• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A Sobering Stat

It's to Nebraska's benefit.

If fans didn't care or have high expectations, what keeps the program at it's current level of importance? NU fans just let whatever happens happen and you'll see continued 'Wyoming' level program success.

What benefit could possibly come from the fan base no longer caring? With caring comes financial investment in the programs success.
Absolutely!

I just hope that the best fan base in all of American team sports continues to support the program like they always have

I'm just saying Texas showed everyone we weren't the same. The fear of playing Nebraska was never the same after that. As you said earlier, some teams had never had that fear, Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, but most of the Big Eight did. The Colorado loss just cemented it.
Ok, fair enough!!

Hmmm...I disagree

Texas handed us our 1st home loss in a long, long time, but I would hardly say that the 1998 Longhorns came into Lincoln with a 100% confidence that they would be walking out with a win

Besides...I'm talking about OUR confidence - a confidence that seems to have been lost in Boulder, 2001
Nope...1999 showed the collapse hadn't yet occurred. Our confidence was shattered for nearly 2 decades during the 2000 Oklahoma game, when, as #1, we raced to an easy 14-0 lead after the 1st quarter, only to be trailing 24-14 at halftime on our way to a frustrating 31-14 trouncing in Stoops' first year. Earlier in the year we'd already shown the propensity to choke against a bad Notre Dame team in the "Sea of Red" game. Later, we let K-State beat us and we never beat another truly good team until the upset of OU the following year. I think it took everything out of the players and staff to win that game...nothing was left. Then of course, Colorado and Miami demolished us and the rest is history.

As much as I hate to give such satisfaction to a program and it's "fans" that I detest even more than Texas, what Husker aficionado will disagree that the events of Black Friday, 2001 didn't mark the beginning of the end for Nebraska football as we had known it for the better part of four decades?

What happened that day in Boulder was truly unprecedented...

Never before in the modern era of Nebraska football {read: Devaney/Osborne/Solich} had our Huskers suffered such an indignity as a 62-36 setback to an overall, traditionally mediocre program and middling team as the 2001 Buffs!

Of course, the term "blowout" is a subjective one.
I, personally, define a blowout as a three touchdown differential - twenty / twenty one points, in my book, constitutes a blowout.

Per my own definition of a loss by 20 or more points qualifying as a blowout - we can see that Nebraska endured a grand total of just 12 blowout losses between the start of Bob Devaney's inaugural season of 1962 and the 12th game of the 2001 season under Solich.

Over a period of 40 years, the Cornhuskers had been blown out just 12 times and, even then, only by the very best competition!

Oklahoma beat us by 20 or more points 7 times
Miami did it twice
Alabama, Florida St, and Georgia Tech - each once

Each of these opponents were/are college football blue bloods, modern era superpowers, and/or {as in the case of 1990 Georgia Tech} national champions!

However, since that BLACKEST of post Thanksgiving Fridays in 2001, we have endured a SHOCKING 33 additional blowout losses!

It's made all the more sickening to acknowledge that many of these humiliations have been at the hands of programs and teams that NEVER, EVER have any business scoring blowout wins over Nebraska!

Programs and teams the likes of:
Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, UCLA, Iowa, and Minnesota.

Seems to me that something was lost that day in Boulder - something invaluable that has yet to be recovered...

Call it confidence or swagger or air of invincibility or aura or intimidation factor or mojo...
Call it whatever you will - we need it back!!

What think you?
How about bad recruiting, player development and strength, coaching, and play calling. No omen. No bad luck. Just someone else did it better.
We don't deserve or have a right to win just because we used to. Kids here in Florida play year round on club teams.
That is why we recruit them.

Like K-State two week later?
That was the best K-State team in maybe - ever, and they had been gunning for us for at least 10 years. And it took a near decapitation of EC to do it.

Everyone paying attention should have known that we'd have a drop-off in '98, even if TO had stayed. But we righted the ship in '99.

Black Friday 2001 was the turning point. It felt that way at the time, and still does today.

