• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone said there would be no evaluation?
Yeah I agree, I'm pretty sure the assessment is he will be the guy after evaluation. Just due to experience, knowledge, what they are seeing in practice, etc.

McCaffery looked great but he had the advantage of being a change of pace. It's the reason they require a minimum of X carries/catches/throws on stats. Otherwise your best QB ratings will be that WR or RB who threw successfully on a couple trick plays.

Last edited:
If he was hurt and ineffective, he shouldn’t have been playing. As for what Adrian did in 2018, it was ok. Nothing earth shattering. He was a turnover machine last year also. That will get you beat more times than not, and it did.
He ran for over 600 yards as a true freshman and threw for 2,600 yards with a nearly 65% completion rate. No it’s not earth shattering but for a true freshman who missed his senior year of HS it’s encouraging. He certainly didn’t play up to expectations and he’s going to have to improve to keep his job but the QB position is solid thanks to Frost.

If you’ve watched any of his film, he’s limited from a passing standpoint. That throw against Iowa was awesome, but that’s the outlier. His durability should be an issue for you because if he’s the starter, he’s going to keep the ball on RPO’s....a lot. That could be good at times and could be bad. Martinez issue running the ball this year looked like indecisiveness to me. As a freshman he’d take off. In 2019, he didn’t have that burst. Don’t disagree that Martinez isn’t as durable as it seems he would be for his size. As to his ceiling, you have to admit when he’s on, it’s damned impressive. Not arguing will ball security either. He was poor with that as a sophomore and it needs to improve.

Off Martinez is as good or slightly better than he was as a freshman, he’s your guy. If next Spring or Fall he looks like this year, then let’s have a look at McCaffrey.
F that. I wanna see what McCaffery can do now. Let’s see what he’s got. The little we’ve seen has been gamer type. What is there to lose? Good grief, not like Martinez was marching NU up and down the field. It was a serious struggle for him.

F that. I wanna see what McCaffery can do now. Let’s see what he’s got. The little we’ve seen has been gamer type. What is there to lose? Good grief, not like Martinez was marching NU up and down the field. It was a serious struggle for him.
No.

No no no no no.

That's not how you run a football team.

Your evaluation of McCaffrey is based on a sample set that is so incredibly limited that it is almost meaningless. McCaffrey was never asked to do the types of things required of a full time, every down player.

McCaffrey, and everyone else, will get an opportunity in practice. The best players will play. This ongoing discussion is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Sure.

Let's stuck every kid in a starter role and 'See what they got'.

Should be even more interesting than 4-8 and 5-7.

Has anyone said there would be no evaluation?

A few, but even folks with a less 'jaded' outlook on depth chart placement (me) look at the coming quarterback competition as one that's largely been decided by the staff.

Now I do think that if Vedral or McCaffrey have a phenomenal Spring and/or Fall and just take the job over, that predetermined 'lean' to AM would change. I don't think Frost/Verduzco are so bought into AM that they can't fathom a switch, but it sure seems to me as if the staff is very much sold on AM as their starter. Right now. I say that without the critical snark others are saying it with, because I have seen exactly '0' minutes of practice, sat in the same number of group meetings, etc. I don't know what they see that none of us do. I also don't know that LM's handful of awesome plays aren't HIS ceiling and the rest is down hill with practices full of missed reads, fumbles, interceptions and overall average play. I know you know all of this, but I'm just writing this out for the benefit of the folks who don't understand how football (or any team sport for that matter) works.

Hell, we're four and a half months from Spring football and the noise from the 'Bench AM' crowd is already a dull roar. If he's healthy and they all play in Spring......if AM doesn't own the position and put the other two to shame, this will be a long, whiney summer for a few on here.

A few, but even folks with a less 'jaded' outlook on depth chart placement (me) look at the coming quarterback competition as one that's largely been decided by the staff.

Now I do think that if Vedral or McCaffrey have a phenomenal Spring and/or Fall and just take the job over, that predetermined 'lean' to AM would change. I don't think Frost/Verduzco are so bought into AM that they can't fathom a switch, but it sure seems to me as if the staff is very much sold on AM as their starter. Right now. I say that without the critical snark others are saying it with, because I have seen exactly '0' minutes of practice, sat in the same number of group meetings, etc. I don't know what they see that none of us do. I also don't know that LM's handful of awesome plays aren't HIS ceiling and the rest is down hill with practices full of missed reads, fumbles, interceptions and overall average play. I know you know all of this, but I'm just writing this out for the benefit of the folks who don't understand how football (or any team sport for that matter) works.

Hell, we're four and a half months from Spring football and the noise from the 'Bench AM' crowd is already a dull roar. If he's healthy and they all play in Spring......if AM doesn't own the position and put the other two to shame, this will be a long, whiney summer for a few on here.

Pretty much how I'm thinking of this as well. In general, I think whatever the injuries were that AM had were on top of the OL falling apart the first few games and really had the coaches struggling to figure something out. That's my best explanation for them not giving Vedral some run earlier in the year.

Second half of the year, the OL was better (much better, IMO), but AM was injured and in a shell. I wish they'd gone to Vedral earlier in the year to get him ready and he wasn't great at MN, but did a really good job outside of the fumble at Indiana, but then he got hurt as well.

McCaffrey's an unfinished product right now - great potential and electric with the ball, but I don't think he's ready to run the entire offense yet (or even a substantial part of it), and then there was the RS issue, and the idea of not causing issues by throwing him into the fire with a shell of a WR group as well.

Best case scenario for us is if AM takes a step forward from his freshman year, is healthy and continues to learn to be decisive and make good decisions. Add in the depth and development I expect to see from LM and NV and we have a good QB roster with 3 guys I'd trust to toss into the game at any point.

Overall our offense has a lot fewer holes to fill than last year. I expect us to be putting up 500 yards a game regularly next year - I'm an optimist, but I really don't think Frost has forgotten how to coach an offense and I think at minimum one of the 3 QB's can get us there.

Last edited:

He might but stating he is the starter without question isn’t the best way to evaluate things. Martinez’s play wasn’t good enough to declare that and i think frost knows that was well hence why I think he isn’t named starter without questioning.
When did Frost name Martinez a starter for next year? All *** was saying was that he believes Martinez will be the starter. Frost hasn't given any indication that he's handing the position over to Adrian next year

No.

No no no no no.

Your evaluation of McCaffrey is based on a sample set that is so incredibly limited that it is almost meaningless. McCaffrey was never asked to do the types of things required of a full time, every down player.

McCaffrey, and everyone else, will get an opportunity in practice. The best players will play. This ongoing discussion is ludicrous.

I've been guilty of calling for LM over AM but, after stepping back and thinking about it, the staff clearly had packages for LM and he was effective as a change of pace. I think he can be really good here but he wasn't ready to be "the guy".

AM clearly took a step back in 2019. I think he was dinged all year. I remember him struggling to pick himself up off the turf after a couple of runs against Illinois where there wasn't any sign of hard contact. That was the point that I started to suspect he was never fully healthy this past season.

I think the coaches will do the right thing. I also suspect, if he is healthy, that will be to play Martinez with packages for LM, and maybe NV, to give opposing defenses more to prepare for and to take advantage of LM's athleticism.

Last edited:

Have you looked up total offensive yardage against Wisconsin this year?

No.

No no no no no.

We will see. All I want is the best players play. Fair enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back