• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 offense and Adrian

AM’s problems last year were many.

1. I think he put on a little too much wt and lost some quickness. They said he weighed 225, I bet he was closer to 235. Dropping 10 lbs would help a lot.

2. He was hurt. I think something was up with his throwing arm from day 1. He should be better now.

3. Bad Snaps

4. Less play makers. He lost Morgan and Ozigbo and they weren’t replaced.

5. I think this doesn’t get mentioned enough. They want the QB to be the distributor. They want him to get the ball to the right spot and do less freelancing. I don’t think he was very good at that last year and part of that was #4.
He tried to make more plays with his arm and less with his feet, which is good, but he went too far that way. It is almost like he was over coached on not improvising.

6. I think he felt the weight of the expectation placed on him and he didn’t handle it well. I think he said as much after the season was over.
Agree on all. I think the empty stadiums will help him with #6.

In my experience, it seems like dual-threat QBs are generally better runners than passers. Just look at Frazier, Crouch, TMagic or Armstrong. With the exception of TMagic, none of those guys threw a poor looking ball -- they just ran it a lot better. Or in the case of Tommie, we ran an offense largely built on pitches and reads, opposed to drop-back pocket passing, so TFraz never needed to really stand back and chuck it like John Elway.

Anyway, my point is this: since a lot of dual threat guys are run-first, I think the natural inclination for a coach is to try and develop their passing mechanics in Year 2. Work on the lesser part of their game. And that makes sense, but I feel like sometimes you see a regression with dual threat QBs in Year 2 because they're trying to really be an Elway and not be dependent on their legs. It's like when Rocky had to learn to fight right-handed.

So you overcompensate on the passing game, and by default, remove the running threat out of the toolbox. You're left with a kinda-decent passer that's easy to rattle and pick off.

Here's hoping Frost will just let Adrian run wild this year.

Last edited:

Improved health, maturity/experience, better OLine performance + Omar Manning should help

GBR!

I am really hoping this years pass game consists of more roll outs and less straight drop back passes. It's my belief that Adrian must be a true dual threat for our offense to reach its true potential and that Adrian must run physically and with a purpose when he does run. I hope he has his no fear attitude back and is fearless in his play the rest of our offensive guys feed off this. I believe our line will be much improved and our Receivers' and Tight ends are ready to break out :thumbsup:
I disagree. We need to establish dominance in the run game. From the beginning of Devaney to the firing of Frank we ran the ball and won 5 National Championships plus numerous Conference Championships. The proof was in the pudding.

Last edited:
In my experience, it seems like dual-threat QBs are generally better runners than passers. Just look at Frazier, Crouch, TMagic or Armstrong. With the exception of TMagic, none of those guys threw a poor looking ball -- they just ran it a lot better. Or in the case of Tommie, we ran an offense largely built on pitches and reads, opposed to drop-back pocket passing, so TFraz never needed to really stand back and chuck it like John Elway.

Anyway, my point is this: since a lot of dual threat guys are run-first, I think the natural inclination for a coach is to try and develop their passing mechanics in Year 2. Work on the lesser part of their game. And that makes sense, but I feel like sometimes you see a regression with dual threat QBs in Year 2 because they're trying to really be an Elway and not be dependent on their legs. It's like when Rocky had to learn to fight right-handed.

So you overcompensate on the passing game, and by default, remove the running threat out of the toolbox. You're left with a kinda-decent passer that's easy to rattle and pick off.

Here's hoping Frost will just let Adrian run wild this year.
Agree

Well, he did recover, but the effects were lasting, mentally, which is my point.
228-368 (62%) 2,871 yds; 23 TD's passing Rating 141.5
1,317 yards rushing

That's T-Martinez's junior year. I would say he had his head on straight and would have done well in this offense.

A. Martinez in 2018 was the only season comparable in passing stats with about half the rushing yards.

228-368 (62%) 2,871 yds; 23 TD's passing Rating 141.5
1,317 yards rushing

That's T-Martinez's junior year. I would say he had his head on straight and would have done well in this offense.

A. Martinez in 2018 was the only season comparable in passing stats with about half the rushing yards.

stats do not show his change in running style. he still had good runs, but he ran differently, he ran scared of getting hit. Almost straight up and down.. AM started doing this after his freshman year, too.

Think that is the key. The better his protection is the better his confidence!
I will say again that I believe the issue is really with the snaps. This offense is based on quick decision timing. the 1-2 seconds it took to jump up and catch the ball, then readjust his eyes down the field and try to make a play after the D has had a chance to react. The bubble screens is a favorite whipping point for me. Part of the reason those did not work last year was poor center exchanges. if the RB has to stop in the flats and wait to bed found instead of catching the ball on the move the D has a chance to react. That play thrown even a second late gets blown up. All the blocking is set up for that ball to come out in the first 1-2 seconds before the D sees it.

I will say again that I believe the issue is really with the snaps. This offense is based on quick decision timing. the 1-2 seconds it took to jump up and catch the ball, then readjust his eyes down the field and try to make a play after the D has had a chance to react. The bubble screens is a favorite whipping point for me. Part of the reason those did not work last year was poor center exchanges. if the RB has to stop in the flats and wait to bed found instead of catching the ball on the move the D has a chance to react. That play thrown even a second late gets blown up. All the blocking is set up for that ball to come out in the first 1-2 seconds before the D sees it.

I agree with this. In a precision-timing offense like this the QB has to have his eyes downfield and make a decision in a hurry. It is much harder to run the offense efficiently if he wastes 1-2 seconds catching a high or low snap.

It was frustrating watching this last year because we saw this was an issue in the 2019 spring game, and in the videos of the 2019 fall camp practices there were many snaps that were off yet it never got fixed until about a third of the way through the season. IMO this is a practice issue. I know Frost wants to run a lot of reps in practice and holds off on correcting mistakes until afterward but bad snaps is probably something that should have been addressed in the moment, otherwise it never gets fixed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back