• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sure, except he’s never said ‘No matter what’ and in fact Martinez wasn’t the starter for a handful of games this past season.
Lmao and yet fans say there isn’t going to be any qb competition. So guess take up your argument with those that say Martinez is the clear cut starter m

He might but stating he is the starter without question isn’t the best way to evaluate things. Martinez’s play wasn’t good enough to declare that and i think frost knows that was well hence why I think he isn’t named starter without questioning.

Did SF state that AM is the starter next year without question? If he hasn't, it would appear that all the concern is really not necessary.

So you like to lose? It’s not unreasonable to think maybe someone else can give you a spark, a shot of life. Happens all the time. Especially if the guy playing is hurt and ineffective.

No I don’t like to lose, I’m just not arrogant enough to think I can sit in my recliner or in the stands on Saturday and determine more in 60 minutes of football than a group of professional football coaches can in months.

F that. I wanna see what McCaffery can do now. Let’s see what he’s got. The little we’ve seen has been gamer type. What is there to lose? Good grief, not like Martinez was marching NU up and down the field. It was a serious struggle for him.

We have seen LM....he can really run. No indication he can lead a team to a win or even survive a full game.

Lmao and yet fans say there isn’t going to be any qb competition. So guess take up your argument with those that say Martinez is the clear cut starter m

I liked the old Trent Walz better.

He wasn’t grate, just gooder than the new and improved version.

A few, but even folks with a less 'jaded' outlook on depth chart placement (me) look at the coming quarterback competition as one that's largely been decided by the staff.

Now I do think that if Vedral or McCaffrey have a phenomenal Spring and/or Fall and just take the job over, that predetermined 'lean' to AM would change. I don't think Frost/Verduzco are so bought into AM that they can't fathom a switch, but it sure seems to me as if the staff is very much sold on AM as their starter. Right now. I say that without the critical snark others are saying it with, because I have seen exactly '0' minutes of practice, sat in the same number of group meetings, etc. I don't know what they see that none of us do. I also don't know that LM's handful of awesome plays aren't HIS ceiling and the rest is down hill with practices full of missed reads, fumbles, interceptions and overall average play. I know you know all of this, but I'm just writing this out for the benefit of the folks who don't understand how football (or any team sport for that matter) works.

Hell, we're four and a half months from Spring football and the noise from the 'Bench AM' crowd is already a dull roar. If he's healthy and they all play in Spring......if AM doesn't own the position and put the other two to shame, this will be a long, whiney summer for a few on here.

Agree with you, but directly to the bolded......perhaps that is because of his abilities compared to the other QBs. Afterall, the other players were also recruited by this staff, so it isn't like there is a bias towards "their guy" as we've heard about at other times. This is a competition between guys they wanted to be at NU....(or at least with them) and they still seem to feel AM is the best guy. Maybe he is?

When you are losing games, try something else. What you’re doing isn’t working, right? The record says so! Martinez was mostly ineffective and that cannot be argued.

Actually they did try something (someone) else when AM was injured. Those were also losses. No change noted.

I believe it's possible Frost is so enamored with Martinez that someone will have to prove he is not just better, but signifcantly better, to win the starting job. Not because Frost doesn't want to win games but because he's biased to begin with. Frost has said in no uncertain terms that Martinez has the potential to be the best QB at Nebraska. How does Vedral or McCaffrey or anyone else compete with that when their coach isn't saying the same thing about them? All else being equal, Martinez starts because of the "potential" Frost sees in him.

When you are losing games, try something else. What you’re doing isn’t working, right? The record says so! Martinez was mostly ineffective and that cannot be argued.

Maybe, but what games would you have pulled Martinez out of early and inserted either Vedral or McCaffery into?
Look at the games from a logic stand point and tell me where Martinez should have been benched for someone else in a game.

S. Alabama? We won the game.
Colorado? Did we lose because Martinez was completely ineffective? More to do with a defensive melt down in the second half than anything, and a lack of a kicker.
N. Illinois? Won the game.
Illinois? I think he led the comeback in that game.
Ohio St? You could have pulled him and put in either of the other 2 QB's. We weren't winning that game.
Northwestern? We won the game and he got hurt. Vedral played the whole 4th quarter.
Minnesota? Martinez hurt Vedral started. I guess they could have brought in McCaffery to spark the team. This was probably the worst the team played in any game all year.
Indiana? Martinez hurt didn't play. Both Vedral and McCaffery play, and actually play pretty well. Both get dinged up in the game.
Purdue? This game I would have benched him in the first half. He played terrible. He did play a lot better in the second half of the game. At the PC after the game Frost said neither Vedral or McCaffery were available.
Wisconsin? Not a great day throwing the ball but not terrible for Martinez 13-23 for 220. He did have 1 bad interception. I don't think Vedral was available.
Maryland? Martinez and McCaffery played in the game. They won 54-7.
Iowa? All three played. McCaffery came in and threw 1 TD pass it was nice.

I will gladly agree with you that Martinez did not play nearly as well this year as the year before. I think there are probably a lot of reasons. I am not sure that bringing in Vedral or McCaffery at some point in any of the losses was going to spark the team to victory. Maybe the Iowa game?

I hope their is true competition for the starting QB job, but I think a healthy Martinez probably comes out on top.

I do hope one thing though. I hope they use McCaffery next year and just don't have him as the backup. He is too talented of a football player to sit and not get into games Use him as receiver some. Use him as a wildcat QB some. Get him in the game. Kinda like Penn St did with their back up behind McSorley for a couple of years. They need to use all of their assets.

Here's what we know:
1. AM wasn't the same this year
2. LM provided excitement and a "spark"
3. LM was given packages to focus on and everyone in the building knows he wasn't ready to take the reigns of the entire offense.

But for the "Start LM" crowd, one aspect you really haven't taken into consideration is LM's physical size. He is slight of frame and needs to add some beef to that body before he is ready to run this offense considering the offense is based on RPO. Hell, he got injured in the first game he played any significant minutes (Indiana).

He has a helluva future, but both mentally and physically, he needs to grow. His time will come and come more quickly than anyone imagined. But when that time comes, I want him to be prepared to become the permanent QB for this team, not just a spark or change of pace contributor.

Last edited:

Agree with you, but directly to the bolded......perhaps that is because of his abilities compared to the other QBs. Afterall, the other players were also recruited by this staff, so it isn't like there is a bias towards "their guy" as we've heard about at other times. This is a competition between guys they wanted to be at NU....(or at least with them) and they still seem to feel AM is the best guy. Maybe he is?

Oh you’re spot on.

They think the kid is THE guy to run their offense. They obviously want the others there as well or they wouldn’t have recruited them, but they see in Adrian a guy who can do everything the offense demands. He actually DID that in 2018. Fix him and all the noise goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back