• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A good link conference realignment, as well a few of my thoughts on going to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlin' Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2...f-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network

So folks, we're talking now about this amazing game of Risk called conference realignment. I eat this stuff up. Above are two links to a blog you should be reading if you're interested in the subject of realignment. The first, link is simply the blog, but you'll see the latest explanation of why the B1G went with Maryland, and why Nebraska was such a slam dunk for the B1G. The second link, shows the true motivations for conference realignment, this whole thing was driven almost entirely by TV screens and cable subscriptions. The B1G wants to be more profitable than any other league in the country, this will build the brand, improve athletics which will in turn build the brand and so on. The second link also shows the value of each team added in terms of TV revenue. You'll see that Nebraska was a VALUABLE get by the B1G, and so is Maryland. Rutgers could be more valuable than both schools, but there is greater risk. I want to email Frank and ask him to ask his associate to analyze some other schools such as Virginia, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Duke, UNC etc, but based on the climate and the presented data, Kansas, Boston College, Syracuse, and Mizzou seem like possible candidates. I don't know if Mizzou would be interested due to their SEC deal, I don't know if Kansas would care to leave K-State behind, but they would be solid options that would be profitable for the league as a whole.

It's my thought though that the B1G will wait. They will lie and wait to see if the Longhorn network model can truly be as profitable to UT-Austin as they think. If not, they might be more than willing to join the B1G, despite our previous problems with them, they would be an amazing get. UT-Austin could probably get an immediate double share of revenue from the network and it would still be a good business move. The only scary "X-factor" is whether or not they would be dangerous to the culture of the conference. Who knows.

A few other thoughts, if these figures are true, it seems possible that a Nebraska cable network might have yielded big bucks, maybe even more than the B1G deal. But there might be infrastructure factors I don't fully grasp. How amazing would it have been to see an Independent Nebraska pulling down $40 mil a year I TV revenues.

With the renegotiation in 2017, they are saying $30-$35 mil a school for the B1G. If that doesn't encourage you guys about the future of Husker sports, then I don't know what will, this means when future coaching changes happen we can put up $5 mil and not blink about it, it means that we'll always have the facilities to wow the best talent. Thank you B1G! Also, this stuff doesn't even count the huge potential of grabbing the NYC market. Factor in changing policies in the SEC concerning over-recruiting, Nebraska's better position on recruiting Texas than the rest of the B1G, and the new recruiting territory opened by expansion of the league, and I personally think that Nebraska is sitting real pretty for the future.

Also, an interesting solution to the 9 game problem would be to petition the NCAA to allow 13 or even 14 game schedules. After all, more programming is more revenue, and who is going to argue with more football? I personally would not be opposed to a 10 game conference schedule as a standard, and a 4 game non-conference schedule as well as turning up scholarship limits to account for the greater depth needed for longer schedules. It would mean more money too!

These are exciting times.

Last edited:

Not in the b10 footprint.
Won't conform to being a member of a conference.
Good position to dictate to the league what they want and will do (power player). Give that up in the b10 because everyone is an equal. I can't see Michigan or Ohio State sucking on the Texas teet like Kansas and Iowa State have to.
Delany still wants ND and hope they will confirm once teams start jumping for different conferences.

Not in the b10 footprint.
Won't conform to being a member of a conference.
Good position to dictate to the league what they want and will do (power player). Give that up in the b10 because everyone is an equal. I can't see Michigan or Ohio State sucking on the Texas teet like Kansas and Iowa State have to.
Delany still wants ND and hope they will confirm once teams start jumping for different conferences.

Hold on though, if the longhorn network model fails to benefit Texas in the way that they thought, and the BTN model proves that it can extract the sort of revenue potential that Maryland and Rutgers have, the BTN might start looking incredibly attractive to the folks at Texas. Footprint? SPARE ME, I find that idea absolutely silly. The point is to expand influence and to touch new markets, Delaney said it himself. Texas is the prize, they could be worth over $100 mil a year for the conference. Contiguous does not matter compared with those numbers. Also, if Texas can't extract their value on their own, then revenue sharing, and playing nice are in their best interest. They're having a go of it on their own, but if that fails, Texas in the B1G is a win-win, no need for anyone to suck up to anyone else.

I'd also really encourage you to click the links and have a look at what Frank the Tank has to offer on the subject, he's been focuses on this stuff for a few years now and has some great insight.

Last edited:
Texas kills conferences; its been proven for decades.

