• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 RPI Tracking

so you're saying those stats will improve because we'll have lost to teams outside the top 150 instead of in it? always a way to find a silver lining I guess...
I was saying the exact opposite, it will end up looking worse for Nebraska on paper when those rankings come down to reality.

Can't believe how highly rated Wichita State, Creighton, Ohio State, and Minnesota are. We have 9 losses to teams ranked in the top 58 right now. I think those will come back to reality soon, personally.

I agree. There's still some frauds with solid RPI's in early-April.

Young
Injuries
Northern school

Bad combination
I was actually looking at things and last year, we only gave up double digits twice all of 2017. Once to Oregon State and once to Arkansas. We've done it 6 times already this year and we are just past the mid-way point. We lost Burkamper who we could prepare for, Meyers who we just have to eat his scholarship this year, moved our other weekend starter to closer and decided to groom our set-up/closer for weekend starting this year. Then you have the 5 guys injured in the bullpen making their way back, and it makes sense why we have given up so many. Even after winning conference, I thought we could change our assistants a bit, this year isn't helping that.

RPI Update 4/9:

Well, we needed to go 2-1 at minimum against Sparty and we ended up getting swept by an atrocious team. Pretty indicative of what we all saw coming. I do think once we start getting guys healthy we will go on a little run, but that will be aided by "worse" teams we are playing and the hole we have dug won't be easy to make it look good anyway. Plus our RPI will continue to shrink a bit in my opinion with some teams we played early having their inflated RPIs go back down to reality, thus making some of our group one wins turn to two and so on.

This week we play 101st Kansas State, and 37th Iowa comes to town for a weekend series. Pretty much sink or swim time for the Huskers. Not too worried about the weekend game, but we need to perform against the Hawkeyes.

The win against Kansas State puts us back in the RPI top 100 taking us to 98th. We take on Iowa who is currently ranked 33rd. There is a bit of bad blood between these two teams, as Erstad thinks that Heller had his kid intentionally throw at Meyers in a previous season. Silva is also losing his recruiting stronghold in that state, guys like Ben Miller, Derek Burkamper, Austin Christensen, guys we wanted over there we pretty much took. Since Heller was hired it's flipped, and it started with him flipping Swanda from us in the 2018 recruiting class. Luckily that kid got drafted and went the MLB route.

Iowa comes into the game playing some really good baseball, which i'm sure will continue as they play a division 3 school today (they schedule a lot of those each year for some reason). We will see if our pitching can hold up, or if our bats need to score double digits yet again to win games.

s they play a division 3 school today (they schedule a lot of those each year for some reason).

I love that scheduling technique. You can really build depth that way and give your starters an ab and then rest them. Plus, you get to try out a lot of arms that otherwise wouldn't sniff the mound.

I was actually looking at things and last year, we only gave up double digits twice all of 2017. Once to Oregon State and once to Arkansas. We've done it 6 times already this year and we are just past the mid-way point. We lost Burkamper who we could prepare for, Meyers who we just have to eat his scholarship this year, moved our other weekend starter to closer and decided to groom our set-up/closer for weekend starting this year. Then you have the 5 guys injured in the bullpen making their way back, and it makes sense why we have given up so many. Even after winning conference, I thought we could change our assistants a bit, this year isn't helping that.
We have also struggled, because of terrible fielding play, decisions on the basepaths and failure at the plate, which includes double plays to wipe out big innings. :Bananalazy: So many things!!

Nebraska moved up to 92nd from 98th after a weekend series split with Iowa. Would have been nice to try and get that series win at home, but the way this season is going, we probably would have went 1-2. This week brings Kansas State (119th), UNOmaha (253rd), and for the weekend series we are at Rutgers (143rd). If I had to predict, we are going to fall back out of the top100 next Monday. We don't have the pitching depth and we play some poorly ranked teams. 4-1 is our only shot to not fall in the rankings and that will be tough. Hoping we somehow find enough offense to win the weekday games, then go 2-1 on an away conference series.

Nebraska moved up to 92nd from 98th after a weekend series split with Iowa. Would have been nice to try and get that series win at home, but the way this season is going, we probably would have went 1-2. This week brings Kansas State (119th), UNOmaha (253rd), and for the weekend series we are at Rutgers (143rd). If I had to predict, we are going to fall back out of the top100 next Monday. We don't have the pitching depth and we play some poorly ranked teams. 4-1 is our only shot to not fall in the rankings and that will be tough. Hoping we somehow find enough offense to win the weekday games, then go 2-1 on an away conference series.

I suggest that these 5 games will be more of an indicator of the players rather than the coaching staff. If you play college baseball and you cannot get up to pad your numbers over this stretch, you need to GTFO. A player should LIVE for these games and get dialed in; ESPECIALLY when the season isn’t going well.

Anything less than 4-1, I don’t put on DE. Time to just step up, play ball, and get your stats. If they don’t, every position should be open next season. I’d even consider nuking the roster and bring in JUCOs at that point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back