• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Kool Aid

iu

The most tempting part of the 2022 Kool Aid is the schedule. This year our schedule was not set up for success. We literally played the three best teams out of the East, plus OU and our own division. Our strength of schedule will be much lower, which offers more opportunities to win. However, it also means if we don't pick up wins, there will be no excuses to keep Frost.

Appeal of the Kool Aid will also depend on if we get anyone out of the Portal and who these offseason hires will be.

Are all the teams we lost to in the division off the 2022 schedule? Asking for a friend? :thumbsup:

Are all the teams we lost to in the division off the 2022 schedule? Asking for a friend? :thumbsup:
Unless a major sinkhole swallows a majority of the midwest- no I think they'll still be on the schedule. Fingers crossed that Fordham joins the Big Ten West with all this conference realignment.

The no player development is directed squarely on the offensive side of the board. And yes there has been zero player development whether it's OL, RB, QB, WR. Now the one exception is TE

My point with Daniels is the only mack daddies we are going to get will be 3 star recruits that are multi-year projects which can be ok as long as the cupboard isn't bare
Apologies, but i consider Jurgens, whom arrived as a TE and become a dandy center, as a fine example of development. And there has been some. Maybe not as much as one wishes, maybe not in certain cases, but not none.
But i get it, your assessment is rife with hyperbole, and that lends well to the emotionalism accompanying the frustration we all feel. The problem with emotional assessment is it overlooks those aspects which are sound.
It has been observed that NE won 3 games this year, and that such numbers historically spell doom for a program. However it is also the case that, historically, 3 win teams fold up and mail the last games in. Given everything that has transpired this year to these kids, no one would have been surprised had they done just that. And likely that would have been the back-break straw for Frost.
It is my belief that any leader whom can hold up under this year's circumstances, and still hold sway over his troops is a person worth following. The kids told me so this year.
We sucked at punting this season, Im thinking we can wait another before attempting to punt one more coach.

Apologies, but i consider Jurgens, whom arrived as a TE and become a dandy center, as a fine example of development. And there has been some. Maybe not as much as one wishes, maybe not in certain cases, but not none.
But i get it, your assessment is rife with hyperbole, and that lends well to the emotionalism accompanying the frustration we all feel. The problem with emotional assessment is it overlooks those aspects which are sound.
It has been observed that NE won 3 games this year, and that such numbers historically spell doom for a program. However it is also the case that, historically, 3 win teams fold up and mail the last games in. Given everything that has transpired this year to these kids, no one would have been surprised had they done just that. And likely that would have been the back-break straw for Frost.
It is my belief that any leader whom can hold up under this year's circumstances, and still hold sway over his troops is a person worth following. The kids told me so this year.
We sucked at punting this season, Im thinking we can wait another before attempting to punt one more coach.
You make a valid point about Frost not losing the team, and the fact that the team never did quit on him. It seems that Frost has some ability to motivate, even during times of adversity. That is a desirable trait in a head coach. But, motivation is only one facet of a head coach's necessary skill set. The kids are playing hard, but not smart. They are giving effort, but it's not consistent or detailed enough. Frost has shown limited ability to identify problems and correct them (like STs, red zone issues, turnovers, etc) . The Offense still can't string more than a couple quarters of well executed football together, and this is after 4 years in Frost's system. The level of detail, and discipline, is just not up to required standards, so we keep losing, and many times to teams who have less talent. Something needs to change in the approach, preparation, etc. or we will get the same underachieving results next year and beyond, as we get outcoached by coaches who can motivate, prepare, strategize, and hone in on the details.....

Another example of reading something I say and applying your own narrative to it. I never suggested anyone was responsible for preventing Scott from being successful. But if that is the case, it certainly should be corrected. As far as I know, Scott could do whatever he wanted, but Trev suggests some issues from the administration early on.

What I was clearly suggesting was that a good AD won’t simply say to himself, the coach failed and I’m going to fire him. There are objective, identifiable things that can be learned from talking to players, coaches, and assessing day to day operations. He should take the opportunity to find WHY that coach is failing. That way, he can either help fix it if possible, or hire a new coach and avoid the same mistakes in the future. In the past, the knee jerk reaction has been to replace the staff and wipe their hands of it. That hasn’t worked very well.

