• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 12 team playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the playoffs will expand drastically and quickly.

Could you imagine next year if no SEC team gets in the playoffs with a 4 team bracket? ESPN would have their heads explode. They would call for an expanded playoff right then and there.

Once they see the money involved with it, it will expand. I doubt it stays at 4 past 2 years.

If you say so.

Didn't you say everyone else lost their opportunity when they lost a game? Why is a 2 team playoff okay in your eyes but not an 8 team playoff? Why should Auburn get a shot at the title when they lost a game during the season and FSU went undefeated? Its like the regular season means nothing.

Didn't you say everyone else lost their opportunity when they lost a game? Why is a 2 team playoff okay in your eyes but not an 8 team playoff? Why should Auburn get a shot at the title when they lost a game during the season and FSU went undefeated? Its like the regular season means nothing.

I think you're building quite the straw man. I'll let you think about where you've gone wrong in your assumptions.

Who cares? Its great football.
This. A playoff probably isn't the best way to determine a champion (though I think it's better than the BCS), a round robin style system is probably the best way. However, tournament style sports are incredibly fun, and I don't buy the every week is a playoff argument from the traditionalist crowd. A play off/tournament is pretty clear cut on when you're out or in. Not the case with the college football regular season, I really would have thought 2 loss LSU would be out but that wasn't the case.

Point being, the games in the OP look fun. I'd love that.

No. They had 12 chances like everyone else, and they blew it twice. How many opportunities should they get?

This was your position. If Clemson blew their opportunity twice, every team other than FSU has blown their chance already.

You said that Clemson had 12 chances and blew it twice. Didn't Auburn blow it once as well?

You asked me why a 2 team playoff is ok in my eyes. I never said it was.

As far as losses during the season, don't you think a line should be drawn somewhere? Or should we make sure no one's feelings are hurt and include every team that lost two games or less? Maybe three games or less, just to make sure no one is sad? Why not just have a 64 team playoff?

This. A playoff probably isn't the best way to determine a champion (though I think it's better than the BCS), a round robin style system is probably the best way. However, tournament style sports are incredibly fun, and I don't buy the every week is a playoff argument from the traditionalist crowd. A play off/tournament is pretty clear cut on when you're out or in. Not the case with the college football regular season, I really would have thought 2 loss LSU would be out but that wasn't the case.

Point being, the games in the OP look fun. I'd love that.

Exactly. The opportunity to see Nebraska play multiple games at the end of the year is nice as well.

You asked me why a 2 team playoff is ok in my eyes. I never said it was.

As far as losses during the season, don't you think a line should be drawn somewhere? Or should we make sure no one's feelings are hurt and include every team that lost two games or less? Maybe three games or less, just to make sure no one is sad? Why not just have a 64 team playoff?

When I assumed you were saying that FSU should be crowned champion now since they are the only team without a loss you replied "if you say so". Do you even have a position?

This was your position. If Clemson blew their opportunity twice, every team other than FSU has blown their chance already.

Even with one loss, Clemson still had a shot. By the time loss #2 came around, it was pretty clear that they weren't very deserving.

How many chances should a team get? Why not let some 3 or 4 loss teams in?

Even with one loss, Clemson still had a shot. By the time loss #2 came around, it was pretty clear that they weren't very deserving.

How many chances should a team get? Why not let some 3 or 4 loss teams in?

So FSU should be crowned champion???:confused:

When I assumed you were saying that FSU should be crowned champion now since they are the only team without a loss you replied "if you say so". Do you even have a position?

Yes. My position is that I don't find playoffs to be any more effective than a bowl system at determining a season champion. I don't care for giving extra opportunities to a bunch of teams who couldn't get it done during the regular season. A system that determines the top two teams by taking the input of hundreds of people, combined with thousands of calculations, and studied over the course of several months is good enough.

I'd rather just have the old bowl system back. We'd probably see a variety of games that could impact who ends up #1 if we still had the old bowl tie-ins.

So FSU should be crowned champion???:confused:

Where do you draw the line when determining teams that are worthy to be called "champion?" I draw the line much closer to the top because I prefer my champion to be elite throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back