• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adidas v Nike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
It came up again in the recruiting Forum. So I thought I would bring it here so that it is not blocking up the AD thread.

I remember a few years ago I said that I was starting to see more intercity kids wearing adidas. I even related the story of a young man (who now is a college football player at Bowie State) who I asked why he wore adidas and not NIKE. His response was. "NIKE is my parents shoes. " Shoes and athletic apparel are every day wear to college kids now. adidas has done some very innovative things the last few years. adidas and assorted companies they own (reebok) have had an international growth of 17%. Nike growth less than 7% over the last 5 years. adidas is closing the gap. Especially among the youth crowd.

@HuskerWeatherman pointed out that the younger crowd in Austin wears a lot of adidas. One of the cool things that they have done is allow people to design their own shoes and clothes. So if you want pink shell toes with green stripes. You can get them.

Additionally they are plugging into inter city culture with Beyoncé Superstar https://www.adidas.com/us/beyonce and Kanye's Yeezy brands. https://news.adidas.com/yeezy.

I think that the one place NIKE still dominates is basketball. Where adidas dominates soccer.

So I just want to say that this whole issue of recruiting being down because of adidas. It is just a farce.

It came up again in the recruiting Forum. So I thought I would bring it here so that it is not blocking up the AD thread.

I remember a few years ago I said that I was starting to see more intercity kids wearing adidas. I even related the story of a young man (who now is a college football player at Bowie State) who I asked why he wore adidas and not NIKE. His response was. "NIKE is my parents shoes. " Shoes and athletic apparel are every day wear to college kids now. adidas has done some very innovative things the last few years. adidas and assorted companies they own (reebok) have had an international growth of 17%. Nike growth less than 7% over the last 5 years. adidas is closing the gap. Especially among the youth crowd.

@HuskerWeatherman pointed out that the younger crowd in Austin wears a lot of adidas. One of the cool things that they have done is allow people to design their own shoes and clothes. So if you want pink shell toes with green stripes. You can get them.

Additionally they are plugging into inter city culture with Beyoncé Superstar https://www.adidas.com/us/beyonce and Kanye's Yeezy brands. https://news.adidas.com/yeezy.

I think that the one place NIKE still dominates is basketball. Where adidas dominates soccer.

So I just want to say that this whole issue of recruiting being down because of adidas. It is just a farce.
Seems that off brand clothing is becoming bigger again. This all goes in cycles. A lot of kids looking like it’s 1985. For basketball shoes it’s mostly Nike but my kids don’t really wear Nike or adidas gear much.

I stopped buying Nike years ago because they're too expensive. Same for Adidas and Under Armor as well.

Been buying a lot of New Balance and Sketchers tennis shoes on Amazon. Can usually find a good pair for $30 if you're not overly picky on the exact style or color. Why pay $140 for a pair of shoes when you can get a pair of equal quality for less than a fourth of that?

Last edited:

I stopped buying Nike years ago because they're too expensive. Same for Adidas and Under Armor as well.

Been buying a lot of New Balance and Sketchers tennis shoes on Amazon. Can usually find a good pair for $30 if you're not overly picky on the exact style or color. Why pay $140 for a pair of shoes when you can get a pair of equal quality for less than a fourth of that?

Have you ever owned a pair of something like the Adidas Ultraboost/NMD line? Your NB or Sketchers really aren't even close lol.

I think this gets overblown. Nike schools are dominating CFB lately, but I think it's who the schools are and not the brand. I believe the last 10 CFB National Champs are Nike schools and something like 18 of the last 19 (Auburn being the exception). I don't know the college basketball affiliations as well, but Louisville's vacated 2013 NC may be the only Adidas in recent history.

Wow, after writing that it may be a bigger deal than I thought!!!

As for what I wear, I run a decent amount so I don't wear Nike or Adidas. I run in Asics or Brooks usually and then turn them into my daily wearers after they've logged too many miles.

My 17 year old son wears Adidas ultraboosts and Sperry's. He is a soccer player and does prefer Adidas soccer boots.

I stopped buying NIKE 15 years ago when their shoes would either fall apart WAY too early, and were garbage as a running shoe (for me at least.)

Kangaroos baby! They're coming back!

1611849123155.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back