• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Womens World Cup; Final: USA vs Neatherlands

So what's everyone's take on the US goal celebrations? If it were a friendly, I'd have a problem with it, but no problem with their actions in a WC match. The only thing they need to be careful of would be their actions if another team built up a large lead, and celebrated.

I have never been a big celebration guy to begin with and I was a striker when I played competitive. To me over the last 20 years its gotten ridiculous how far players have taken it. With that being said its part of the game regardless if I like it or not.

As for folks moaning about 13 goals and all the celebrations it was up to Thialand to stop the USA not the USA to stop themselves when it comes to all those goals. As a coach I might have done it differently once we hit 6 or 7 goals however I can also see the logic for not doing so too.

We had a big target on our back coming into this competition to begin with ( we always do as the world's best side). So it got a little bigger which in the scheme of things does not change anything.

Hopefully Ellis understands with her actions allowing this that the gloves are off and we are the villian that will get no breaks or no mercy if the tables turn. I am not fan of Jill Ellis as all if you know but with that being said she made a decision in this case for a lot of obvious reasons that have brought criticism from a lot of sectors in many cases that do not even understand the sport. I may not agree with her approach but certainly will not criticize her as I actually understand what she did and why she did it. Does it make it harder for the USA? I honestly do not think so.

Oh and I have no problem supporting my country on the field. If I disagree I will say so like I did with Klinsman from day one but I will always proudly support the USA (and England).

Got a game coming up against Chile and that is what the team is focusing on.

Anyone remember the Norwegian train celebration against the women's team in the 90s? The way you stop it is by beating them which is what we did to them next time out

Oh and Hope Solo needs to shut up and go away

Last edited:

Brazil loses to the Aussie s on an own goal 3-2

Aussies came back from a 2 goal deficit

I have never been a fan of Brazil glad to see the Matildas win

Brazil lost me when they showed up two cups ago with five stars above their crest taking credit for the mens WC Cup wins. They got crucified for that as they should. Yet they still wear them to this day. Not to mention they can be divas

All that aside Australia was the better team on the day after a shaky start

Last edited:
Hate seeing people give the US women flack for scoring 13 and celebrating the goals.

It’s the World Cup! It comes around only every 4 years. And when you allow only 3 subs, what do you want the team to do? Tell it’s players to half-ass it in a tournament they’ve prepared their whole lives for? Dumb.

Brazil loses to the Aussie s on an own goal 3-2

Aussies came back from a 2 goal deficit

I have never been a fan of Brazil glad to see the Matildas win

Brazil lost me when they showed up two cups ago with five stars above their crest taking credit for the mens WC Cup wins. They got crucified for that as they should. Yet they still wear them to this day. Not to mention they can be divas

All that aside Australia was the better team on the day after a shaky start

I'm also not a big fan of the Brazil side, partially for the 5 stars, which I mentioned to my family yesterday. But, the other main reason is their consistent diving and complaining. The US vs. Brazil WC match in 2011 was case in point, Brazil player simply lays down by the goal late in the game, with Brazil leading in an egregious example of time wasting. You'd think she'd need a hospital trip with the way she was carrying on. Stretchered her off behind the goal area, where she immediately popped up and jogged back to the half line to reenter the game.

A few minutes later, Abby Wambach did this...

Last edited:

Today's schedule:

8:00 AM Central: Japan vs. Scotland
11:00 AM Central: Jamaica vs. Italy
2:00 PM Central: England vs. Argentina

I'm also not a big fan of the Brazil side, partially for the 5 stars, which I mentioned to my family yesterday. But, the other main reason is their consistent diving and complaining. The US vs. Brazil WC match in 2011 was case in point, Brazil player simply lays down by the goal late in the game, with Brazil leading in an egregious example of time wasting. You'd think she'd need a hospital trip with the way she was carrying on. Stretchered her off behind the goal area, where she immediately popped up and jogged back to the half line to reenter the game.

A few minutes later, Abby Wambach did this...

Yup

Esa Lindell approves.

England dominating half one but have nothing to show for it. In fact a missed PK

England has got to start scoring and thus far in three halfs has not shown much

Argentina is blessed to have one of the top two or three goalies in the world

They are putting everyone behind the ball bunkering down and hoping for one opportunity to win it

So what's everyone's take on the US goal celebrations? If it were a friendly, I'd have a problem with it, but no problem with their actions in a WC match. The only thing they need to be careful of would be their actions if another team built up a large lead, and celebrated.
I have no problem whatsoever with the number of goals scored. I have no problem with the celebrations when the score was still reasonable. But once things got out of hand, the continued celebrations were absolutely classless.

Today's (15 June) games:

8:00 AM Central: Netherlands vs. Cameroon
2:00 PM Central: Canada vs. New Zealand

The tournament so far has gone mostly as expected, with Italy's win over Australia and Argentina's tie with Japan being the only real surprises. Italy did not look that great defensively in their second match with Jamaica even though they got a shut out win. Argentina has given up only 1 goal in two matches behind great goalkeeping; but, a win over Scotland next Wednesday is still necessary to get them through to knockouts.

Assuming the US wins the group (still with two matches remaining and a difficult Sweden team on Thursday), it's looking like we get the winner of the Spain vs. China match coming up on Tuesday. And, France still looms in the quarterfinals, which would be played in Paris and be an absolutely great atmosphere.

Why is it that one person has to give up their beliefs/rights while the minority individual gains everything he/she wants?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back