• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star QB Daniel Kaelin Is N: Michigan State.Visit Canx Will Sign With NU

No HS QB should ever go for a 1 third competition rate. That and Kaelin is not a good enough runner.
I agree but to compare Westside roster (kids opting in from everywhere) vs Bellevue is not very fair.

I'm not a big Kaelin fan but when you play a team that gets the absolute best players from all over Omaha its hard to judge him on this game.

I know the board is for discussion on all things Husker football, but some of this stuff is weak sauce.
I seem to remember a certain Fla team with a record setting SEC offense playing a certain blackshirt defense that frankly looked like crap, but boy could they play on grass! Every time sometimes

No HS QB should ever go for a 1 third competition rate. That and Kaelin is not a good enough runner.
Not completely disagreeing with you on the completion rate. But there is more to the equation. In the game I watched he made throws that I have seen very few HS QB’s make. I did question some of his decisions. The reality is that if he didn’t make a play, there offense did absolutely nothing. Not sure if bad decision making or forced into bad decisions due to everything being on his shoulders. He was missing both of the Husker recruit wideouts the game I saw. Absolutely no separation from the DB’s. He had a very small windows. The Westside game they just over match everyone at every position. Their quarterback could do whatever he wanted. I thought he looked more like an athlete playing QB rather than a QB who was an athlete. Thanks for the replay.

Not completely disagreeing with you on the completion rate. But there is more to the equation. In the game I watched he made throws that I have seen very few HS QB’s make. I did question some of his decisions. The reality is that if he didn’t make a play, there offense did absolutely nothing. Not sure if bad decision making or forced into bad decisions due to everything being on his shoulders. He was missing both of the Husker recruit wideouts the game I saw. Absolutely no separation from the DB’s. He had a very small windows. The Westside game they just over match everyone at every position. Their quarterback could do whatever he wanted. I thought he looked more like an athlete playing QB rather than a QB who was an athlete. Thanks for the replay.
I think to some extent this is my point. A lot of times an athlete playing QB is better than a wooden Indian. No matter how good his arm is.

I agree but to compare Westside roster (kids opting in from everywhere) vs Bellevue is not very fair.

I'm not a big Kaelin fan but when you play a team that gets the absolute best players from all over Omaha its hard to judge him on this game.
Now contrast that to our recruiting vs Ohio state. When you don't have athleticism you don't have a fall back when things breakdown.

I think to some extent this is my point. A lot of times an athlete playing QB is better than a wooden Indian. No matter how good his arm is.
Agreed. But I also want a QB who can read defenses and get us out of bad plays. How many times have we made inferior QBs look world class by just taking what the defense is giving them. Westside never has to change plays as they can do whatever they want. Kaelin was changing plays and running the whole offense. I would say that regardless what we see in HS, Kaelin is still several years away from being ready. He won’t be the answer next year. But I’m just a fan and not a talent evaluator.

Agreed. But I also want a QB who can read defenses and get us out of bad plays. How many times have we made inferior QBs look world class by just taking what the defense is giving them. Westside never has to change plays as they can do whatever they want. Kaelin was changing plays and running the whole offense. I would say that regardless what we see in HS, Kaelin is still several years away from being ready. He won’t be the answer next year. But I’m just a fan and not a talent evaluator.

I think there's context that many seem to miss when it comes to evaluating high school players.

You have a kid on a team that's loaded and it makes things look easy for him. That doesn't necessarily mean they're a great player. In Kaelin's case, his line has been spotty at best and the health of his skill players has been up and down all year. When they've been healthy and he's got options, he's been good.

On him being the answer for '24, I don't see that either. He looks better at reading defenses and progressions than what we're currently seeing on Saturdays, but I think he's likely going to need a year in the weight room to be able to withstand B1G defenses.

I think there's context that many seem to miss when it comes to evaluating high school players.

You have a kid on a team that's loaded and it makes things look easy for him. That doesn't necessarily mean they're a great player. In Kaelin's case, his line has been spotty at best and the health of his skill players has been up and down all year. When they've been healthy and he's got options, he's been good.

On him being the answer for '24, I don't see that either. He looks better at reading defenses and progressions than what we're currently seeing on Saturdays, but I think he's likely going to need a year in the weight room to be able to withstand B1G defenses.
Agreed. I think we take a juco/portal qb.

Agreed. I think we take a juco/portal qb.

One thing I don't think any of us really know is what the staff thinks they can do with the top three on the depth chart. Do they think they can 'Fix' them?

Also, pulling a kid off of the portal isn't exactly a perfect science. See Sims. It's not like Rhule can just dial up a 70% passer with running skills. Guys who've proven they can do what we want are usually playing somewhere else and not in the portal.

One thing I occasionally do when watching a hudl tape on a highly rated receiver is sometimes going to max preps and finding out the qbs name throwing the ball.
Then I look if they're on 247 and if so, their rating, sort of a reverse engineered eval.
When I see a qb throwing to extreme talent yet low or no rating, that gives a boost to that wr.

Knowing what we know, Westside is the shizznizzle, the better wrs are just coming back from injury and Belleviews just not that overall powerful of a team this year.
No way I am going to eval off of such a game without watching what Danny missed when he had time etc. Seeing how his wrs and O line played etc.

One thing I don't think any of us really know is what the staff thinks they can do with the top three on the depth chart. Do they think they can 'Fix' them?

Also, pulling a kid off of the portal isn't exactly a perfect science. See Sims. It's not like Rhule can just dial up a 70% passer with running skills. Guys who've proven they can do what we want are usually playing somewhere else and not in the portal.
All true. I think 2 transfer between our current 3.

Very true. That’s why I think it’s worth looking at G5 or FCS guys that might be interested in trying to prove/showcase themselves in P5. But they may be no different than P5 guys in the portal…

Just not that many Russell Wilson's out there anymore.
Agree wholeheartedly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back