• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4* TE Chase Loftin Has Finalized Three Official Visits; Nebraska Will Get The Final One

My last year of firefighting (2019) before I retired I took a 4 person RX (Prescribed Fire) Module to Florida....in July.......we were instead assigned to a wildfire and not a prescribed fire. Average WX for the 14 days was around 95 degrees with 85% humidity. We had a "minute of work, 2 minutes of vehicle AC" work schedule. No kidding, for every minute (only up to 15 tops) we worked in that heat/humidity, we spent 2 in the pickup with the AC cranked. I will say, the last 4-5 days we were a bit acclimated and did a "2 minute work, 1 minute AC" work schedule. But it was tough. Feels like you are broiling from the inside - out.
Grew up in Nebraska and went to Florida for spring break. Never left. Did 29 years as a cop including 24 years on the SWAT team. This was all near Clearwater Beach on the west coast.
You definitely get adjusted to it but it does suck for three months out of the year. But you deal with it because the other 8 or 9 months is pretty dang nice. The PD and FD wouldn't go in and out of the air conditioning while training or on a call out. I think that would make it worse. My daughter graduated from FSU and they call it TallaNasty. Seemed like she was always sick (or hung over). They love to party there and so did I when I visited!

He will be fine there and will probably love it, but he will miss home and can always go back and play for the Huskers if it doesn't work out. Plus we have a pretty dang good tight end room!!!

(Sorry for the rambling)

I am sure the real TFrazier can provide some insight to playing in the weather as well!!

I am not suggesting Loftin adds experience.
I am disagreeing with the statement that we have a deep TE room.
Four is depth. Three with experience is decent. Add in Ian Flynt. Now experience is great, but MR has shown he gets the Young guys involved.

So our top four are decent adding it all up. Deep enough not counting the 25s

Grew up in Nebraska and went to Florida for spring break. Never left. Did 29 years as a cop including 24 years on the SWAT team. This was all near Clearwater Beach on the west coast.
You definitely get adjusted to it but it does suck for three months out of the year. But you deal with it because the other 8 or 9 months is pretty dang nice. The PD and FD wouldn't go in and out of the air conditioning while training or on a call out. I think that would make it worse. My daughter graduated from FSU and they call it TallaNasty. Seemed like she was always sick (or hung over). They love to party there and so did I when I visited!

He will be fine there and will probably love it, but he will miss home and can always go back and play for the Huskers if it doesn't work out. Plus we have a pretty dang good tight end room!!!

(Sorry for the rambling)

I am sure the real TFrazier can provide some insight to playing in the weather as well!!
I did prescribed burning through the PFTC (Prescribed Fire training Center) in Florida (and other southern states) in February and March and loved the weather! You're right, I would assume part of June, July, August, and part of September is real bad. I was also down there, on a fire, in October and it was good, too. But those 3 months.........no way!

Wife and I got married in Destin, Henderson State Park Beach, to be exact and we love the area. Navarre and Panama City Beach are all finalists for new home when I retire in 8 years. Beaches are the BEST in the US.

I live in the area now. Traffic is brutal, especially Destin, FWB, and Navarre. Plan on sitting in your car a lot if you want to get out and about. We'll look at moving back to the north end of Baldwin County (Fairhope/Daphne/Spanish Fort area) when we retire. Or possibly the Nashville, Huntsville, or Charlotte areas.

I live in the area now. Traffic is brutal, especially Destin, FWB, and Navarre. Plan on sitting in your car a lot if you want to get out and about. We'll look at moving back to the north end of Baldwin County (Fairhope/Daphne/Spanish Fort area) when we retire. Or possibly the Nashville, Huntsville, or Charlotte areas.
We stay in Magnolia Springs (AL) sometimes - it's a nice area as well

Last edited:
I did prescribed burning through the PFTC (Prescribed Fire training Center) in Florida (and other southern states) in February and March and loved the weather! You're right, I would assume part of June, July, August, and part of September is real bad. I was also down there, on a fire, in October and it was good, too. But those 3 months.........no way!
Those 3 months are spent in the boat during the day either fishing or laying in the water, golf course after 500 pm (I work at a private course for golf privileges). I DO NOT miss the winters and being cooped up with heater head. But Nebraska still feels like home. My wife and two kids are hardcore Husker fans so this year is the first year I bought the three game pass. Can't wait and might have to crash the Huskermax tailgate!!!
Thank you for your service and if I had to do it all over again, I would be a fireman, better camaraderie.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back