• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Akoy Agau

Jay, I've articulated it well enough. You are the only one that can't comprehend. Thus the problem must lie with you.

NU football coaches ALWAYS say locking down the home state is a big deal. Now, you don't see them offering NE kids who don't deserve it, do you? Nobody is saying NU bball should offer kids who don't deserve it. But there's something to be said about a program who can't get ANY local guys who DO warrant an offer. Any coach knows it's always (should be) easier to land the guys closest to home. If you can't get them it's and indication of where your program is at. What do they always say about Nebraska kids that play on the football team? It means more to them. And that "home state pride" rubs off on the others. And fans like being able to identify. Christ, there are a ton of benefits to getting the local guys.

Honestly, this is self-evident. The cardinal rule of college recruiting in any sport and for any school is lock down the local kids who are worthy of a scholarship.

Odd.

I would think schools would have more in-state players, given how obviously important it is.

Well that's because you're mistaken. Go to ESPN.com, click on teams, then click on rosters for the Big Ten. Most of the teams have at least half of their roster from their home state. If you include neighboring states and the fact that schools like Wisconsin and Michigan are going to recuit out of Chicago, that number goes up even higher. You have an inherent advantage with respect to players who are nearby because of familiarity with and affinity for your program, you have no such advantage with respect to kids 1000 miles away. Unless you have a premier brand name, you've got to make the most out of the kids coming out of your neighborhood.

Well that's because you're mistaken. Go to ESPN.com, click on teams, then click on rosters for the Big Ten. Most of the teams have at least half of their roster from their home state. If you include neighboring states and the fact that schools like Wisconsin and Michigan are going to recuit out of Chicago, that number goes up even higher. You have an inherent advantage with respect to players who are nearby because of familiarity with and affinity for your program, you have no such advantage with respect to kids 1000 miles away. Unless you have a premier brand name, you've got to make the most out of the kids coming out of your neighborhood.

I know it's hard....obviously because I NEVER LEARN...but you'd have more success talking to a fern in this case.

1. It is a bit hard to compare NU's Roster to peer Big 10 schools because NU wasn't a Big 10 school when this roster was built.
  2. A better comparison might be a school like KSU or Okie State. Neither are the dominate team in there conference (like NU).
  3. Creighton's Antonio Young (as far as I can see) is the only NE player within 7 hours of Lincoln that gets more gets more minutes the #1 NE at UNL.
  4. It appears from looking at rivals that Young didn't visit any other school besides Creighton.
  5. NU gets more minutes from KS than KSU does. Since 2000, more KS players have come to NU than to KSU.
  6. Okie State has just 1 kid from in state.
  7. When you look a those rosters on ESPN, remember that some could be walk-on players just like Kye and Jordon and NU. You have to look at the minutes they play.
  8. Wisconsin has one player in-state that is getting any minutes.
  9. Are you really going to suggest that looking at the # of kids from MI on the MI or MS roster? Since Doc arrived at NU, there have been 3 in state kids that Rivals gave 3 stars or more. (Young at Creigh, Ellison at Minn and the kid going to Iowa) There are 10 players ranked 3 stars or more by rivals that come out of MI every year.
  10. Affinity for the program from in-state players? Have you seen NU play? Have they?

1. It is a bit hard to compare NU's Roster to peer Big 10 schools because NU wasn't a Big 10 school when this roster was built.
  2. A better comparison might be a school like KSU or Okie State. Neither are the dominate team in there conference (like NU).
  3. Creighton's Antonio Young (as far as I can see) is the only NE player within 7 hours of Lincoln that gets more gets more minutes the #1 NE at UNL.
  4. It appears from looking at rivals that Young didn't visit any other school besides Creighton.
  5. NU gets more minutes from KS than KSU does. Since 2000, more KS players have come to NU than to KSU.
  6. Okie State has just 1 kid from in state.
  7. When you look a those rosters on ESPN, remember that some could be walk-on players just like Kye and Jordon and NU. You have to look at the minutes they play.
  8. Wisconsin has one player in-state that is getting any minutes.
  9. Are you really going to suggest that looking at the # of kids from MI on the MI or MS roster? Since Doc arrived at NU, there have been 3 in state kids that Rivals gave 3 stars or more. (Young at Creigh, Ellison at Minn and the kid going to Iowa) There are 10 players ranked 3 stars or more by rivals that come out of MI every year.
  10. Affinity for the program from in-state players? Have you seen NU play? Have they?

The ONLY reason why you think KSU or Okie State "might be a better comparison" is because they support your cause. I really don't know why you are trying to fight the obvious proposition that you need to recruit your local area effectively.

1 I picked osu and is first before looking at their rosters.

2. I picked them because like NU, they are not the best school within 4 hours and the have a low number of in state prospects

3 I never said that you shoulders recruit your local area effectly. I said that a 3 star player for NE is no more valuable to the program than a 3 star player not from NE.

4 Fans want wins and having NE after your hometown does nothing to win games.

5 Doc can spend hours and hours of time doing camps and clinics for Omaha and Lincoln and for what a single D 1 player in 6 years?

1 I picked osu and is first before looking at their rosters.

2. I picked them because like NU, they are not the best school within 4 hours and the have a low number of in state prospects

3 I never said that you shoulders recruit your local area effectly. I said that a 3 star player for NE is no more valuable to the program than a 3 star player not from NE.

4 Fans want wins and having NE after your hometown does nothing to win games.

5 Doc can spend hours and hours of time doing camps and clinics for Omaha and Lincoln and for what a single D 1 player in 6 years?

Jay, I don't chime in often, but you are wrong on this on all accounts. Especially number 3. A player that is equal to Mike Gessell's talent that lives out of state is and would not be as important of a recruit as Mike would be. Plain and simple. You think other recruits don't see that even home town and state kids don't want to attend UNL? It negatively effects the program in so many ways in the public eye that even gaining the out of state kid with equal talent, while he may be sufficient on the court, will never make up the negative impact losing an instate kid does, especially at a program like nebraska where the situation will be amplified because of lack of talent. You are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Studies have shown time and again that HS players moving on to college tend to stay within 200 miles of home. This is less true of the truly elite players that go to a Duke or a Kansas or a Syracuse. But logically NU is going to have to start with the high 3 stars and the low to medium 4 stars to move up the Big 10 and national ladder, no matter the coach. So you are dealing with kids who, all other things being equal, will stay within 200 miles of home. To short-circuit someone bringing up the one or two exceptions to the rule, of course this is a general rule (anyone remember Rick Siedel?). But NU should have a built in advantage with kids within 200 miles of Lincoln. You need to exploit that advantage. Plus the simple fact is, once again, local players grow up with a team. Again, the general rule is that they simply tend to play harder and with more love for the team they grew up wth. The mercenary aspect of the less than super elite player isn't there. The best example I know is the story of Mark Turgeon. Anyone remember him begging Brown for a scholarship to KU? He described how he cried every time KU lost and how he literally dreamed from the time he was a little kid about playing for KU? Turgeon probably would have been a solid point guard if he had gone to, say, Illinois. But given his love for KU, he played that much better and that much harder for KU. An extreme example, yes, but it makes the point.

NU has no starters from NE.

Creighton and CSU are the only D1 teams with NE starters that I know of.

For the past 2 seasons, NU has had starters from 205 and 251 miles away.

This years and next year's freshman class has players from 220 miles or less.

It is utterly crazy to suggest that Nick Krenk and Cole Salomon played any harder than Ade Dagunduro or Paul Velander who set the school record for taking a charge.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back