• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alvarez to retire

joncarl

Nobody important
15 Year Member
Ticker at the bottom of the north dakota and minnesota duluth game says he will retire. Official announcement to come

Not sure how it runs there, but Wiscy has been underperforming, and or isnt as consistent as they used to be.
Maybe Barry cant crack the whip like he used to

Being a football coach at Wiscy had to be interesting as Barry was AD and seemingly always around the fb program. I thought it was more than casual, rather pushy and demanding. I recall he nominated himself to be head coach at one point in the post season. That had to be more than a subtle message to the assistant coaches and their internal desire to advance at said university fb program.

News of Alvarez’s impending retirement comes after a tumultuous year for the department, which experienced significant financial setbacks, canceled competitions and altered schedules due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Alvarez, a longtime power player in the Big Ten Conference, often was front and center this fall when the league canceled the football season, then brought it back months later. The decision to cancel the football season amid the pandemic was taxing, Alvarez said.

“I was worn out. I just felt beat down then,” he told the State Journal in October.

Not sure how it runs there, but Wiscy has been underperforming, and or isnt as consistent as they used to be.
Maybe Barry cant crack the whip like he used to

They've won 10 or more games five of the past seven seasons. 22 losses during the past 7 years is the fewest over any 7 years in program history. 1st place or tied for 1st in the division four of those seasons -- more than any other team in the West. Paul Chryst has done just fine.

They played in the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2020 -- and the Orange Bowl two years before that.

You may be putting too much weight on last season, when they didn't play 3 games due to Covid, which makes it pretty difficult to build any momentum. I'm going to assume their starting QB won't be testing positive for Covid this coming season.

I guess we'll see, but I tend to give Wisconsin an incomplete grade for last season.

That said, they'll be tested this coming season, as they play Penn State in the first game, then Notre Dame, Michigan, and Army all in the first half of the season.

Anyhow, when Devaney retired as AD, Nebraska did just fine. So I won't assume with Alvarez retiring Wisconsin will fall.

I tend not to downplay football programs that are clearly better than ours -- until proven otherwise.

They've won 10 or more games five of the past seven seasons. 22 losses during the past 7 years is the fewest over any 7 years in program history. 1st place or tied for 1st in the division four of those seasons -- more than any other team in the West. Paul Chryst has done just fine.

They played in the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2020 -- and the Orange Bowl two years before that.

You may be putting too much weight on last season, when they didn't play 3 games due to Covid, which makes it pretty difficult to build any momentum. I'm going to assume their starting QB won't be testing positive for Covid this coming season.

I guess we'll see, but I tend to give Wisconsin an incomplete grade for last season.

That said, they'll be tested this coming season, as they play Penn State in the first game, then Notre Dame, Michigan, and Army all in the first half of the season.

Anyhow, when Devaney retired as AD, Nebraska did just fine. So I won't assume with Alvarez retiring Wisconsin will fall.

I tend not to downplay football programs that are clearly better than ours -- until proven otherwise.
Shocker

My biggest problem with Alvarez was his tremendous influence on Big 10 Schedules over the years. Wisconsin's schedules have been a gravy train compared to other schools in the B10 West. Didn't like what he did to Gary Anderson either.

I respect what he built at Wisky, but he became irritating the last 10-15 years. Very controlling imo

Last edited:

They lost to a SF recruited qb in that rose bowl.
The passing game, and their slightly disappointing run game,having all those NFL O linemen and Taylor,and now, switching to more a pssing game.
This doesnt benefit Wiscy in the slightest, unless people thing they canbecome the other OSU west.
We outtrushed Wiscy by 34 positions, we finished 28th, they finished 62nd.Last year.
2019, they started to fall off, gaining 40 yds less per game than the previous year, and that was with all those nfl linemen and Taylor, as i said.
Their stats are wobbling if you will, but thats what happened.
Remember, when youre that good,its not that you win, its often how you win, and they werent as dominant as well.

But again, since we all know Wiscy is all about the run game, and its had 2 bad years to their standards, in a row, as I said, Barry is getting older, he has his standards,that we can all agree upon.
Theyve been slipping some.

It makes sense, so has Barry

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back