• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A good link conference realignment, as well a few of my thoughts on going to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a different environment though when their partners don't need them. Michigan, tOSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and PSU would be treated differently than the low revenue schools in the Big XII and the SWC.

Texas will demand a higher share, want the B1G Championship game in Dallas permanently and all will go downhill from there. The long Husker nightmare of the final years of the Big XII will come roaring back. Sure Texas is worth a lot of money, but it's not worth selling your conference's soul to get it.

Last edited:
Texas will demand a higher share, want the B1G Championship game in Dallas permanently and all will go downhill from there. The long Husker nightmare of the final years of the Big XII will come roaring back. Sure Texas is worth a lot of money, but it's not worth selling your conference soul to get it.

They could try it, but you're discounting that tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and PSU, will not act like the abused wives clubs that the Big XII and SWC were, Nebraska never did act that way towards UT. Think of it like this Nebraska added tremendous value to UT in the BIG XII days, but we were in their league. If UT, comes to the B1G, they are moving to our style league. If they pulled any of that crap they would learn real quick what a 15 to 1 vote feels like. Maybe they would create problems, but they would be their own problems that the rest of the league wouldn't tolerate.

They could try it, but you're discounting that tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and PSU, will not act like the abused wives clubs that the Big XII and SWC were, Nebraska never did act that way towards UT. Think of it like this Nebraska added tremendous value to UT in the BIG XII days, but we were in their league. If UT, comes to the B1G, they are moving to our style league. If they pulled any of that crap they would learn real quick what a 15 to 1 vote feels like. Maybe they would create problems, but they would be their own problems that the rest of the league wouldn't tolerate.

I think this is one of the reasons that it won't happen, not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think it will. Also, Texas wants to be in charge very badly and knows that the Big 12 is likely one of the few places it can do that and still make a lot of money. It will stick with them for quite awhile before they will acknowledge that it is not working. Will the BIG be willing to wait that long to get team 15 and 16? I don't see it going past 16 teams but I definitely could be wrong.

Lost in all of this is the fact that the people who will be affected most, the student athletes, seem to be the only ones no one is considering when making these decisions. When you have conferences stretching halfway across the country that means there will be a lot more travel on school nights, etc. If they're doing all this in the name of the Almighty Dollar then I say the student athletes should get a stipend of some type.

Last edited:
Lost in all of this is the fact that the people who will be affected most, the student athletes, seem to be the only ones no one is considering when making these decisions. When you have conferences stretching halfway across the country that means there will be a lot more travel on school nights, etc. If they're doing all this in the name of the Almighty Dollar then I say the student athletes should get a stipend of some type.

Yep.

Texas would never join another conference without some sort of supporting cast. They need schools like TT, Baylor, OU, TCU, etc. to be there with them for leverage. Despite the failure that is the LHN, the people at Texas aren't dummies. They know that if they enter a conference all on their own, then they will have to conform to that conference's way of doing things. So it's not gonna happen.

There's already a lot of travel on school nights, and most D1 teams aren't taking school busses to games anymore.

You mind giving your arguments as to why?

Beyond the more obvious ones, the Texas Legislature will be a huge impediment to UT leaving their "brothers" behind. TAMU ended up being ok for leaving, mainly because the Big 12 settled down after the UT/OU scare. UT bolts, TTU & Baylor are in a very tough position; they have lots of alumni in politics to help them out.

I'm well aware of that, but this will only add to their load.

I agree, it'll be tough, but D1 schools have it easy. Most sports get to fly to their locations. Hopefully conference schedules won't have the women's basketball team traveling to Rutgers for a Tuesday night game. The longer distance games should be reserved for the weekend. Still, Michigan State and UConn just played a game in Germany. Doubt they left the day before the game, and doubt the players on those teams were at their full attention for classes that following Monday morning.

I just don't get this concept of fit, think like Delaney, think like Perlman, this is business. UT-Austin could be worth $100,000,000 to the B1G. Right now, Texas thinks they can have all that cheddar to themselves, thus the LHN. But if they can't, sharing will do them fine, and the BTN would be the brand most able to find that value for them. Who cares about travel? Who cares about Texas Tech? Oklahoma? Bring 'em with!

I think Delaney is considerate of geographic and cultural fit as much as TV market. Now, will the dollar trump everything else? In the case of Texas, I don't think so. I'd bet you anything that Delaney and the B1G would make exceptions for ND to join before they would take Texas as a equal member. ND brings more TV's than Texas (based on real viewers, not just state population). It's not always going to be about the money. Maryland and Rutgers fit in most of what seems to be important to the B1G. They are not football powers, like Texas would like to be, but they bring market money and a decent cultural fit. We could all be surprised in the end but, much like the earlier round of expansion talks...the Texas angle to the B1G never had any merit (and I understand the Bevo Network was a no go for the Pac and B1G and maybe it dies and things change).

I agree, it'll be tough, but D1 schools have it easy. Most sports get to fly to their locations. Hopefully conference schedules won't have the women's basketball team traveling to Rutgers for a Tuesday night game. The longer distance games should be reserved for the weekend. Still, Michigan State and UConn just played a game in Germany. Doubt they left the day before the game, and doubt the players on those teams were at their full attention for classes that following Monday morning.

Agree. Hopefully the powers that be won't be so blinded by dollar signs to realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back