• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2AM

Fair point. The coaches did damage their credibility by hyping him preseason though, considering how he played. The possibility that he played injured part of the season doesn’t mitigate this entirely in my mind.

Were you optimistic about him prior to the season? The coaches didn't put him on awards watch lists. He had a great freshman season and everyone was on his bandwagon.

I guess what I am trying to ask is: Where did the perception originate from that says Martinez is "their guy"? Did we, as fans, catch a sound bite during a post game presser and run with it? Did it begin with a Sipple article?
I think for the most part many are under the impression there will be an open competition at QB.

Last edited:
I think for the most part many are under the impression there will be an open competition at QB.

I think they view him as the returning starter who is more familiar with the playbook, showed glimpses his freshman year of greatness, and has shown strong leadership abilities. If someone is going to unseat him they will have to ‘knock the champ out’ and not hope for a majority decision. No doubt Scott is a loyal guy, but he wants to win, and if this year is 2019 2AM (2.0), I have no doubt we see series for the backup.

I guess what I am trying to ask is: Where did the perception originate from that says Martinez is "their guy"? Did we, as fans, catch a sound bite during a post game presser and run with it? Did it begin with a Sipple article?

I didn't mean for that to sound as confrontational as it came off. I guess I just don't guy why people assume there will be no competition.

I guess I just don't guy why people assume there will be no competition.

I’m totally guessing, but my assumption is that some will ponder based on last year when through obvious struggles and what appears to have been AM playing through injury, there were limited snaps from others,.

But I am just a fan with zero practice observations nor desire to judge what coach Frost or others determine is the best course of action for this team and program. They have forgotten more than I know. And it would be beyond ridiculous to assume that Scott Frost won’t do everything in his power for this program to win.

Why in the hell would he be here otherwise.

GBR

I think they view him as the returning starter who is more familiar with the playbook, showed glimpses his freshman year of greatness, and has shown strong leadership abilities. If someone is going to unseat him they will have to ‘knock the champ out’ and not hope for a majority decision. No doubt Scott is a loyal guy, but he wants to win, and if this year is 2019 2AM (2.0), I have no doubt we see series for the backup.
They recruited Luke McCaffrey saying he was going to learn from a Heisman candidate, LM was bought in with that and pumped for it. We just tweeted out Adrian Martinez driving a stupid cartoon car back to Lincoln from Fresno, he's our guy. He's not losing that job until the season starts and he proves he is 2019 Martinez not 2018. To your point, Frost won't let him have another similar year as this past one. But there's no threat to his starting spot before Purdue, barring injury. I have no doubt though that our coaches will say every position is open.

I would like it if no one was recruited as "Our guy". I would want every living room conversation to be about what potential is seen, how it will be groomed and what can result from application of ones abilities. And that there will be others afforded the same. We want fearless competitors unafraid of a challenge. All others need not apply. I hope this approach becomes the mission statement. Regardless if it has been until now.

I would like it if no one was recruited as "Our guy". I would want every living room conversation to be about what potential is seen, how it will be groomed and what can result from application of ones abilities. And that there will be others afforded the same. We want fearless competitors unafraid of a challenge. All others need not apply. I hope this approach becomes the mission statement. Regardless if it has been until now.
You weren't going to flip a kid like Martinez in a short window without saying some things you won't normally once your program gets established. We are pretty few and far between with "promises", but they still happen. Until we are able to quote the amount of LBs drafted like Wisconsin or other teams, we are going to have to be creative to get buy-in.

You weren't going to flip a kid like Martinez in a short window without saying some things you won't normally once your program gets established. We are pretty few and far between with "promises", but they still happen. Until we are able to quote the amount of LBs drafted like Wisconsin or other teams, we are going to have to be creative to get buy-in.

I understand. I just don't like the kind of risk a kid that needs to hear that brings. Agree, we will get there.

Were you optimistic about him prior to the season? The coaches didn't put him on awards watch lists. He had a great freshman season and everyone was on his bandwagon.
Absolutely. I bought in as much as anyone, but I’m just a fan. And my expectations of the media are very low.

Most certainly, the staff is much more qualified to manage their rosters than any of us could ever hope to be.

That said, coaches do make mistakes -- just like everyone but me (wink) does at their job. And it may be reasonable to think there was some roster mismanagement this past season. And I tend to believe some different decisions made with the 2019 personnel could very well have resulted in a bowl game.

Anyhow, I'm "okay" with Martinez being our starter in game one of the 2020 season. But I most certainly hope if Adrian struggles again, Frost is willing to make a change -- and that whomever acquires the driver's seat is prepared by the staff to be successful.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back