• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 * DL Riley Van Poppel Is N

The son of Todd Van Poppel, the 14th pick of the 1990 Baseball Draft.

Plenty of athleticism in his genes.

Some background on his father.

Although Todd Van Poppel was the 14th pick of the draft, he was the consensus pre-draft #1 pick but signability concerns dropped him multiple spots--not unusual during that period in MLB history. Van Poppel was part of the famous "Four Aces" group of young pitching prospects the Athletics landed early in that draft (Don Peters, Kirk Dressendorfer, and Dave Zancanaro were the others). None of these pitchers made an impact.

Van Poppel was partially the victim of his own agent who demanded a Major League contract as a signing condition which led to Van Poppel to be forced into the Majors before he was ready--a common agent mistake of that era. But what really hurt the four aces were injuries--in my opinion, at least partially a result of the idiotic 50 pitch experiment the Okland A's implemented which ruined many young arms in their system before they finally shut the experiment down.

Van Poppel was the most successful of the four aces and had a 40-52 record and a 5.58 era in parts of 11 seasons.

Although Todd Van Poppel was the 14th pick of the draft, he was the consensus pre-draft #1 pick but signability concerns dropped him multiple spots--not unusual during that period in MLB history. Van Poppel was part of the famous "Four Aces" group of young pitching prospects the Athletics landed early in that draft (Don Peters, Kirk Dressendorfer, and Dave Zancanaro were the others). None of these pitchers made an impact.

Van Poppel was partially the victim of his own agent who demanded a Major League contract as a signing condition which led to Van Poppel to be forced into the Majors before he was ready--a common agent mistake of that era. But what really hurt the four aces were injuries--in my opinion, at least partially a result of the idiotic 50 pitch experiment the Okland A's implemented which ruined many young arms in their system before they finally shut the experiment down.

Van Poppel was the most successful of the four aces and had a 40-52 record and a 5.58 era in parts of 11 seasons.

Guarantee I can find his dad's baseball card in my basement.

Two Texas Longhorn connections within the 4 Aces... Dressendorfer played his college ball there, and that's where Todd Van Popple signed to play to give him leverage in the MLB draft.

Oakland was at the top of the baseball world at that time with three consecutive World Series appearances in the late 80s / early 90s. Canseco, McGwire, Dave Stewart, the Eck, etc.

Great pickup. There is clearly more energy within the recruiting effort both on the transfer portal and 2023 signees this year. It is a welcome improvement.

Nice job coaches
I was just thinking the same thing. Seems like a lot of new energy in this program. If NU can just get some wins, maybe they can explode. Just need some momentum on the field, get rid of the doubt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back