• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2014 Cornhusker Football Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair

Husker Die Hard
15 Year Member
N2FL recently posted this very good article regarding the team this year:

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/content.php?601-2014-to-be-Defining-Season-for-Pelini

Great run-down! Good talent almost across the board. Curious to read where everyone thinks our strength and weaknesses are. Where we might need help, where we don't. Can we survive another rash of injuries this year? Are there any incoming Freshmen who may make an impact? How will we match up in the B1G this year?

One sincere request. Please leave opinions re: our coaches, pro or con out of this discussion? Plenty of other threads for that battle. I'd like to hear what you think about the team.

:gobigred:

Nicely done...obviously he N2FL around here way to much. :wow: I like the enthusiasm he has for the next year.

Cutting down on turnovers alone will make the team much better.

Good QB play and a healthy team would allow us to challenge for the Big10.

I see 3 potential areas for concern.

1. QB. – not so much long term because I believe Armstrong is going to be a winner. We are going to hand the ball over to either a sophomore or a redshirt freshman. I understand that there has been an increase in strong QB play from Freshman as of late (Winston, Mansiel) but I think those are still exceptions to the rule. QB play will have to cut down on overall turnovers if this team is ever going to take a step forward towards being an elite team. It will be interesting to watch the QB comp this spring and into next year.
  2. OL – I am not sure we are at the point of reloading like we used to. Losing the amount of Offensive lineman that we have is going to be a challenge especially when you mix in young QB’s. We may do better than expected so we will have to wait and see but let’s not act like it isn’t an area of concern, it is.
  3. CB’s – See point #2. We lose two veteran’s so we will have to see how we adjust and what the new guys bring to the table. Ciante made a lot of plays for us this season and he will be missed big time.
The other positions on this team seem to be building nice depth. QB play and the ability for us to avoid the kind of injuries on the OL will be the two biggest factors in what kind of season we have next year.
I am always going to temper my expectations to be conservative until I see this team play more consistent in their overall play and execution. I would say 2 to 3 losses next year are a real possibility. I have a hard time seeing this team make a magical run next season but hey, there is always hope and 2015.
I am excited about watching.
Ameer.
Gregory.
Rose.
Adam Taylor.(hopefully)
Alexander.
And others but these guys stick out the most in my mind at the moment.

I see 3 potential areas for concern.

1. QB. – not so much long term because I believe Armstrong is going to be a winner. We are going to hand the ball over to either a sophomore or a redshirt freshman. I understand that there has been an increase in strong QB play from Freshman as of late (Winston, Mansiel) but I think those are still exceptions to the rule. QB play will have to cut down on overall turnovers if this team is ever going to take a step forward towards being an elite team. It will be interesting to watch the QB comp this spring and into next year.
  2. OL – I am not sure we are at the point of reloading like we used to. Losing the amount of Offensive lineman that we have is going to be a challenge especially when you mix in young QB’s. We may do better than expected so we will have to wait and see but let’s not act like it isn’t an area of concern, it is.
  3. CB’s – See point #2. We lose two veteran’s so we will have to see how we adjust and what the new guys bring to the table. Ciante made a lot of plays for us this season and he will be missed big time.

Agree on all points especially about QB. Armstrong was erratic but also very young and inexperienced. The camp legitimately fighting for the #1 spot will help a lot. Stanton has hype and nothing more to this point. Hopefully between the two of them, we find a quality QB who doesn't need to do it all but rather run the offense effectively.

OL depth got quality reps last season so that is a plau.

CB will have new starters but I think we will be okay, especially if the D line continues to improve.

Cutting down on turnovers alone will make the team much better.

Good QB play and a healthy team would allow us to challenge for the Big10.

THis and i would also like to see as mentioned the TE becoming a factor. We got the talent lets use it

wouldn't it be great if nebraska actually used special teams as a weapon instead of a means to an end? it may not be the prudent thing to do, but i would love to see them try to block the punt almost every single time.

wouldn't it be great if nebraska actually used special teams as a weapon instead of a means to an end? it may not be the prudent thing to do, but i would love to see them try to block the punt almost every single time.

Might as well. Its not like we do anything but attempt to fair catch the punt anyway.

Might as well. Its not like we do anything but attempt to fair catch the punt anyway.

man do i hope that changes next year. i really think bo should take over special teams and get a bunch of walkons and young guys trying to make a push for playing time, and just unleash them.

man do i hope that changes next year. i really think bo should take over special teams and get a bunch of walkons and young guys trying to make a push for playing time, and just unleash them.

I don't care what he does to change special teams at this point, just that there is a massive change in Punt return/block scheme. Anything beyond "just don't fumble it" would be a huge improvement!!

Red Army sums up the position concerns as I would. Especially at Cornerback. It isn't that we don't have some talent on the roster, just that experience is light. Mitchell plays way bigger than his true size though!

I don't care what he does to change special teams at this point, just that there is a massive change in Punt return/block scheme. Anything beyond "just don't fumble it" would be a huge improvement!!
And yet, there have been occasions over the past few seasons when "just don't fumble it" was the preferred option. We have yet to find that sure-handed guy with that ability to make tacklers miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back