• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A Sobering Stat

giphy.gif

It may be arguable to some that NU didn't "deserve" to "share" the national title with Michigan that year,
but it is inarguable that NU had a damn good team that year.

Losing to AZ in 96 like we did hurt, but it was a far cry from "the beginning of the end"
But it made TO want to retire and here we are. Had 1 super coach in Pelini since then.

But it made TO want to retire and here we are. Had 1 super coach in Pelini since then.
You can't be serious!
Are you really saying that TO left because he was afraid of the competition coming into the conference???

Going into the inaugural 1996 season of the Big 12, Nebraska was, far and away, the most dominant program in the entire country!

Over the preceding 10 years {1986-1995}:
Texas Tech had won just 55% of their games
Texas won at a clip of only 57%
Baylor snagged a win 58% of the time
and
Texas A&M, with a winning rate of 78% had been, admittedly, far more successful than I had remembered, but, even still, it remains ridiculous to suggest that the arrival of these 4 programs scared Osborne into retirement!

Equally implausible would be an assertion that any or all of our Big 8 foes were improving to a point where Osborne felt compelled to tuck tail and run.

You can't be serious!
Are you really saying that TO left because he was afraid of the competition coming into the conference???

Going into the inaugural 1996 season of the Big 12, Nebraska was, far and away, the most dominant program in the entire country!

Over the preceding 10 years {1986-1995}:
Texas Tech had won just 55% of their games
Texas won at a clip of only 57%
Baylor snagged a win 58% of the time
and
Texas A&M, with a winning rate of 78% had been, admittedly, far more successful than I had remembered, but, even still, it remains ridiculous to suggest that the arrival of these 4 programs scared Osborne into retirement!

Equally implausible would be an assertion that any or all of our Big 8 foes were improving to a point where Osborne felt compelled to tuck tail and run.
See you agree

The sobering stats to me are:
  1. No Conference titles since 1999
  2. No 11 win seasons since 2001
  3. No Division titles since 2012
  4. No 10 win seasons since 2012
  5. No winning seasons since 2016
  6. No bowls since 2016
  7. No ranked seasons since 2013
  8. No individual trophy winners since 2009
  9. No All Americans since 2011

Additional depressing stats:

• No first-team all conference player since 2015 (Foltz).
  • No non-special teams first-team all conference since 2014 (Bell [coaches], Gregory [both])
  • No first-team lineman since 2012 (Long)
  • No first-team offensive tackle since 2003 (Incognito)
We've been short on elite talent for a while now...

• No non-special teams first-team all conference since 2014 (Bell [coaches], Gregory [both])

I think we’ve had some players that could have become elite or at least all conference, but talent development just hasn’t been hitting on all cylinders.

This is the year we break a couple of those. Calling my shot! One of Jaimes, Farniok, or Jurgens makes first team all conference.

D. Williams on defense, as well. A couple other guys on each side of the ball right there in the mix.

This is the year we break a couple of those. Calling my shot! One of Jaimes, Farniok, or Jurgens makes first team all conference.

D. Williams on defense, as well. A couple other guys on each side of the ball right there in the mix.

I think one or more of those may make all-conference, but I think it is a stretch to say any of them will make first team. Farniok is a no, Jaimes has potential but needs to get back to his old form and better, and Jurgens is probably a year early for any big accolades. Williams I think is good as well, but he will need to stay healthy, and again is doubtful for 1st team. There are a lot of really good players in this conference.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back