• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

55%

MartyHuskerFan

Tired and True
Sir Luke threw for 55% his senior year. There are many excellent other factors that indicate he may be able to be successful at DONU as a QB. But 55%?
What I want to know is do the husker coaches expect to imptove that or are they thinking it’s ok? What do we know about his senior year that would explain how he only threw for 55% after throwing for 76% his junior year?
Help me climb on board this Luke train. I am just wondering how he would look with an 84 on his jersey.

Sir Luke threw for 55% his senior year. There are many excellent other factors that indicate he may be able to be successful at DONU as a QB. But 55%?
What I want to know is do the husker coaches expect to imptove that or are they thinking it’s ok? What do we know about his senior year that would explain how he only threw for 55% after throwing for 76% his junior year?
Help me climb on board this Luke train. I am just wondering how he would look with an 84 on his jersey.
Hence the reason why I've said repeatedly that he will not be challenging for QB2 this year, as he needs to develop physically and mechanically. Not to mention, it puts another year between him and AM. Whether folks like it or not NV IS QB2, unless Bunch sticks...and even then, NV may still be #2 on the depth chart.

But make no mistake, this kid can and will be coached up. Superior athlete that needs lots of seasoning...and he will get it behind AM. Tremendous prospect to mold.

Lastly, Joe Montana had a 56% completion percentage in his senior year in COLLEGE. Dan Marino was about a 57.5% thrower through his college career. Point is, Luke has plenty of time to develop.

Last edited:
Sounds encouraging. Count me as a Luke believer. But I am looking for some understanding about what happened to cause the % to drop last season. Was it a different offense. Did he lose his good receivers? Was he injured? What explains the drop off? I am certain coach V knows the answer.

Last edited:

Sounds encouraging. Count me as a Luke believer. But I an looking for some understanding about what happened to cause the % to drop last season. Was it a different offense. Did he lose his good receivers? Was he injured? What explains the drop off? I am certain coach V knows the answer.
His father was in his first year as head coach for Valor and wasn't as good of a playcaller as his predecessor according to many.

Hence the reason why I've said repeatedly that he will not be challenging for QB2 this year, as he needs to develop physically and mechanically. Not to mention, it puts another year between him and AM. Whether folks like it or not NV IS QB2, unless Bunch sticks...and even then, NV may still be #2 on the depth chart.

But make no mistake, this kid can and will be coached up. Superior athlete that needs lots of seasoning...and he will get it behind AM. Tremendous prospect to mold.

Lastly, Joe Montana had a 56% completion percentage in his senior year in COLLEGE. Dan Marino was about a 57.5% thrower through his college career. Point is, Luke has plenty of time to develop.

NV is going to be #2 regardless. Whether that is acceptable seems to be up for debate, but i don't think it ends any other way.

Also, to other points in the thread, i believe this was LM first year as the main man at QB. A drop in completion efficiency may have been the result of just more opportunities for bad things to happen (drops, overthrows, etc). I don't know if Valor ran all the quick screen/short passes NU runs, but if they didn't, that will lead to a lower % as well.

Also had 21 passing TDs to 4 INTs, so he isn’t turning the ball over. Add 8 rushing TDs and 6.5 yds/carry to the mix and I think we’ll be OK. But, if it doesn’t work out, this kid can do a lot of things for us. Garnered a lot of attention as a receiver.

Also had 21 passing TDs to 4 INTs, so he isn’t turning the ball over. Add 8 rushing TDs and 6.5 yds/carry to the mix and I think we’ll be OK. But, if it doesn’t work out, this kid can do a lot of things for us. Garnered a lot of attention as a receiver.
He’s a smart, unselfish young athlete he’s going to thrive in this system under Frost he’ll work hard and will do what’s best for the team. He’s more than proven himself on and off the field and I am sure Frost and the rest of the staff understand his value to the team.

Sounds encouraging. Count me as a Luke believer. But I am looking for some understanding about what happened to cause the % to drop last season. Was it a different offense. Did he lose his good receivers? Was he injured? What explains the drop off? I am certain coach V knows the answer.

He wasn't the full time starter in his Jr year. He threw the ball a ton more in 2018 than in 2017. That would drop his % some. But I too was not impressed with that throwing percentage.

I couldnt care less if he had a 35% completion percentage as long as he’s not a “pro style” passing QB who can’t run a sub 5.0 40 or play actual football with pads.

One thing I have learned over the past 10 years is that a 57% passer as a freshman and sophomore(college) is usually going to stay a 57% passer. Maybe bump a couple percent up but you are what you are. Now that being said I have seen outliers due to circumstances, usually exceptions to the rule though.

C

As a comparison, here are the HS completion stats for some other QBs who have been successful in Frost's offense:
Mariota - 64.7%
Milton - 65.5%
Martinez (as a junior) - 60.1%

So the 55% does raise a note of caution.

One thing I have learned over the past 10 years is that a 57% passer as a freshman and sophomore(college) is usually going to stay a 57% passer. Maybe bump a couple percent up but you are what you are. Now that being said I have seen outliers due to circumstances, usually exceptions to the rule though.

C
I agree thus my concern. I want to know what caused the incompletions. Can the problems be fixed or is he destined to #84? That would be my hope. I don’t doubt his athleticism lineage passion or loyalty. I only question his completion percentage. The only way to surmise that the % will rise is to understand why it was so low.

If someone could break down the list of incompletions and explain why they won’t happen at DONU then I am all on board.

He completed 76% his junior year, albeit on far fewer attempts as he was not the full time starter. Point is, as was alluded to before, did something change with the offense? Did Ed expect his kid to do too much, thus forcing the issue? Were his receivers mediocre by comparison? Did Coach V only smoke cigars in CO when he evaluated him?

I don’t know the answers to any of these, but I bet the answer to at least one is yes and we see some nice improvement under this staff.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back