• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2013 *PROJECTED* OLine Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems like most seasons a walkon or a home grown scholarship player sneaks into the mix. Maybe a guy like Utter breaks into the conversation. Much like Long did a couple of years ago.

The Journal Star weighed in today with their post-spring depth chart. (Remember, Finnin and Kondolo have yet to arrive to campus.)

LT: Brent Qvale, sr.; Matt Finnin, jr.
LG: Jake Cotton, jr.; Ryne Reeves, so., OR Chongo Kondolo, jr.
C: Cole Pensick, sr.; Mark Pelini, jr.
RG: Spencer Long, sr.; Mike Moudy, jr.
RT: Jeremiah Sirles, sr.; Andrew Rodriguez, sr.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_edfea1d5-1f62-5ce6-8375-275f9fa265ca.html

Right tackle and Center have me a little concerned at this point.

I think Finnin will be the other tackle. Kids got some serious talent. Center is up in the air right now but Pensick will be ok. Hes got some good guards to help him out, thats pretty huge for center development.

Center, LG and LT look to be the week spots to me.

I think Cotton is pretty good. Great get off, very agressive and really good feet. Center I agree is probably the biggest question mark. If im Garrison, Qvale is LT, Finnin is RT. If thats not the case, Im not overally concerned if its Sirles. Rodriguez is the one that would keep me up at night worrying about.

Why RT? Sirles is a good player and we hurt when he wasn't playing last year at times. Watch what Finnin does when he gets here and what spot he takes. He should be a sophomore when he gets his year back.

The Journal Star weighed in today with their post-spring depth chart. (Remember, Finnin and Kondolo have yet to arrive to campus.)

LT: Brent Qvale, sr.; Matt Finnin, jr.
LG: Jake Cotton, jr.; Ryne Reeves, so., OR Chongo Kondolo, jr.
C: Cole Pensick, sr.; Mark Pelini, jr.
RG: Spencer Long, sr.; Mike Moudy, jr.
RT: Jeremiah Sirles, sr.; Andrew Rodriguez, sr.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_edfea1d5-1f62-5ce6-8375-275f9fa265ca.html

I still feel that qvale should/could be our best RT...not sure the coaches will make the switch but im gonna put it down anyway. With finnin coming in as a more legit LT it allows the coaches to make the move and sirles can hold down the position until finnin gets ready to play before the oct/nov roles around..

LT...finnin, sirles
LG...cotton,reeves
C...pensick, pelini
RG...long, moudy
RT...qvale, sterup

I am leaving kondola and arod off my 2 deep...first year linemen generally dont set the world on fire from day one and from the bit i watched of his film he will not get by on physical ability alone, hopefully finnin does. A rod just doesnt show me much and considering he is a senior the coaches will probable play him more than sterup but im going with the more athletic player in zach.

Last edited:
I think Finnin will be the other tackle. Kids got some serious talent. Center is up in the air right now but Pensick will be ok. Hes got some good guards to help him out, thats pretty huge for center development.

pensick was great against UgA's huge NT and Pelini, although undersized, is just fine as a backup. Key is developing the next guy there. not sure why anyone's worried at that position at all.

IMO, Sirles is the best OT on roster, so no worry at RT as long as he stays on the field over A-Rod

finnin will backup/challenge for LT

pensick was great against UgA's huge NT and Pelini, although undersized, is just fine as a backup. Key is developing the next guy there. not sure why anyone's worried at that position at all.

IMO, Sirles is the best OT on roster, so no worry at RT as long as he stays on the field over A-Rod

In all honesty that concerns me.

in 2010 sirles started at left tackle ahead of yoshi hardrick (incoming juco) as a redshirt freshman. not many options at the time. in 2011 yoshi was in better shape and had a better understanding of the system and started over sirles. qvale battled injuries and a staff that didnt realize that he and rodriquez were not guards...in this offense. however last year sirles was moved to the right side and qvale moved into the top spot ahead of the out going moore. if sirles was the best guy, why would the coaches move a player away from the vital blindside after playing their for 2 years? he obviously is still the swing tackle but it seems Qvale has matched sirles block for block vs opponents top pass rushers coming form the blind side, along with not playing along side spencer long.. neither man is a great LT, and both seem to be better fits on the right. i just have not seen anything from sirles to think that he has outplayed qvale..

in 2010 sirles started at left tackle ahead of yoshi hardrick (incoming juco) as a redshirt freshman. not many options at the time. in 2011 yoshi was in better shape and had a better understanding of the system and started over sirles. qvale battled injuries and a staff that didnt realize that he and rodriquez were not guards...in this offense. however last year sirles was moved to the right side and qvale moved into the top spot ahead of the out going moore. if sirles was the best guy, why would the coaches move a player away from the vital blindside after playing their for 2 years? he obviously is still the swing tackle but it seems Qvale has matched sirles block for block vs opponents top pass rushers coming form the blind side, along with not playing along side spencer long.. neither man is a great LT, and both seem to be better fits on the right. i just have not seen anything from sirles to think that he has outplayed qvale..

because guys develop at different rates and we changed offenses, eliminating the tall, thick dancing bear type OG's in favor of more mobile G's that can get out on the perimeter in run blocking. Qvale and A-Rod were brought in as OG's for the bastardized Watsfense, but are more suited to OT in Beck's offense.

Have you seen anything that Qvale has outplayed Sirles either? Sirles/Qvale are close...not a lot of separation, IMO. Neither is a prototype LT, but we do not have one...yet. Sirles was the swing, so he likely is a bit more versatile in that respect. If Qvale went down, Sirles would be the LT. Rather than swap both of them for their last year, doesn't it make more sense to leave Qvale at LT and groom Finnin to take over, while Sirles locks down the right side next to Long and plugs a gaping hole by leaving A-Rod on the pine? If Finnin doesn't integrate immediately, you have Sirles who is capable of spelling Qvale at LT w/o dropoff and Sterup catching up...hopefully he will overtake A-Rod in fall camp at RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back