• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5-0 if not for special teams

And if we had just scored a few more points in three of our five games we would be 5-0.

Yep. Hindsight is always 20/20. But the problem in this case is that all our losses can be squarely blamed on Special Teams.

Yes, I suppose that technically, you could argue if we'd simply had more offensive production or more defensive stops that those teams wouldn't have been in a position to capitalize from Special Teams. But each loss has had several special teams miscues that aren't just missed kicks. In addition to missing FGs and PATs, we're shanking punts, dropping returns, and allowing ridiculous things like Oklahoma to return a blocked PAT for a 2PC. It's a breakdown across the entire unit.

I agree entirely that special teams are a disgrace, and one of the greatest failing of this staff. But it is only one failing, and not even the worst. Who knows what MSU would have done had our special teams played up to just being good. Not great, just good.

I have no confidence that we wouild not have screwed it up some other way. That is just what undisciplined teams do. Find a way to lose.

We are our record. It's totally frustrating.

I do not believe that this staff has proved itself in any way because we just lost two games to teams that were supposed to be better than we are. Had we won - yes, that certainly would have been in their favor. But we lost. At the end of the day, all the what ifs in the world don't change the outcome.

I take your point, and in some ways I share your anger at the ST (I would say ST coaches) but I don't share your confidence that the outcomes would have been any different.

I am seeing the exact same things as you. The team does have a different feel to it. Martinez does look way better than he has in a long time. We still have a shot at a decent year.
I really don’t say this often, but Nebraska really needs to pound Northwestern Saturday. No close game. This is the last chance to really ‘get it fixed NOW’, game. This is it. This is the halfway point, and probably the worst team left on the schedule. Urgent would be an understatement.

I have posted a few times "never kick again."

Punting or field goals seem to be beyond this team.

Did Nebraska set a team record in that Michigan State game? Shortest punt (7 yards)?
We would have been better not to punt. If I’m the punter that kicked it left when it was supposed to go right, I’d live on the practice field in a tent until fixed. That guy completely let the team down. Embarrassing gaffe.

I was listening to carriker podcast and he said we don't have a dedicated special teams coach. If that's true we NEED one.

I really don’t say this often, but Nebraska really needs to pound Northwestern Saturday. No close game. This is the last chance to really ‘get it fixed NOW’, game. This is it. This is the halfway point, and probably the worst team left on the schedule. Urgent would be an understatement.
I'll take any kind of win.

Special teams is a smoke screen that clouds a terrible offense. The real problem is that we only score 19 points per game against power 5 teams.

Last edited:
It's massively apparent that special teams is costing us wins. Say what you want about the OL, but Martinez is playing well. Their primary job is to protect him and if they aren't playing up to snuff, he seems to be making enough plays to overcome it.

Defense is elite. We look amazing on that side of the ball.

If not for botched kicks, bad punts and sloppy returns, we easily beat Illinois, Oklahoma and Michigan State. With wins over #3 and #20, we'd probably be ranked somewhere around #20-25 right now.

Let that sink in. SPT has cost us a 5-0 start, a national ranking, and with a likely win over Northwestern, a bowl game already locked up by 6 games in.
Oh if we did that and beat ILL, OU and MSU, we’d be ranked in the top 12 for sure, especially with the defense we’ve been playing

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back