• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022-23 NFL Season Discussion Thread

That has been an issue with KC for awhile and it is frustrating.

The AFC surprises for me is the strength of the AFC East and futility of the AFC West. I expected the West to have 3-4 playoff contenders and didn't expect much out of the East behind Buffalo. Its been an interesting season and I'm looking forward to the playoffs much more than the college bowl season.
KC never seems like the whole team is playing on the same page at the same time. One aspect of the team is always in disarray. Doesn't bode well for the playoffs. IMO, KC is very fortunate that the rest of the AFCW all collectively forgot how to play competitive football this season. A lot of that has to do with the quality of HC's in the division.

I agree about the level of interest for the playoffs. I wasn't a huge fan of adding the #7 seeds a few years ago, but this may be the first postseason when having a #7 seed is justifiable.

I'm interested to see if Baker Mayfield takes the field at any point tonight for the Rams. I don't dislike the guy, but not really a big follower of his either. I do think he was done dirty by Cleveland, and that organization deserves to have their experience with DeShaun Watson blow up in their face. The Rams are a far cry from where they were this time last year, but it's a chance for Baker to audition for some teams going into next year.

Dallas was a 17.5-point favorite at home against the 1-10-1 Texans today. And they had to pull a win out of the fire in the last minute. That's yet another reason why I'm skeptical about Dallas. They have as much or more talent than maybe any other team, but are also wildly inconsistent.

Meanwhile, the Eagles hammered the Giants today in the Meadowlands.

Last edited:
The races are heating up. Another very unpredictable season. Lots of wild storylines. And mostly, a lot more defense (less offense) than recent trends had shown.

And while I'm an NFL fan year 'round, my full focus starts now, as the college postseason mostly bores me anymore (though I am a bit curious in the playoff this year -- more than most). Regardless, until the playoff, I don't care much (sorry to confess). I'll care when Nebraska returns to that non-playoff-but-at-least-a-bowl level. ;)

Feel free to throw in any thoughts you have.

As an Eagles fan, I'm watching the NFC East -- and NFC, in general, closely. The NFC East is really good this season -- unexpectedly the best division in football.

Philly has been the most consistently good in the NFL this season. Clearly #1 in any power ranking at this point.

But -- Dallas can be scary good. When they are clicking on both sides at the same time, there may not be a better team. When both sides of the ball are clicking.

But Philly's offense is arguably the most dangerous as December turns to January. Hurts and crew put up 363 yards rushing last week. This week, 386 yards passing by Hurts -- 29/39, 3 TDs, 0 INTs (the guy doesn't turn the ball over much at all). Hurts is the MVP at this point.

Anyhow, Philly and Dallas are my top 2.

#3 is San Fran. But -- they've got a QB issue now. Jimmy G is done. Trey Lance was done long ago. In comes #3 QB, Brock Purdy (yes, the other Purdy, the ISU Purdy lol). And he looked good. But will that continue? Can you expect that from your #3? The Niners D is quite good.

#4 is Minnesota. They are an improved team this season. Or are they? Statistically, they are about the same. Neither their offense nor defense ranks anywhere near the top. Are they playing smarter? Fewer turnovers? The Vikes are winning more -- no debating that. I'm just not convinced they aren't a step or so below the three teams above them.

#5 is Washington. Though I could argue they are closer to #4 currently -- if not for a poor start to the season. 1-4 to start. 6-1-1 since. They are playing well behind Heinicke. No doubt D.C. is bigtime behind their team -- which has been infrequently at this point in the season more years than not for quite a while now.

#6 Giants.

#7 Seahawks.

#8 is NOT even WORTH it!
Bro, you missed your calling. This article is EXCELLENT!!! Love how you have MY team at #5 commanders

@BleedinHuskerRed I knew Denver would figure out how to score points against a dreadful KC defense. Granted, Mahomes threw some absolutely boneheaded INT's that didn't help the situation, but yesterday was exhibit A of how this KC team isn't equipped to win in the playoffs. Mahomes had to throw two jaw-dropping TD's to outscore a team that averages less than 14 points a game.

