• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star QB Daniel Kaelin Is N: Michigan State.Visit Canx Will Sign With NU

Very true. That’s why I think it’s worth looking at G5 or FCS guys that might be interested in trying to prove/showcase themselves in P5. But they may be no different than P5 guys in the portal…

Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington State are starting portal QBs. They look great and their teams are doing well. The guys are out there, just have to reel 'em in.

Last edited:

If I am Chubba and this staff thinks I am not worth a look while sitting behind these two QB's, well I have to go somewhere where I at least get the chance to see the field and give it a go. Whatever level that might be at.

Now the question is, where do you find someone who is a likely upgrade to HH and Sims that you can convince to come to Lincoln?

One thing I don't think any of us really know is what the staff thinks they can do with the top three on the depth chart. Do they think they can 'Fix' them?

Also, pulling a kid off of the portal isn't exactly a perfect science. See Sims. It's not like Rhule can just dial up a 70% passer with running skills. Guys who've proven they can do what we want are usually playing somewhere else and not in the portal.
Satt has said theyve basically given up trying g to fix HHs delivery.

If I am Chubba and this staff thinks I am not worth a look while sitting behind these two QB's, well I have to go somewhere where I at least get the chance to see the field and give it a go. Whatever level that might be at.

Now the question is, where do you find someone who is a likely upgrade to HH and Sims that you can convince to come to Lincoln?

The portal. :cool:

One thing I don't think any of us really know is what the staff thinks they can do with the top three on the depth chart. Do they think they can 'Fix' them?

Also, pulling a kid off of the portal isn't exactly a perfect science. See Sims. It's not like Rhule can just dial up a 70% passer with running skills. Guys who've proven they can do what we want are usually playing somewhere else and not in the portal.

Or if they are in the portal, other teams may be more appealing for a variety of reasons: chance to play for a championship (Penix?, Nix?), different style of offense, similar offense to what you've been running, etc.

Or if they are in the portal, other teams may be more appealing for a variety of reasons: chance to play for a championship (Penix?, Nix?), different style of offense, similar offense to what you've been running, etc.
For this team, next year’s portal QB will need to be enticed with significant NIL in addition to the more traditional fit questions.

Keep in mind that plenty of NFL talent scouts swing and miss on a LOT of quarterbacks. For college, it is a balance between finding the talented quarterbacks and finding quarterbacks who are interesting/willing to play in Lincoln.

I haven't seen Kaelin play, but the summer stories indicated he has a good arm and accuracy. To think he'll play in college exactly like he plays in high school (especially if looking only at one game against a very good opponent), seems short-sighted. Combine his motivation for playing in Lincoln and give him good players around him, practice time, film/development with his college coaches...seems like someone I'd want in my QB room.

Both went to better programs with better supporting casts and are performing at a higher level. I guess that’s partially my point. Where are we getting a player who’s already performed at a high level that by coming to Nebraska improves his situation for 2024? I’d guess G5 or FCS and then we’ll hear that we’re reaching.

Both went to better programs with better supporting casts and are performing at a higher level. I guess that’s partially my point. Where are we getting a player who’s already performed at a high level that by coming to Nebraska improves his situation for 2024? I’d guess G5 or FCS and then we’ll hear that we’re reaching.
A HC or OC getting fired can change a situation as well for a kid.

I don't expect us to get the next Penix or Burrow, etc... I could see us getting a kid that has one year left and has played well enough at his prior stop. A below average QB and we're likely sitting with one loss right now.

OL will be better next year. WR will be better as well. RB is a toss up. Depends who returns.

The defense should be as good or close enough.

Pretty good list of some potential transfers for next year. There's no way Purdy stays next year IMO. He can't see the field behind two guys that turn the ball over consistently. Sims may "retire" or go FCS. HH probably stays. We're going to need 2 QB's minimum next year IMO.

Exactly. We don’t need a laser-precise passer like Nix or Penix - just somebody who’s more of a ‘natural’ QB, who can read a defense, look off those lurking safeties and check down to the open guy. And run a little when necessary or when a play breaks down (I know - not asking for much ;)). But truly - none of our guys appears to have that set of qualities and I’ve seen guys at the lower levels that do. They’re not setting the world on fire or competing for the Heisman, but they’re getting the job done, which is all we can reasonably expect at this point in our team’s development…

I agree but to compare Westside roster (kids opting in from everywhere) vs Bellevue is not very fair.

I'm not a big Kaelin fan but when you play a team that gets the absolute best players from all over Omaha its hard to judge him on this game.
I get what you're trying to say, but Bellevue West has kids opt in from outside the district as well. They had a kid that lives in Fremont transfer in this year..

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back