I do agree that the Colorado game in 2001 changed Nebraska football. But I also agree chinks in the armor started to show up in 98. I think teams started to figure out the way to beat Nebraska was to attack them and the proverbial punch them in the mouth. I dont know how it happened but we seemed to not be able to recruit and develop offensive linemen after 2000.

Last edited:
During the Osborne years, even when we were bad we were good. The 1990 team finished with three losses, two of which were to co-national champions Colorado and Georgia Tech. The 1991 team finished with two losses, to co-national champions Washington and Miami.

Recently, a Minnesota fans asked me "How many Husker fans does it take to change a light bulb?" The answer is "five--one to actually change the bulb and four to stand around and talk about how good the old bulb used to be". It gets frustrating when fans of a school has had a few good seasons only recently now talk down to us.

I do agree that the Colorado game in 2001 changed Nebraska football. But I also agree chinks in the armor started to show up in 98. I think teams started to figure out the way to beat Nebraska was to attack them and the proverbial punch them in the mouth. I dont know how it happened but we seemed to not be able to recruit and develop offensive linemen after 2000.
I had a high school teammate (basketball) whose son was on the football team from 1994 to 1998 including his redshirt year. When the player visited after the 1999 season when he was a pro he told his father, the players now had no idea how much hard work you have to put in to be successful. Those guys in the 90s worked and pushed each other to the max. His son said the current players thought they were good because they had been recruited by Nebraska. They didn't realize how much work it took to be Nebraska. It was telling when Scott Frost had Wistrom and Peter talk to the current team but they obviously didn't impart to everyone what it takes.

Nope...1999 showed the collapse hadn't yet occurred. Our confidence was shattered for nearly 2 decades during the 2000 Oklahoma game, when, as #1, we raced to an easy 14-0 lead after the 1st quarter, only to be trailing 24-14 at halftime on our way to a frustrating 31-14 trouncing in Stoops' first year. Earlier in the year we'd already shown the propensity to choke against a bad Notre Dame team in the "Sea of Red" game. Later, we let K-State beat us and we never beat another truly good team until the upset of OU the following year. I think it took everything out of the players and staff to win that game...nothing was left. Then of course, Colorado and Miami demolished us and the rest is history.
Agreed, there was no collapse and '99 was the last great Husker team!

However, I take issue with you assertion that '00 OU shattered our confidence!

Losing to our unfortunately removed, but longstanding rival - one that we had lost many, many times to...

Losing to a blue blood opponent - even one that had been down for a decade - even one that we could not have known would go on to win the national championship

hardly qualifies as a loss so as to shatter confidence!

In short, there is NO shame in losing to the Sooners - even by a large margin

There is, however, much shame in being blown out by the likes of Colorado

Last edited:
We did not fall from relevancy because teams were no longer afraid of us. We had earned our spot at the top through years of hard work. Many changes had been made over the course of the 80s and early 90s to allow us to finally break through. Teams were afraid of us because we were so good, we weren't good because teams were afraid of us.

Losing to K-State and Texas didn't plant a seed of doubt that we never recovered from. Otherwise, losses in 1996 would have done the same.

After 98 there was a slow burn followed by some big crashes. A loss or even a down year doesn't shatter confidence for decades. Different players, different coaches, different everything. No one could say "We lost 2009 to Texas because our confidence had been shattered in 1998." That is silly.

In the same way that you can't sabotage decades with a single down year, you can't rebuild to that level of greatness in a single year, either. If we beat a really big team, like shocking Ohio State this year, it isn't going to magically rebuild our confidence and put us back on the pedestal. Yes, we need a champion's mentality. We need to believe we are going to win. But our superior scheme, talent, development, coaching, all of it is why we won before, and that is what they feared. No game destroyed that fully, unless our schemes, talent, development, and coaching were all just smoke and mirrors.

But they weren't just smoke and mirrors. We had amazing talent, cutting edge schemes, great culture and accountability, serious development of players willing to wait their turn. That's it.

