• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 12 team playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
If an expanded playoff is inevitable, I've been refining and tracking a potential format. Major intention is to keep the regular season as relevant as possible by providing 3 'tiers' of teams with benefits to being in each tier. Top 4 teams get a bye and second round home game; next 4 get first round home games. An additional benefit of the on campus home games is reduced travel for most players and fans. Semifinals and Finals to be played at rotating bowl sites as has actually been implemented for next season.

For bracketing, I did move around seeds 9-12 to avoid early rematches.

Since I’d be commissioner; I get to choose dates – going with a bit of a short turnaround for the second round to get the Championship game on January 1[SUP]st[/SUP] for tradition sake. More likely, in real life, the four rounds would be the next four Saturdays.

Semifinals on December 26 (rotated among Bowl sites).
Second round on December 21.
Opening round this coming weekend, December 14.

Bracket:

#10 Oregon at #8 Missouri (Dec. 14)
- Winner at #1 Florida State (Dec. 21)

#9 South Carolina at #5 Stanford (Dec. 14)
- Winner at #4 Michigan State (Dec. 21)

#12 Clemson at #6 Baylor (Dec. 14)
- Winner at #3 Alabama (Dec. 21)

#11 Oklahoma at #7 Ohio State (Dec. 14)
- Winner at #2 Auburn (Dec. 21).

As opposed to a potential 16 team playoff, this format would have resulted in quite a few critically important games last weekend and there were similar impacts the week prior. Examples for this past weekend:
Michigan State over Ohio State – moves Michigan State from a first round road game to a first round bye & second round home game.
Oklahoma over Oklahoma State – Sooners take the Ok State playoff spot
Baylor over Texas – gives Baylor a first round home game instead of starting on the road
Stanford over Arizona State – Arizona State drops out of top 12 and gives their spot to Clemson.​

tis the season again for the playoff threads. :)

Actually BG,. I'm a proponent and the games above would all be interesting to watch.

Nah, all of those games would be horrible to watch and would ruin college football.

Much better to fill in the rest of December with meaningless bowl games. [/sarcasm]

Actually BG,. I'm a proponent and the games above would all be interesting to watch.

Exactly right. Its much less about crowning a champion to me as it is seeing great matchups with something on the line.

I don't think many of those teams deserve even a sniff at a national championship at this point.

I don't think many of those teams deserve even a sniff at a national championship at this point.

What if #12 Clemson ran the table and beat #6 Baylor (on the road), #3 Alabama (on the road), #12 Auburn (neutral), and #1 FSU...might they be worthy at that point?

How many of the 68 NCAA basketball teams deserve a sniff at the basketball championship?

Frankly, I don't mind the current format; it makes every weekend of the season a 'playoff'. Just think if Stanford would not have lost to Utah back in early October? Would they be the best 1 loss team and be ranked above Auburn? The only loss would have been a 3 point loss at USC and they'd have 9 wins over bowl teams.

Nebraska has stated that it must have 7 home games to keep the athletic department afloat. I assume most schools are in the same boat. So we (pick a school) play 7 home games and 6 away now you add in a playoff. So how many games could a team play? Is it possible. Point is since the D1 programs are about money I just don't see a playoff, more than what happens next year, happening.

What if #12 Clemson ran the table and beat #6 Baylor (on the road), #3 Alabama (on the road), #12 Auburn (neutral), and #1 FSU...might they be worthy at that point?

No. They had 12 chances like everyone else, and they blew it twice. How many opportunities should they get?

How many of the 68 NCAA basketball teams deserve a sniff at the basketball championship?

Frankly, I don't mind the current format; it makes every weekend of the season a 'playoff'. Just think if Stanford would not have lost to Utah back in early October? Would they be the best 1 loss team and be ranked above Auburn? The only loss would have been a 3 point loss at USC and they'd have 9 wins over bowl teams.

Not many.

Nebraska has stated that it must have 7 home games to keep the athletic department afloat. I assume most schools are in the same boat. So we (pick a school) play 7 home games and 6 away now you add in a playoff. So how many games could a team play? Is it possible. Point is since the D1 programs are about money I just don't see a playoff, more than what happens next year, happening.

It will expand to 8 teams very soon, and probably to 16-ish within the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back