That is a risk, and a reason the B1G might be perfectly satisfied to grab a combo such as Virginia/Virginia Tech, KU/KSU, or Syracuse/BC. On the other hand, Texas is the holy grail money wise, and recruiting wise, plus if the LHN fails they may be humbled enough to understand hat by must start playing nice.

That is a risk, and a reason the B1G might be perfectly satisfied to grab a combo such as Virginia/Virginia Tech, KU/KSU, or Syracuse/BC. On the other hand, Texas is the holy grail money wise, and recruiting wise, plus if the LHN fails they may be humbled enough to understand hat by must start playing nice.

A lot of people on here hate UT, and I can't say I am a fan either. But I don't see them ruining a B1G. Too much influence in this conference outside of UT. So, it would be an addition from a fiscal standpoint, and a recruiting standpoint that makes sense to me. Plus, I would love to have a shot at them again.

While MD and RU may lack in some peoples idea of B1G 'culture' UT is on a planet of their own, much like ND, and it will NEVER happen, period.

A lot of people on here hate UT, and I can't say I am a fan either. But I don't see them ruining a B1G. Too much influence in this conference outside of UT. So, it would be an addition from a fiscal standpoint, and a recruiting standpoint that makes sense to me. Plus, I would love to have a shot at them again.

I like the way you think :Biggrin:

Hold on though, if the longhorn network model fails to benefit Texas in the way that they thought, and the BTN model proves that it can extract the sort of revenue potential that Maryland and Rutgers have, the BTN might start looking incredibly attractive to the folks at Texas. Footprint? SPARE ME, I find that idea absolutely silly. The point is to expand influence and to touch new markets, Delaney said it himself. Texas is the prize, they could be worth over $100 mil a year for the conference. Contiguous does not matter compared with those numbers. Also, if Texas can't extract their value on their own, then revenue sharing, and playing nice are in their best interest. They're having a go of it on their own, but if that fails, Texas in the B1G is a win-win, no need for anyone to suck up to anyone else.

I'd also really encourage you to click the links and have a look at what Frank the Tank has to offer on the subject, he's been focuses on this stuff for a few years now and has some great insight.

I just don't think Texas fits...in any way shape or form. The BTN doesn't need Texas and I don't think Texas is thinking B1G. Teams like WVU to the Big XII is a move of desperation on both parties. The logistics are brutal and Texas to the B1G is the same mess. Texas isn't going to give up games with TTU, OU, OSU, for travel to Ohio, Penn, Wisc..etc. Doesn't make sense and IMO will never be an option regardless of what some people have said leading up to NU going to the B1G. I guess we'll find out later but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :thumbsup:

While MD and RU may lack in some peoples idea of B1G 'culture' UT is on a planet of their own, much like ND, and it will NEVER happen, period.

$100,000,000... That Texas might not be ale to get at on their own, you're using psychotropic substances if you think that this isn't incentive enough for both parties to have a go of it. Plus, Texas is a quality major research university like much of the B1G.They are not as far off in terms of culture as you say, as far as throwing their weight around goes they will have the consortium of tOSU, Michigan, Nebraska, and PSU to compete with. The difference between Texas in the B1G and Texas in the SWC and the Big XII is that the B1G wants Texas, but doesn't NEED Texas.

But there are risks, and other possibilities.

You mind giving your arguments as to why?

See all of Texas football history. They destroyed the Southwest conference and about did the same to the big XII. Think of a conference as a human body and Texas being a flesh eating virus. You don't want them around.

I just don't think Texas fits...in any way shape or form. The BTN doesn't need Texas and I don't think Texas is thinking B1G. Teams like WVU to the Big XII is a move of desperation on both parties. The logistics are brutal and Texas to the B1G is the same mess. Texas isn't going to give up games with TTU, OU, OSU, for travel to Ohio, Penn, Wisc..etc. Doesn't make sense and IMO will never be an option regardless of what some people have said leading up to NU going to the B1G. I guess we'll find out later but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :thumbsup:

I just don't get this concept of fit, think like Delaney, think like Perlman, this is business. UT-Austin could be worth $100,000,000 to the B1G. Right now, Texas thinks they can have all that cheddar to themselves, thus the LHN. But if they can't, sharing will do them fine, and the BTN would be the brand most able to find that value for them. Who cares about travel? Who cares about Texas Tech? Oklahoma? Bring 'em with!

See all of Texas football history. They destroyed the Southwest conference and about did the same to the big XII. Think of a conference as a human body and Texas being a flesh eating virus. You don't want them around.

It's a different environment though when their partners don't need them. Michigan, tOSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and PSU would be treated differently than the low revenue schools in the Big XII and the SWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back