I've already been told to relax and enjoy KC winning games, but this isn't a team coached by Todd Haley, led by Matt Cassel. At some point in the season, a team led by the game's best QB and a future HoF HC needs to look like a true contender, and not a team scrapping by. Philly just went out and buried NYG on the road. That's what a Super Bowl contender does.

@BleedinHuskerRed I knew Denver would figure out how to score points against a dreadful KC defense. Granted, Mahomes threw some absolutely boneheaded INT's that didn't help the situation, but yesterday was exhibit A of how this KC team isn't equipped to win in the playoffs. Mahomes had to throw two jaw-dropping TD's to outscore a team that averages less than 14 points a game.

I've already been told to relax and enjoy KC winning games, but this isn't a team coached by Todd Haley, led by Matt Cassel. At some point in the season, a team led by the game's best QB and a future HoF HC needs to look like a true contender, and not a team scrapping by. Philly just went out and buried NYG on the road. That's what a Super Bowl contender does.

FWIW, KC isn't alone. Most likely playoff teams seem to be just getting by. The Bills haven't looked like the early season Super Bowl favorite for at least a month. Dallas needed a late comeback to scrape by lowly Houston. The Vikings got beat by the increasingly interesting Detroit Lions yesterday. Miami lost to the Chargers, etc.

There are three teams playing well right now, heading into the stretch run: Philly, San Fran, and Cincinnati.

FWIW, KC isn't alone. Most likely playoff teams seem to be just getting by. The Bills haven't looked like the early season Super Bowl favorite for at least a month. Dallas needed a late comeback to scrape by lowly Houston. The Vikings got beat by the increasingly interesting Detroit Lions yesterday. Miami lost to the Chargers, etc.

There are three teams playing well right now, heading into the stretch run: Philly, San Fran, and Cincinnati.
You're right HWM. KC isn't alone in their lackluster play right now. Typically, though for KC, the team hits a rough patch, works its way out of it, and cruises the rest of the season. They were 3-4 at one point last season and 6-4 in 2019 before winning 9-straight to a Super Bowl title. I just don't see that all coming together at this point.

Speaking of the Lions, they've come out of nowhere to knock on the doors of the playoffs. I'm guessing 9 wins is their ceiling. Maybe that's enough to get the #7 seed, but I think the Washington/NYG tie a couple of weeks ago is going to be the difference maker for that #7 spot.

@HuskerWeatherman . My commanders play the giants sunday. it got flexed to sunday night. should i be nervous? hope u you do a breakdown for the weekend.

I don't have an extensive preview to offer, but I'll say this: I'd take the Commanders at home versus a Giants team that has hit the skids.

Primary reason why the NYG hopes have faded? Saquon Barkley.

Barkley looks done. Over the last four games (Giants are 0-3-1), he's rushed 53 times for 152 yards combined. That's 2.9 YPC. The Giants success hinges largely on a healthy, productive Saquon Barkley -- and he looked good the first half of the season when New York was winning. Unfortunately for Giants fans (I have no love for Giants fans lol), Barkley is very infrequently healthy and productive anymore. If he's not eating up yards and the clock, it exposes Daniel Jones as a very mediocre QB and the defense is on the field too much. Take Washington.

Last edited:

Looked who worked themselves back into the playoff picture. The New England Patriots. The last four games for all the AFCE teams are going to be brutal.
Bills have: Miami, at Chicago, at Cincy, NE
Dolphins have: at Buffalo, GB, at NE, NYJ
Jets have: Detroit, Jax, at Seattle, at Miami
Patriots have: at LV, Cincy, Miami, at Buffalo

As a Chiefs fan, I'm hoping Buffalo gets beaten up over the next four weeks. Chargers just need to not screw up, and they'll likely slide into a playoff spot.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back