Plain and simple, we just have to rebuild and rebuild and get better and get better. What else do us fans have to do but keep hoping and encouraging, supporting and being crazy, insane hooligans for our team? It isn't like we have a different one.

By Frost's 5th year we will know if he can build it up to that level by his 10th or 15th year.

I had a high school teammate (basketball) whose son was on the football team from 1994 to 1998 including his redshirt year. When the player visited after the 1999 season when he was a pro he told his father, the players now had no idea how much hard work you have to put in to be successful. Those guys in the 90s worked and pushed each other to the max. His son said the current players thought they were good because they had been recruited by Nebraska. They didn't realize how much work it took to be Nebraska. It was telling when Scott Frost had Wistrom and Peter talk to the current team but they obviously didn't impart to everyone what it takes.

This!

How about bad recruiting, player development and strength, coaching, and play calling. No omen. No bad luck. Just someone else did it better.
We don't deserve or have a right to win just because we used to. Kids here in Florida play year round on club teams.
That is why we recruit them.
I don't doubt that recruiting, player development and strength, coaching and play calling all went down following Osborne's retirement, however, I also feel sure that a decided drop in the mentality that hung over the program also plays a part in Nebraska's subsequent downfall

As much as I hate to give such satisfaction to a program and it's "fans" that I detest even more than Texas, what Husker aficionado will disagree that the events of Black Friday, 2001 didn't mark the beginning of the end for Nebraska football as we had known it for the better part of four decades?

What happened that day in Boulder was truly unprecedented...

Never before in the modern era of Nebraska football {read: Devaney/Osborne/Solich} had our Huskers suffered such an indignity as a 62-36 setback to an overall, traditionally mediocre program and middling team as the 2001 Buffs!

Of course, the term "blowout" is a subjective one.
I, personally, define a blowout as a three touchdown differential - twenty / twenty one points, in my book, constitutes a blowout.

Per my own definition of a loss by 20 or more points qualifying as a blowout - we can see that Nebraska endured a grand total of just 12 blowout losses between the start of Bob Devaney's inaugural season of 1962 and the 12th game of the 2001 season under Solich.

Over a period of 40 years, the Cornhuskers had been blown out just 12 times and, even then, only by the very best competition!

Oklahoma beat us by 20 or more points 7 times
Miami did it twice
Alabama, Florida St, and Georgia Tech - each once

Each of these opponents were/are college football blue bloods, modern era superpowers, and/or {as in the case of 1990 Georgia Tech} national champions!

However, since that BLACKEST of post Thanksgiving Fridays in 2001, we have endured a SHOCKING 33 additional blowout losses!

It's made all the more sickening to acknowledge that many of these humiliations have been at the hands of programs and teams that NEVER, EVER have any business scoring blowout wins over Nebraska!

Programs and teams the likes of:
Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, UCLA, Iowa, and Minnesota.

Seems to me that something was lost that day in Boulder - something invaluable that has yet to be recovered...

Call it confidence or swagger or air of invincibility or aura or intimidation factor or mojo...
Call it whatever you will - we need it back!!

What think you?
I call it a partnership of Steve Pederson and Harvey Perlman.

The sobering stats to me are:
  1. No Conference titles since 1999
  2. No 11 win seasons since 2001
  3. No Division titles since 2012
  4. No 10 win seasons since 2012
  5. No winning seasons since 2016
  6. No bowls since 2016
  7. No ranked seasons since 2013
  8. No individual trophy winners since 2009
  9. No All Americans since 2011
Most sobering IMO, no bowls since 2016. Runner-up: No winning seasons since 2016.

Broken bowl streak, +30 bowl appearances in a row ..... 2004, no bowl. I thought one year hiccup. Whoops :Facepalm:.

Thanks Callahan, Riley and Frost. I'm so tired "Next Year".

Well at least clean program (so far) .... unlike UThugs, OU, SMU, etc

21ST_CENTURY.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back