• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A good link conference realignment, as well a few of my thoughts on going to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is a risk, and a reason the B1G might be perfectly satisfied to grab a combo such as Virginia/Virginia Tech, KU/KSU, or Syracuse/BC. On the other hand, Texas is the holy grail money wise, and recruiting wise, plus if the LHN fails they may be humbled enough to understand hat by must start playing nice.

I keep seeing people mention KU, and in this case KU/KSU. That will NEVER happen. KU brings nothing to the table. The don't have a big market and they don't have good football. Basketball is a nice frosting in all this, but football is the cake. Academics are important, but FOOTBALL is driving ALL of this re-organization. And forget about ISU too. They add nothing either.

I've always thought Syracuse was a possibility, and BC might work, but BC is a private, Catholic university... not sure how well that would fit in the Big Ten.

Something else to consider with all these moves eastward: Some have speculated that poaching Maryland from the ACC may have been a subtle shot at Notre Dame. But consider this possibility: The Big Ten adding the NYC and DC markets becomes much more appealing to Notre Dame, who admittedly wanted the ACC affilation to have a greater East Coast presence. Where on the East Coast? The part of the East Coast that matters is the Northeast part: DC, NYC, Philly, and Boston.

Texas is much more likely to move to a Pac-16, in my opinion. They'll take the best four of the Big 12 and go west, and probably get their special deal for media rights from the PAC.

Kansas and KSU (to a lesser extent) bring the Kansas City market into play. Plus both schools benefit from all the red that would fill up their stadiums.

I keep seeing people mention KU, and in this case KU/KSU. That will NEVER happen. KU brings nothing to the table. The don't have a big market and they don't have good football. Basketball is a nice frosting in all this, but football is the cake. Academics are important, but FOOTBALL is driving ALL of this re-organization. And forget about ISU too. They add nothing either.

I've always thought Syracuse was a possibility, and BC might work, but BC is a private, Catholic university... not sure how well that would fit in the Big Ten.

Something else to consider with all these moves eastward: Some have speculated that poaching Maryland from the ACC may have been a subtle shot at Notre Dame. But consider this possibility: The Big Ten adding the NYC and DC markets becomes much more appealing to Notre Dame, who admittedly wanted the ACC affilation to have a greater East Coast presence. Where on the East Coast? The part of the East Coast that matters is the Northeast part: DC, NYC, Philly, and Boston.

Good point...not too mention the ultimate demise of the ACC as we know it is coming if the SEC and B1G continue to 16. It's all but over for them, especially if 1 or 2 more of the power football programs of the ACC leave. Then ND is ourrrsss.....muahhhhahhhhahhh. :stirthepot:

Texas is much more likely to move to a Pac-16, in my opinion. They'll take the best four of the Big 12 and go west, and probably get their special deal for media rights from the PAC.

Once UT started talking a special deal with the PAC 16, the PAC 16 said no thanks and cut off further expansion talks with them. Now I think UT did that partly to ruin any chance OU could bolt to the PAC 16, but never the less the PAC 16 didn't go for their requests.

Kansas and KSU (to a lesser extent) bring the Kansas City market into play. Plus both schools benefit from all the red that would fill up their stadiums.

I hadn't thought of it that way but you make a good point about the KC market. You'd have to take both I would guess, due to political considerations. Both are supported by Kansas state tax money.

They could try it, but you're discounting that tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and PSU, will not act like the abused wives clubs that the Big XII and SWC were, Nebraska never did act that way towards UT. Think of it like this Nebraska added tremendous value to UT in the BIG XII days, but we were in their league. If UT, comes to the B1G, they are moving to our style league. If they pulled any of that crap they would learn real quick what a 15 to 1 vote feels like. Maybe they would create problems, but they would be their own problems that the rest of the league wouldn't tolerate.

IF they try it, they've just shown that they are not a good fit for the BIG.

I think Delaney is considerate of geographic and cultural fit as much as TV market. Now, will the dollar trump everything else? In the case of Texas, I don't think so. I'd bet you anything that Delaney and the B1G would make exceptions for ND to join before they would take Texas as a equal member. ND brings more TV's than Texas (based on real viewers, not just state population). It's not always going to be about the money. Maryland and Rutgers fit in most of what seems to be important to the B1G. They are not football powers, like Texas would like to be, but they bring market money and a decent cultural fit. We could all be surprised in the end but, much like the earlier round of expansion talks...the Texas angle to the B1G never had any merit (and I understand the Bevo Network was a no go for the Pac and B1G and maybe it dies and things change).

