• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4th And 1 at the 1 foot line…shotgun

KCRed

Recruit
2 Year Member
Really.

All conference caliber center and a 6 foot 2 215 lb QB—okay let’s run shotgun and allow time for penetration to potentially occur. Even if the back slips on a quick hitter I like the odds of a 230lb falling through the line of scrimmage. Or even better yet, the running back should be pushing Martinez forward on the QB keeper.

Seriously. You cannot make this stuff up.

Beat play of the game not only did they do it once but twice. Guess the first time was on the two yrd line but still to me pretty much the same.

Yant looked like he was digging a gopher hole at the one yard line. Terrible terrible run. All of the Yant apologists calling for his number got to wonder where they are?

Run hard, run with your head up and run over the defender.

I don’t necessarily disagree that being in the shotgun is not the right thing but if Yant does what he’s supposed to do … it’s a TD.

Last edited:

Yant looked like he was digging a gopher hole at the one yard line. Terrible terrible run. All of the Yant apologists calling for his number got to wonder where they are?

Run hard, run with your head up and run over the defender.

I don’t necessarily disagree that being in the shotgun is not the right thing but if Yant does what he’s supposed to do … it’s a TD.
Could you have done better?

I still like Yant even though he has been showing his "youth" and inexperience recently.

I also still wonder why Frost rolled out the I-Formation against Ohio State; had success with it and seldom used it again... especially in situations like the ones were discussing.

Bottom line, I thought going under center would've been the better decision in those situations today, but we'll never know for sure.

Last edited:
How many times over the Frost/Martinez experiment have we seen the same results?
Look at Dabo’s situation. Another great athlete how has not figured out who to be a great decision maker/QB. They have better recruits across the board, but without a stud to run the show, they can’t get out of their own way this year. They’re lucky to play in a shi7 conference.

Last edited:
I still like Yant even though he has been showing his "youth" and inexperience recently.

I also still wonder why Frost rolled out the I-Formation against Ohio State; had success with it and seldom used it again... especially in situations like the ones were discussing.

Bottom line, I thought going under center would've been the better decision in those situations today, but we'll never know for sure.
It's perfectly fine to like Yant. He has not had an opportunity to showcase what he is capable of; how many carries has he received in the last 2 games? You really cant shine if HCSF is holding the reigns.

It's perfectly fine to like Yant. He has not had an opportunity to showcase what he is capable of; how many carries has he received in the last 2 games? You really cant shine if HCSF is holding the reigns.
I’m going to play the guy who most resembles the qualities of leadership, respect, and hard work. I get that. It’s the Nebraska way. However, the Nick Sabans of the world know how to effectively massage the situation so that he also has the best talent on the field at the same time. It’s not my dad’s college football anymore.

I don’t hate the shotgun....Urban Meyer and Tebow used to run it to perfection, the difference is they executed it perfectly and had a QB that resembled a TE. I’m more pissed that we almost never throw to our 6’9 TE at the goal line than I I am that we were in shotgun on 4th and 1 from the 1.

There is almost zero chance that AM can't take an under-center snap there and just reach the ball over the goal. If they stop that . . . fine. But that's really the best call down there. You should be practicing that every damn day. Shotgun is idiotic at the 1 yard line and we've never been good at it.

But at the same time . . . why no fake to the run and try to get your 6' 8" TE a look? Minny was selling out 100% to the run up the gut and we gave it to them multiple times in a row. This offense can't find it's rear end with a funnel, a flashlight and GPS inside the 10 yard line. It defies the odds, it's so terrible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back