I’m sorry if that bothers some who see this rational process as too supportive of the current coach. But my desire is a successful program, not simply to feel gratification of watching yet another coach leave without progress.
Wouldn’t a good coach see the failings of the program before the AD would. Who is closer to the program and has the finger on the pulse than the head coach

What make a good coach is admitting there are problems that are not being addressed. Yet SF for four years now has kicked the can down the road in hopes it would get better.

Now, four years in the Frost system they search for 4 coaches and if Frost hand over the furies of OC to the OC will be the big question. So here comes another new system it seems Frost was given all the square pegs and continued to try and pound them all in the round holes.

Four years in and to sit back and say we are in a wait see situation is just further evidence the can will still be kicked.

Hope it all gets worked out. I’d rather see the coach fighting for change rather than the AD

Wouldn’t a good coach see the failings of the program before the AD would. Who is closer to the program and has the finger on the pulse than the head coach

What make a good coach is admitting there are problems that are not being addressed. Yet SF for four years now has kicked the can down the road in hopes it would get better.

Now, four years in the Frost system they search for 4 coaches and if Frost hand over the furies of OC to the OC will be the big question. So here comes another new system it seems Frost was given all the square pegs and continued to try and pound them all in the round holes.

Four years in and to sit back and say we are in a wait see situation is just further evidence the can will still be kicked.

Hope it all gets worked out. I’d rather see the coach fighting for change rather than the AD

Of course, we don't know that Frost hadn't already decided to make changes, and that it came up in his talks with TA. But it's better to just speculate.

Yes, you would hope a very experienced coach would see things better than someone on the outside of his circle. But Frost is not experienced and is growing into the job. And sometimes, when you are immersed in the everyday activities, you don’t see things that may be obvious to someone from outside. So, when things aren’t working, it’s good to get an outside set of eyes to ask you why you are doing something a certain way. It makes you question what you had previously assumed as fact or good practice. I perceive that Barry Alvarez is part of the reason Wisconsin can move on from coaching a staffs and continue winning on the field with a new staff.

Frost is coming back next year. The only thing in my power is to support him and Trev in their efforts to get this program over the hump. Arguing about whether he should have been retained or wringing my hands over whether the exercise will be successful is not useful. All I can do is hope that Trev is right in his assessment of things.

you are welcome to your opinion

Player development in year four on the offensive side of ball. Just facts
1. How many first team big players will we have? 0
2. How many second team big ten players will be have? probably 0-1 (austin)
3. How many honorable mention ? TBD

So once these are released tell how that sizes up SF recruiting and player development

Yes, you would hope a very experienced coach would see things better than someone on the outside of his circle. But Frost is not experienced and is growing into the job. And sometimes, when you are immersed in the everyday activities, you don’t see things that may be obvious to someone from outside. So, when things aren’t working, it’s good to get an outside set of eyes to ask you why you are doing something a certain way. It makes you question what you had previously assumed as fact or good practice. I perceive that Barry Alvarez is part of the reason Wisconsin can move on from coaching a staffs and continue winning on the field with a new staff.

Frost is coming back next year. The only thing in my power is to support him and Trev in their efforts to get this program over the hump. Arguing about whether he should have been retained or wringing my hands over whether the exercise will be successful is not useful. All I can do is hope that Trev is right in his assessment of things.
Or possibly TA by retaining SF was just buying down the severance and giving himself time to find his new HC.

Given the number of high profile HC openings this year which wasn't clear 2 weeks ago, I am less upset with retaining what has clearly been a bad HC.

Or possibly TA by retaining SF was just buying down the severance and giving himself time to find his new HC.

Given the number of high profile HC openings this year which wasn't clear 2 weeks ago, I am less upset with retaining what has clearly been a bad HC.
I'm not sure how TA may be just buying down SF's severance has much to do with what I said and what you were responding to. I was responding to someone who said the head coach will always be able to see the problems better than the AD. My comment was about suggesting that an outside set of eyes can often see things that those submersed in the program cannot, as they simply accept that as how things are done.

But, yes, the contractual agreement does "buy down" a potential severance. I disagree with what appears to be your implication that TA may have suckered Frost into this deal while secretly intending to fire Frost next year and replace him with a new coach and is just buying time to do so. I've not seen anything to suggest that TA is someone that plays underhanded games like that.

I'm happy to hear you are at peace with the decision to retain now. I just hope you are prepared for the possibility that SF will meet TA's expectations and be here beyond next season.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back