• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

55%

He completed 76% his junior year, albeit on far fewer attempts as he was not the full time starter. Point is, as was alluded to before, did something change with the offense? Did Ed expect his kid to do too much, thus forcing the issue? Were his receivers mediocre by comparison? Did Coach V only smoke cigars in CO when he evaluated him?

I don’t know the answers to any of these, but I bet the answer to at least one is yes and we see some nice improvement under this staff.
Coach V doesn't smoke cigars.

To many variables to be worried about completion percentage.
Coaches first year at school.
Talent level of receivers.
Type of offense he's running. (Type of passes thrown)
Pretty much his first year at full time QB
Just a couple of things off the top of my head.

Much ado about nothing.
The fact the kid's a State Champion quarterback carries a lot more weight as far as I'm concerned.

In Verduzco I Trust!!!

Tom said on several occasions that he wanted a 50% completion rate from his QBs. That was predicated on being able to run the ball almost at will. Every once in awhile an OK will come to town with a fast, mobile D and whack you. I agree with Pop Corn, let's wait and see how he plays.

As a comparison, here are the HS completion stats for some other QBs who have been successful in Frost's offense:
Mariota - 64.7%
Milton - 65.5%
Martinez (as a junior) - 60.1%

So the 55% does raise a note of caution.
Better than huskers win percentage past two years of 33%:(

In SF’s offense, I’ll take a superior running threat at QB and 55.60% thrower coming in as a Freshman. MV can work with that kind of QB to improve passing, but athleticism/speed running effective spread is extremely important to making the offense most potent. LM has that ability. He will get better under MV’s tutelage

Tom said on several occasions that he wanted a 50% completion rate from his QBs. That was predicated on being able to run the ball almost at will. Every once in awhile an OK will come to town with a fast, mobile D and whack you. I agree with Pop Corn, let's wait and see how he plays.

Tom's offense did not require more than that where as SF's offense relies on much more passing. Accuracy is important and a true dual threat QB should be at least in the 60% plus range. That said Luke's senior season may just be a fluke as there are many factors involved.

C

There are quite a few quick sideline throws and short passes in SF's offense. Hopefully, LM will be good at those. They can up the throwing % a lot if he is.

1. Type of offense and type of pass have a huge effect on completion percentage. I don't know what type of offense they ran in HS, or what routes they ran, so I'm not able to draw a conclusion. But obviously MV and SF saw enough to warrant recruiting him as QB.

2. Back in the olden days of the 20th century, 55% was considered a good percentage for an NFL QB. But those were different offenses as well.

3. YARDS PER ATTEMPT is far more critical than completion percentage. But for some reason people seem to overlook that fact.

I was also a little concerned about the completion percentage from LM this year. He should have time to develop, though. We'll learn even more about Verduzco with the way this kid develops in the passing game.

50% would be an absolute disaster in this offense. In Tom's it was fine because there was a higher % of downfield throws...and maybe that is what happened with McCaffrey...maybe he threw downfield a lot more this year?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back