• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2014 Cornhusker Football Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, there have been occasions over the past few seasons when "just don't fumble it" was the preferred option. We have yet to find that sure-handed guy with that ability to make tacklers miss.

Westerkamp is a wide receiver and reportedly has the best hands on the team - sounds like it should be a good combination to me. Maybe there's something involved with the scheme that is limiting his possibilities?

I see 3 potential areas for concern.

1. QB. – not so much long term because I believe Armstrong is going to be a winner. We are going to hand the ball over to either a sophomore or a redshirt freshman. I understand that there has been an increase in strong QB play from Freshman as of late (Winston, Mansiel) but I think those are still exceptions to the rule. QB play will have to cut down on overall turnovers if this team is ever going to take a step forward towards being an elite team. It will be interesting to watch the QB comp this spring and into next year.
  2. OL – I am not sure we are at the point of reloading like we used to. Losing the amount of Offensive lineman that we have is going to be a challenge especially when you mix in young QB’s. We may do better than expected so we will have to wait and see but let’s not act like it isn’t an area of concern, it is.
  3. CB’s – See point #2. We lose two veteran’s so we will have to see how we adjust and what the new guys bring to the table. Ciante made a lot of plays for us this season and he will be missed big time.
The other positions on this team seem to be building nice depth. QB play and the ability for us to avoid the kind of injuries on the OL will be the two biggest factors in what kind of season we have next year.
I am always going to temper my expectations to be conservative until I see this team play more consistent in their overall play and execution. I would say 2 to 3 losses next year are a real possibility. I have a hard time seeing this team make a magical run next season but hey, there is always hope and 2015.
I am excited about watching.
Ameer.
Gregory.
Rose.
Adam Taylor.(hopefully)
Alexander.
And others but these guys stick out the most in my mind at the moment.

Good post, RA. O-Line is my biggest concern heading into next season.

I'd like to see the QB take owenership of the team and I like the idea of limiting Abdullah's carries. That may impact a Heismann Campaign, but the goal should be to keep him healthy and get the guys behind him some expereince. I'd like to see this coming year's offense live up to last year's predictions so that we can substitute more and build some depth and rest the weary.

With both Stanton and Armstrong being young, do we continue to get the #2 snaps or pick one and go with him?

Westerkamp is a wide receiver and reportedly has the best hands on the team - sounds like it should be a good combination to me. Maybe there's something involved with the scheme that is limiting his possibilities?

Westerkamp is slow for a WR and hasn't shown much ability to make tacklers miss...however, I do think the scheme could be set up better to allow someone (ANYONE, please!) to have more success. There are enough playmakers on the roster to find someone, but with the current scheme it doesn't seem to matter who is back there, they won't have much success.

We have weakness at several positions/area's: OL, DL, QB, CB, and all special teams. We are good at: RB and WR. We are average at best at: LB, TE/FB, S. Fortunately, we have a weak non-conference schedule, a weak BIG schedule, and Randy Gregory. Perhaps, we will get lucky with another JUCO or two as well. All in all, it looks like more of the same...but maybe this is the year?

We have weakness at several positions/area's: OL, DL, QB, CB, and all special teams. We are good at: RB and WR. We are average at best at: LB, TE/FB, S. Fortunately, we have a weak non-conference schedule, a weak BIG schedule, and Randy Gregory. Perhaps, we will get lucky with another JUCO or two as well. All in all, it looks like more of the same...but maybe this is the year?

i wouldn't say we are weak at DL, in fact, i think that will be a strength. OL, QB, and CB are all question marks, but there is talent there. the biggest question on the OL is will there be enough quality depth. i think the first 5 will be good. and i personally think we are better than average at LB and S.
honestly, we saw what the team can do when it actually limits mistakes with the gator bowl win. now the question is can they do it for a whole season?

I really like the parts we have on defense, they have a chance to be very good! I hope that all the young guys learned from their experience playing for all the injured guys on the offense. I think 2014 has the potential to be a good team. It kind of reminds me of 2009, when our defense was the strength and the offense was a work in progress. The best thing we have going is that we go Ameer back to help the young guys along.

i wouldn't say we are weak at DL, in fact, i think that will be a strength. OL, QB, and CB are all question marks, but there is talent there. the biggest question on the OL is will there be enough quality depth. i think the first 5 will be good. and i personally think we are better than average at LB and S.
honestly, we saw what the team can do when it actually limits mistakes with the gator bowl win. now the question is can they do it for a whole season?

I agree with this. I think Alexander at S has proved to be one of our better tacklers on the team. I expect good things from him.

Westerkamp is slow for a WR and hasn't shown much ability to make tacklers miss...however, I do think the scheme could be set up better to allow someone (ANYONE, please!) to have more success. There are enough playmakers on the roster to find someone, but with the current scheme it doesn't seem to matter who is back there, they won't have much success.

