• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 offense and Adrian

19D Cav

Recruit
2 Year Member
I am really hoping this years pass game consists of more roll outs and less straight drop back passes. It's my belief that Adrian must be a true dual threat for our offense to reach its true potential and that Adrian must run physically and with a purpose when he does run. I hope he has his no fear attitude back and is fearless in his play the rest of our offensive guys feed off this. I believe our line will be much improved and our Receivers' and Tight ends are ready to break out :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I think you nailed it. I watched the GA Tech and UCF game this last Saturday and a couple of pretty dual threat QBs on those teams. The O-line play allowed the UCF QB in particular to really find his receivers. I know Adrian struggled last year but the porous (at times) line protection surely did not help.

We saw Adrian's 2nd year play in one other NU QB. AM changed exactly like T-Mart changed. Their running styles after their first years were almost identical. Both had great first years, but T-Mart changed and was never able to get back to that freshman year. I have serious doubts we will see the AM from his freshman year again. I personally believe it is mental.

Hope like heck I am wrong.

Last edited:

I am really hoping this years pass game consists of more roll outs and less straight drop back passes. It's my belief that Adrian must be a true dual threat for our offense to reach its true potential and that Adrian must run physically and with a purpose when he does run. I hope he has his no fear attitude back and is fearless in his play the rest of our offensive guys feed off this. I believe our line will be much improved and our Receivers' and Tight ends are ready to break out :thumbsup:
I agree. If he can regain his quickness from his freshman year, IMO he is a much better player outside of the pocket. Have to remember he was injured goods last year and I'm sure that influenced the play calling.

With the reduced number of games I hope AM is turned lose to run again. If he looks like he did last season it's time for him to take seat on the bench. No one player should hold back the team especially if you have a good option like LM. If AM is under performing and LM doesn't get a chance he will be next on the portal imo.

Last edited:
The passing game struggles were not all on Adrian Martinez. Outside of JD Spielman, our receivers weren't dynamic at all. Losing Stanley Morgan was a huge blow, and losing Spielman could be just as damaging.

I'm hoping Martinez has receivers that he can trust to be on the same page, run correct routes, and get open. The hiring of Matt Lubick is expected to help.

I think you nailed it. I watched the GA Tech and UCF game this last Saturday and a couple of pretty dual threat QBs on those teams. The O-line play allowed the UCF QB in particular to really find his receivers. I know Adrian struggled last year but the porous (at times) line protection surely did not help.
I think that the biggest issue last year was the timing being thrown off by the bad snaps. If we have fixed that we ae good.

The roll out game can be effective, not just in terms of making the QB a runner but also in terms of decision making. The roll out essentially eliminates half the field, making for easier reads and simplifying things. It can also throw off the d by presenting a "moving target". Sliding the line on a roll out can eliminate expected gaps by pass rushers, and edge blitz from the opposite side is all but neutralized, just based on the distance a guy has to go.

The roll out game can be effective, not just in terms of making the QB a runner but also in terms of decision making. The roll out essentially eliminates half the field, making for easier reads and simplifying things. It can also throw off the d by presenting a "moving target". Sliding the line on a roll out can eliminate expected gaps by pass rushers, and edge blitz from the opposite side is all but neutralized, just based on the distance a guy has to go.
This is exactly the same line of thinking I have. Hopefully we will see this and Help Adrian not think too much

We saw Adrian's 2nd year play in one other NU QB. AM changed exactly like T-Mart changed. Their running styles after their first years were almost identical. Both had great first years, but T-Mart changed and was never able to get back to that freshman year. I have serious doubts we will see the AM from his freshman year again. I personally believe it is mental.

Hope like heck I am wrong.
T mart was injured and never recovered.

And by all accounts AM was dinged all last year. Time will yell if he recovers physically. If he does he’s a great weapon. If he’s still slowed then imo it’s time to work through the depth chart.
I completely agree. There was multiple offensive issues last season with AM being a major one however.
We simply aren't good enough to have sub-par QB play and expect to win many games. So far our defense simply can't hold a lead late in games which we saw more then once. :mad: Lets hope AM can improve his performance and is the QB we need to have a winning record this season.

Last edited:

AM’s problems last year were many.

1. I think he put on a little too much wt and lost some quickness. They said he weighed 225, I bet he was closer to 235. Dropping 10 lbs would help a lot.

2. He was hurt. I think something was up with his throwing arm from day 1. He should be better now.

3. Bad Snaps

4. Less play makers. He lost Morgan and Ozigbo and they weren’t replaced.

5. I think this doesn’t get mentioned enough. They want the QB to be the distributor. They want him to get the ball to the right spot and do less freelancing. I don’t think he was very good at that last year and part of that was #4.
He tried to make more plays with his arm and less with his feet, which is good, but he went too far that way. It is almost like he was over coached on not improvising.

6. I think he felt the weight of the expectation placed on him and he didn’t handle it well. I think he said as much after the season was over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back