be the year.

I'm in 100% 'Missouri' mode right now as it relates to beating either of those schools.

Love to see it, but until it actually happens, I'm going to remain skeptical.
Yea, agreed, we dont know what we'll have.
But wiscy has taken a step back here,and Barry being gone,he oversaw that team.
They had a coach quit because of that,and whats funny is, that coach didnt skip a beat either.
BA has been grooming his replacement,lets see how well thats received.
I think what happens there will have impact on wiscy going forwards.
BA had his/our system down pat, with him gone, and is his replacement doesnt get placed, it'll really be a whole new ball game.

And even though grooming a AD isnt the same as grooming and picking a new coach, add in system, and BA had it all going on.

Yea, agreed, we dont know what we'll have.
But wiscy has taken a step back here,and Barry being gone,he oversaw that team.
They had a coach quit because of that,and whats funny is, that coach didnt skip a beat either.
BA has been grooming his replacement,lets see how well thats received.
I think what happens there will have impact on wiscy going forwards.
BA had his/our system down pat, with him gone, and is his replacement doesnt get placed, it'll really be a whole new ball game.

And even though grooming a AD isnt the same as grooming and picking a new coach, add in system, and BA had it all going on.

I think we (or at least some of us) agree NU is headed in the right direction. Wisconsin under Alvarez was there. He had it dialed in.

I have no doubt they could take significant steps backward in the coming years, but they're in decent shape from a talent standpoint and should be able to sustain success in the near term.

I think we (or at least some of us) agree NU is headed in the right direction. Wisconsin under Alvarez was there. He had it dialed in.

I have no doubt they could take significant steps backward in the coming years, but they're in decent shape from a talent standpoint and should be able to sustain success in the near term.
Certainly.
I just see wiscy transitioning maybe faster than they want to going to more of a passing game.
It could be because of last year, add in their rookie RB as well, but when the year before, with Taylor, and they throw the ball 35 times and lose to Oregon, somethings changed.
Iowa is transitioning away from more a run first team slower, and it seems to be working better for them,so,not sure wiscy can pull it off as well, unless again,last year was an outlier

Part of the reason Wisconsin has been good for so long is because of BA will of personality. Through 3 different successors they kept the offense and defense essentially the same throughout that time. Heavy run oriented play good defense don’t beat yourself.

Will that continue after Alverez retires? Chryst mentor is BA and I think his personality is a lot like BA. Except he likes to throw the rock around more than Alverez. Time will tell.

I think a lot of Nebraska fans don’t like BA now because they thought he owed Nebraska something because he was an Alumni. He hasn’t been a Nebraska man for 50 years. He is a Wisconsin man. Just like Bob Devaney became a Nebraska man and ceased being a Michigan State man.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back