If Westerkamp can be surehanded, then we need to find ways to use him as a possesion receiver on 3rd downs

I think the DL has a chance to be good. Really good. But if injuries hit the DL we are toast, just like what happened with the OL last season. Games are won up front on both sides of the ball and depth is an issue.

I think the DL has a chance to be good. Really good. But if injuries hit the DL we are toast, just like what happened with the OL last season. Games are won up front on both sides of the ball and depth is an issue.

Perhaps the ends, but I think there is quality depth with tackles. VV, Curry, Collins, Maurice, Clinkscales (if he gets here), Kevin Williams, and possibly Newell.

I think the DL needs lots of work. VV was not a force and needs at least another full year before he becomes a strong player. Clinkscales will need to produce fast. It appears we have lost Moss, who was performing at least reasonably well by year end. Maurice and Collins are a long way from being big time players at this point one to two years away. Gregory is outstanding, but needs to gain weight to become a real force on both rushing and passing downs. We will likely be better at Ankrah's position, no matter who wins it...but it is unlikely to be a strong point given the lack of experience.

OL is weak because of a general lack of experience. We have lost our three best OL's and the remaining players any clearly neither experienced nor a highly talented talented group. Our best hope is that they are hard workers...that can make up for a lot in the trenches. There is no depth at all, so any injuries will be far more devastating next year than they were this year when we did have a bit of depth.

I think we are pedestrian average at LB, with Rose the lone bright spot. Perhaps Bando can get things figured out with a year under his belt, but that's a big if...others have not impressed at all so far. Speedy? Yes...but they need top be coached up. Safeties? I think the play there was very average all year...certainly no stars, but not a glaring weakness either.

No mention of special teams? Without significant improvement all around...this could be the reason we miss out on the CCG next year. Bell is the lone bright spot, but he can't do it alone. Our punter needs to reduce the shanks by leaps and bounds...in crucial situations he reminds me of me standing over a $100 5-foot putt...yips galore.

PS--At RB, though we look "stocked," an injury to AA would hurt badly because Bo will feel obligated to give Cross and Newby the first shot at it...before we settle on the next star RB in the stable. Similarly at WR, an injury to Bell would be crippling, the others are really unproven except for Burch who is overacheiving. QB...who knows what will happen there? TA is OK but hasn't flashed anything close to star quality...maybe JS is the real deal...but maybe not.

Last edited:

I think the DL needs lots of work. VV was not a force and needs at least another full year before he becomes a strong player. Clinkscales will need to produce fast. It appears we have lost Moss, who was performing at least reasonably well by year end. Maurice and Collins are a long way from being big time players at this point one to two years away. Gregory is outstanding, but needs to gain weight to become a real force on both rushing and passing downs. We will likely be better at Ankrah's position, no matter who wins it...but it is unlikely to be a strong point given the lack of experience.

OL is weak because of a general lack of experience. We have lost our three best OL's and the remaining players any clearly neither experienced nor a highly talented talented group. Our best hope is that they are hard workers...that can make up for a lot in the trenches. There is no depth at all, so any injuries will be far more devastating next year than they were this year when we did have a bit of depth.

I think we are pedestrian average at LB, with Rose the lone bright spot. Perhaps Bando can get things figured out with a year under his belt, but that's a big if...others have not impressed at all so far. Speedy? Yes...but they need top be coached up. Safeties? I think the play there was very average all year...certainly no stars, but not a glaring weakness either.

No mention of special teams? Without significant improvement all around...this could be the reason we miss out on the CCG next year. Bell is the lone bright spot, but he can't do it alone. Our punter needs to reduce the shanks by leaps and bounds...in crucial situations he reminds me of me standing over a $100 5-foot putt...yips galore.

PS--At RB, though we look "stocked," an injury to AA would hurt badly because Bo will feel obligated to give Cross and Newby the first shot at it...before we settle on the next star RB in the stable. Similarly at WR, an injury to Bell would be crippling, the others are really unproven except for Burch who is overacheiving. QB...who knows what will happen there? TA is OK but hasn't flashed anything close to star quality...maybe JS is the real deal...but maybe not.

All righ, allow me to retort :)

I think the interior of the DL with VV, Curry, Collins, Maurice, and possibly Williams will be a strength. I think the LBs will only get better with experience, and there are options with Rose, Bando, Santos, Anderson, Newby, and Love.
The OL might kack depth, but Cotton is solid, and Sterup and Reeves got much needed experience. Obviously a young guy like Finnin or Knevel will have to step up for it to be a good line.
I agree with you about special teams. That and turnovers have to be the focal points this off-season.
But overall, I like the talent that has been stockpiled. They looked just as athletic as UGA in the bowl game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back