• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A word on CSU

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
I had forgotten that Eustachy took the CSU job. That guy is a pure coach. Miles evidently left some quality talent for him, because if Eustachy has some he'll get the most out of it. I know they got cooked in the last game, but winning one is a big feat.

oh, and Iverson for CSU is the son of my 6th grade math/science teacher. Followed him a bit during recruiting...ransferred from Minn, I believe.

I had forgotten that Eustachy took the CSU job. That guy is a pure coach. Miles evidently left some quality talent for him, because if Eustachy has some he'll get the most out of it. I know they got cooked in the last game, but winning one is a big feat.

oh, and Iverson for CSU is the son of my 6th grade math/science teacher. Followed him a bit during recruiting...ransferred from Minn, I believe.
Yep, maybe we got wrong coach....one of only 4 coaches to take 4 different teams to NCAA's

Still should have took Groce

Their 'Unofficial' Mascot is good too! :Biggrin:

proxy.jpg

Yep, maybe we got wrong coach....one of only 4 coaches to take 4 different teams to NCAA's

I was a big Tim Floyd fan at ISU and Eustachy made his teams look weak by comparison. Much, much better coach. CSU couldn't have done better.

Last edited:

I don't think they had a chance with Groce. Gregg Marshall on the other hand would have been a great choice. We'll see about miles...early indications are good.

I don't think they had a chance with Groce. Gregg Marshall on the other hand would have been a great choice. We'll see about miles...early indications are good.

Think you're right on Groce. Miles exceeded expectations this year for sure.

Think you're right on Groce. Miles exceeded expectations this year for sure.

Not too hard to do when you are picked last. As I mentioned in another thread a while back. The tough part is making your way up the ladder. There aren't many programs you can say "well, we can probably pass them up"...if any. Iowa is on the rise. Purdue will be back. Minn? Tuby blows so maybe but that will be tough. Illinois? No..they are only going to get better. Maryland? Not likely. The top 5? No chance. NW and Penn St and MAYBE rutgers...those are three programs NU should expect to always be better than.

So, despite Miles having done better than people thought in year 1....he's got an incredibly tough job ahead of him...and frankly, the odds are against him.

The catcalls inviting Eustachy to the post-game party at the Kappa house that rained down on Eustachy from the CU (Colorado, not Creighton) student section the night CU blew out CSU were off-the-chart hilarious (even a few guys at the end of CSU's bench were having to cover their mouths to keep from being seen laughing). :) That game was also Exhibit A about how overrated the MWC was in BB this season. I picked all of them to be out of the NCAA tournament the first weekend (despite having been gifted incredibly inflated high seeds). That was about the only thing I got right in my brackets this year, but it was something that was obvious to any knowledgeable, objective observer who had the opportunity to see a lot of MWC games this year, as we do here in the Rocky Mountain region. The MWC is certainly a good mid-major BB conference (despite losing to a 12, 13, 14 and 15 seed in this year's tournament :eek:), but it remains a big leap from their top four or five teams to the top four or five teams in each of the BCS conferences.

Last edited:

I agree, I think there was about a 0%-3% chance Groce was gonna come to NU. I think NU did about as well as they were going to do with Miles, so far I think it looks good. That's more based on the level of recruits than this years results. But as we see in football all the time, what appears to be a good recruiting class may end up being far from it.

Not too hard to do when you are picked last. As I mentioned in another thread a while back. The tough part is making your way up the ladder. There aren't many programs you can say "well, we can probably pass them up"...if any. Iowa is on the rise. Purdue will be back. Minn? Tuby blows so maybe but that will be tough. Illinois? No..they are only going to get better. Maryland? Not likely. The top 5? No chance. NW and Penn St and MAYBE rutgers...those are three programs NU should expect to always be better than.

So, despite Miles having done better than people thought in year 1....he's got an incredibly tough job ahead of him...and frankly, the odds are against him.

I think most people around here just want to be in the NCAA tournament conversation most years, making 2-3 every 5 years. To do that, NU doesn't need to be a top 5 B1G team. If NU can hover in that 7 range most years they will get some NCAA bids here and there.

Did anyone expect double-digit wins? Any victories over top-half conference teams? Any talk about a possible post-season tournament berth, no matter how lowly?

if the expectation was last, he obviously exceeded that. I expected them to lose almost every game based on how putrid the talent level was.

not trying to argue or project future success based on this year, and the odds are definitely against him, but i think he far exceeded what was thought possible with this roster

The catcalls inviting Eustachy to the post-game party at the Kappa house that rained down on Eustachy from the CU (Colorado, not Creighton) student section the night CU blew out CSU were off-the-chart hilarious (even a few guys at the end of CSU's bench were having to cover their mouths to keep from being seen laughing). :) That game was also Exhibit A about how overrated the MWC was in BB this season. I picked all of them to be out of the NCAA tournament the first weekend (despite having been gifted incredibly inflated high seeds). That was about the only thing I got right in my brackets this year, but it was something that was obvious to any knowledgeable, objective observer who had the opportunity to see a lot of MWC games this year, as we do here in the Rocky Mountain region. The MWC is certainly a good mid-major BB conference (despite losing to a 12, 13, 14 and 15 seed in this year's tournament :eek:), but it remains a big leap from their top four or five teams to the top four or five teams in each of the BCS conferences.

Yeah, pretty hilarious and original, given he's 10 years sober.

Stay classy, sCUm...

Yeah, pretty hilarious and original, given he's 10 years sober.

Stay classy, sCUm...

No different than when I was at NU and the student section would start saying the ABC's when Jamaal Tinsley from Iowa St. would be at the free throw line because it was reported that he wasn't the smartest player on the team.

Did anyone expect double-digit wins? Any victories over top-half conference teams? Any talk about a possible post-season tournament berth, no matter how lowly?

if the expectation was last, he obviously exceeded that. I expected them to lose almost every game based on how putrid the talent level was.

not trying to argue or project future success based on this year, and the odds are definitely against him, but i think he far exceeded what was thought possible with this roster

He exceeded expectations. Yes. But if you look at the pre-season prediction thread the average prediction was 12 wins. So NU exceeded that number by 3 games. I mean "double digit wins" is pretty to achieve when you play a 31 game regular season. Even Penn State managed that. Even Penn State beat a Michigan. The only "top half" team NU beat was #6 Iowa. Yes, expectations were extremely low and he did exceed them and there were glimmers of hope.

He talks the talk...he's got a decent start in recruiting...he's new and fresh. So yeah there's hope. The only thing I was trying to point out in the post you replied to is that breaking through the bottom third isn't a given...especially if Minnesota hits a home run. If they botch their hire then you can throw Minn into the group with NW and Penn St. that NU could quickly leave behind. from there it's going to be a biznatch.

No different than when I was at NU and the student section would start saying the ABC's when Jamaal Tinsley from Iowa St. would be at the free throw line because it was reported that he wasn't the smartest player on the team.

Sal is dead! Go Big Red!

I'm sure the Antlers had worse than that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back