• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#16 and #22

I agree with you main point. I'm not sure distance from home make a huge difference, but the amount of time cold weather teams spend on the field scrimmaging (ie. practicing at game speed, seeing live pitching on a real mound, situational pressure, etc.) in preparation for the season is/can be minuscule when compared to warm weather schools. I think that makes a big difference in the early season. Huskers had what, 1 scrimmage before the season started?
Regarding the crowds... I attended the last 4 games. Way more husker fans than Utah fans. Probably more husker fans than OSU fans.
IMO this team will "get it together" as the season progresses. I see signs of life.

On a slightly unrelated note...Oregon State can flat out hit. I think they will be among the best we face this season. Unfortunately we might see some of the others in Texas this weekend. So Basil, I'm not so sure we will know who we really are after this weekend either. It would be nice to play those 3 teams in mid-April and see how it goes.

Agree this upcoming weekend is agains some stud teams.

My point is that it is not unusal in my experience to have a completely different team following the first weekend.

Actually, when we play in neutral venues in California and Arizona early-season, there tends to be more Husker fans there than fans from the opposing teams.
That is not the point at all. Perhaps you think traveling and living out of hotels for long stretches should not affect ball players, but they do.

Last edited:
That is not the point at all. Perhaps you think traveling and living out of hotels for long stretches should not affect ball players, but they do.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for D-1 players and travel. They fly nearly everywhere they go. They eat like kings on the road, and the get a per diem. They stay at nice hotels, 2 to a room.

D1 baseball travels even better than the minor leagues.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for D-1 players and travel. They fly nearly everywhere they go. They eat like kings on the road, and the get a per diem. They stay at nice hotels, 2 to a room.

D1 baseball travels even better than the minor leagues.

Agree that D1 baseball players are treated well on the road and better than the lower levels of minor leagues. Two per room is not always true. I talked to a few of the husker players in Arizona. They were 3 per room and joking about having to share a bed.

I know that's not really your point, just found it interesting.

Agree that D1 baseball players are treated well on the road and better than the lower levels of minor leagues. Two per room is not always true. I talked to a few of the husker players in Arizona. They were 3 per room and joking about having to share a bed.

I know that's not really your point, just found it interesting.

Interesting that they went 3 to a room. That is the first I have heard of that happening. Was it the whole team that had to go 3 to a room, or just freshmen?

DII ball goes 4 to a room. Four dudes between 6' and 6'3", all weighing between 200-240 sharing two queen beds for three days? Awesome. And it is usually in some dump hotel

None that I talked to were freshmen. Said they would go back to 2 per room for conference games. Athletic Department must be running low on funds. :Sarcasm:

Shut out against Okie State tonight 1-0. Pitching was outstanding. Huskers got two singles, one was an infield single. Now I know the OSU pitcher was highly regarded coming into the season but he had a 10.00 ERA entering tonight.

:Bananalazy:

Every team last weekend in Arizona traveled and lived out of hotels. In fact, the distance from Corvallis to Tempe is about the same as the distance from Lincoln to Tempe. Regardless of distance, all players from all teams traveled out-of-state and stayed in hotels. Fact is, if you are a college baseball player, you've likely been traveling and staying in hotels on a frequent basis as a part of the sport since high school.

And if travel is negatively impacting our college kids at the start of the season, in February, we've got more problems than just baseball.

Fact is, if you are a college baseball player, you've likely been traveling and staying in hotels on a frequent basis as a part of the sport since high school.

And if travel is negatively impacting our college kids at the start of the season, in February, we've got more problems than just baseball.

Brother, could I tell some stories.

Agree with ***. I tell my wife every year to ignore the MLB standings until June 1st. The early number doesn't mean a lot. With college teams, I'd wait until the end of March.

Bad teams sometimes get off to a hot start and fade badly as the season wears on.

Last edited:
Agree with ***. I tell my wife every year to ignore the MLB standings until June 1st. The early number doesn't mean a lot. With college teams, I'd wait until the end of March.

Bad teams sometimes get off to a hot start and fade badly as the season wears on.

And nobody can say you'll be wrong concerning the Huskers this season.

My concern is simply ... this is Erstad's 6th season ... and in all this time, he has yet to show his teams can compete with top teams. Maybe that's just what Nebraska baseball is supposed to do. There is no doubt we were spoiled under DVH. And I would never expect a repeat of that. But I do expect more than what we've seen for about a decade now.

NU is 5-13 versus ranked teams dating back to last season.

We've appeared twice in the NCAA Tournament under Erstad. 1-4 in those games. Never advancing past a regional.

NU has yet to win a Big Ten tournament championship or regular season title with Erstad at the helm. To me, that's the most disappointing. The Big Ten -- at it's best -- is a mediocre baseball conference. And there is no doubt Nebraska has the best combination of facilities and fan support in the entire conference. Football and basketball is another story. But baseball, we absolutely should win the conference at least three times per decade. Maybe this season.

The 2017 NU baseball team was likely the most highly-touted under Erstad in the preseason. And we've flopped out of the gates. Yes, the competition has been high-quality. But yes, we have shown we don't belong. Certainly, we can pad a bunch of wins as this month of March progresses. After today, there isn't a single team on our schedule for the rest of the month with a high-ranking RPI than Nebraska currently.

I guess I need more convincing the start of this season isn't a continuation of a long-term trend rather than an anomaly. But it's hard not to feel we are a long ways from being a ranked team, capable of making some noise in the post-season. It seems so rare when NU can put together a complete game of pitching, hitting, and defense against teams with more than a faint pulse.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back