• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4th And 1 at the 1 foot line…shotgun

I saw in the Iowa game. On a 3 and 2 the qb ran up under center, took the snap for a sneak and the tackle rolled around and pushed him from behind for 3 or 4 yards. The rb joined in too.. Completely unstoppable for short yardage.
Not completely. For balance, in the fourth quarter of the Iowa game, Iowa had third and two on the Purdue 11. They ran the quarterback sneak under center twice and failed to make a first down. So under center is not automatic, even though I agree NU would benefit from practicing and using it more.

Not completely. For balance, in the fourth quarter of the Iowa game, Iowa had third and two on the Purdue 11. They ran the quarterback sneak under center twice and failed to make a first down. So under center is not automatic, even though I agree NU would benefit from practicing and using it more.
Great post. I’ve seen QB sneak under center stuffed a myriad of times. As everyone knows we score there we are leading and have the momentum. But again the bizarre happens.

Allows a chorus of people calling coaches stupid. I guess it’s understandable that people want to vent. It is maddening.

Still, amazing how everyone knows better. It’s always easy to criticize when something doesn’t work.

Frost said they looked at the sneak and the odds weren’t good based on Minnesota’s defense performance on QB sneaks this year. Off tackle Yant ought to work, but he trips and stumbles. Argh!

So you have:

A head to head shot (targeting?) on Johnson down to the 1 knocking him out of game. No penalty.

A Martinez run that has worked many times this year and probably scored.

And in my opinion a good call that is stunningly, poorly executed by the back most people here wanted to see the ball in short yardage situations.

The only play I probably would have liked to see was the fake dive and pass to TE who fakes block and releases. Works every time against us. Of course, with our luck a lineman tips the ball away or an NFL caliber TE mysteriously drops the ball.

So thank you for the pause, we can go back to stomping our feet and calling names.

Last edited:
The call was fine

Just don't trip over the extra tall grass on the 2 yard line

Yet if you push the quarterback in the back from less than 1/2 yard to the goal line by running a qb sneak…the running back doesn’t trip on the extra tall grass. :thumbsup:

stamped-PS-right-1000.png

Last edited:

Great post. I’ve seen QB sneak under center stuffed a myriad of times. As everyone knows we score there we are leading and have the momentum. But again the bizarre happens.

Allows a chorus of people calling coaches stupid. I guess it’s understandable that people want to vent. It is maddening.

Still, amazing how everyone knows better. It’s always easy to criticize when something doesn’t work.

Frost said they looked at the sneak and the odds weren’t good based on Minnesota’s defense performance on QB sneaks this year. Off tackle Yant ought to work, but he trips and stumbles. Argh!

So you have:

A head to head shot (targeting?) on Johnson down to the 1 knocking him out of game. No penalty.

A Martinez run that has worked many times this year and probably scored.

And in my opinion a good call that is stunningly, poorly executed by the back most people here wanted to see the ball in short yardage situations.

The only play I probably would have liked to see was the fake dive and pass to TE who fakes block and releases. Works every time against us. Of course, with our luck a lineman tips the ball away or an NFL caliber TE mysteriously drops the ball.

So thank you for the pause, we can go back to stomping our feet and calling names.
Yea, just now BTN “experts” were all over Ferentz for lack of imagination on the under center sneaks - just because he thinks he has the best center in the country.

Really.

All conference caliber center and a 6 foot 2 215 lb QB—okay let’s run shotgun and allow time for penetration to potentially occur. Even if the back slips on a quick hitter I like the odds of a 230lb falling through the line of scrimmage. Or even better yet, the running back should be pushing Martinez forward on the QB keeper.

Seriously. You cannot make this stuff up.
My wife nearly threw her shoe through the TV.

I just got a great chuckle and fortunately it worked in my favor. If anyone’s watching the Monday night game they probably know why. Obviously I live in Nashville and I am a huge Titans fan. They just stopped Buffalo on fourth and half a yard at about the 2 yard line. Josh Allen did go under center so I guess in football nothing is guaranteed. Oh and by the way he slipped while doing the quarterback sneak.

I just got a great chuckle and fortunately it worked in my favor. If anyone’s watching the Monday night game they probably know why. Obviously I live in Nashville and I am a huge Titans fan. They just stopped Buffalo on fourth and half a yard at about the 2 yard line. Josh Allen did go under center so I guess in football nothing is guaranteed. Oh and by the way he slipped while doing the quarterback sneak.
Saw this as well. Nothing is truly ever guaranteed except death. I do however like probabilities and believe the highest probability to score strongly favors power football at goal line (even with a middle-of-the pack O line).

Don't be so snarky.
I’m sorry my opinion isn’t like your opinion.
But I guess you and all you “liking” friends believe you can insult the messenger even if he disagrees with you.
you're right, wcbsas. my apologies. i was in a bad way.

Me too. Allen is a big powerful runner and he got stuffed (and slipped). All this second guessing is entertaining but pointless. If Yant doesn't slip and fall, this isn't even a discussion because he scores. The play call was fine. The execution failed.

Me too. Allen is a big powerful runner and he got stuffed (and slipped). All this second guessing is entertaining but pointless. If Yant doesn't slip and fall, this isn't even a discussion because he scores. The play call was fine. The execution failed.
The downside of QB sneak has always been that the QB doesn't have any initial momentum. The line must generate a very real surge to work. So the argument at times is to hand off to a back who is obviously running toward the line of scrimmage. Or you get a back who can make a diving leap over the pile (and hold on to the ball). Joe Orduna, where are you when we need you?

The problem with the shotgun snap & handoff is neither the QB nor the RB has much of a head of steam. The play is slow to develop. The only thing in its favor is theoretically, the RB or QB has a wider selection of potential holes to pick and room to maneuver.

How the hell does that even happen?

Shotgun
Wishbone
Wing T
Maryland I formation

The dude stumbled on a gimme td run

We got a damn curse.
I'm convinced.

Scott Frost don't need a special teams coordinator.
He needs an exorcist
I convinced of it as well! Apparently, we aren’t the only ones…here’s one of the ESPN guys “tongue in cheek” thoughts that are probably not too far from the truth!

“The obvious explanation is that Frost is involved in some sort of monkey's paw curse, or possibly ran over a witch with his car. Regardless, it's clear the Huskers must make some sort of sacrifice to the football gods and either shove Frost into a volcano or at least admit Eric Crouch had no business winning the 2001 Heisman over Rex Grossman.”

I'm not sure how many on here would have criticized the decision to hand it to Yant if you were told the play before the snap. I'm skeptical there would have been much concern.

It was an awful moment, and probably the difference in the game. But it was just a bad outcome to a reasonable decision. Run the play 100 times in that situation and I bet they score 99 times. It does feel like there's a curse this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back