I'm not saying that the B1G would not love to have Notre Dame, I am saying that Texas is worth more, ALOT more! Granted my source is one TV insider who posted on Frank the Tank, but according to him Nebraska adds more in terms of TV dollars than Notre Dame does because of the intensity of fan interest. Every Husker fan on the planet buys the cable network they are on. Check my facts that I posted at the beginning.

As for culture, again, I don't think it's as far off as people want to believe.

According to the analysis that I posted, KU brings in at least enough TV sets to support their own weight and then some.

I am not up on the success or lack of for Bevo TV. I understood that ESPN paid them $$$ for it. Either way they don't get a seat at the B1G table unless they sign over their media rights. If they do, then great let them in. If not, well telling recruits that they will be seen in millions more households more times each week will become more of a bigger deal going forward. And Texas knows this.

The TV market will be dramatically changing in the next few years. Myself and many friends of mine are getting away from cable TV. I have dropped down to the lowest package available and supplemented with hulu, netflix etc. I can see myself not having cable at all within a couple of years. This is a trend that is moving forward at a rather quick pace. What will happen to all these huge TV contracts when the subscribers start dwindeling away?

Beyond the more obvious ones, the Texas Legislature will be a huge impediment to UT leaving their "brothers" behind. TAMU ended up being ok for leaving, mainly because the Big 12 settled down after the UT/OU scare. UT bolts, TTU & Baylor are in a very tough position; they have lots of alumni in politics to help them out.

The legislature could try to get in the way, Texas could grab Tech, OU, and Okie State and run off to the PAC 16. All reasons why Texas might not, valid ones at that.

However, people here are denying the possibility over what amount to prejudices generated from our experiences in the Big XII. All I'm saying is that there is a scenario brewing where Texas could potentially want the B1G, and if you think that there is a conference in the country that doesn't want Texas you're very mistaken.

Let me break it down. I'm going to do a quick SWOT analysis for Texas joining the B1G.

Strengths

Very strong academics, real congruity in culture, size, university mission and standards. A home run for the CIC

Huge alumni base, huge fan base, popular in several large TV markets.

Strong history in athletics, national championships, Heisman trophies, lots of wins.

Weaknesses

LHN failing

Inconsistent football for available talent

Geographic challenges, increased travel budget. Scheduling woes for student athletes.

Opportunities

There are huge markets for the LHN to access, but the format of only being able to show the home games of one team has its failings. There is a possibility that the LHN will fail, and the BTN would be the perfect type of entity to absorb it.

Huge programming value opportunities. Games against Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin have the potential to move the needle nationally, even outside of traditional fan bases.

The Big Ten would gain entry to some of the largest TV markets in the country, and carry them.

The value to the conference has been estimated at over $100,000,000 each year. With renegotiations occurring in 2017, there are huge upsides in the per school haul.

Threats

Texas has a history of looking out for their own interests at the potential expense of others, the lawyers in the Big Ten will have to watch for that immoral capitalist instinct.

So there it is, if you guys think Texas wouldn't want the B1G, I might get it, if you think that the B1G wouldn't want Texas, or would be intimidated by their past, I think you're wrong

So enough about Texas, the real reason I posted this was the back up options, because once Texas and Notre Dame settle in, the B1G might be left to find something else they like. I just thought it was interesting that the analysis of TV dollars led this guy to think that Syracuse, Boston College, Kansas and Mizzou were such great options.

The TV market will be dramatically changing in the next few years. Myself and many friends of mine are getting away from cable TV. I have dropped down to the lowest package available and supplemented with hulu, netflix etc. I can see myself not having cable at all within a couple of years. This is a trend that is moving forward at a rather quick pace. What will happen to all these huge TV contracts when the subscribers start dwindeling away?

Then they probably will start selling BTN to go subscriptions independent of cable providers, and they will likely push to get the BTN on basic cable wherever they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back