• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

12', 7", 430lb Center Jordy Tshimanga signs with Nebraska.

hope he comes to NU. that being said, (here comes Debbie Downer :) ) I've watched numerous highlight vids of Jordy and have yet to see something that made me say "wow." sure, he's big. he's definitely got good back to the basket footwork and post moves. He'd be a definite upgrade over Hammond, thats for sure. but "athleticism" is not a word i'd use to describe him. Even in warmups, his dunks are just squeaking over the rim. He's barely getting off the ground....at 6ft 10, his elbow should be hitting the rim easy. I'm not expecting Blake Griffin to walk through the door and I realize NU isn't going to be the destination for those elite types. So while he'd be a great get for NU, he is going to need some work and thats what concerns me about Miles. When it comes to big man development, I'm nervous, to say the least. There was enough improvement over the last half of the season with Jacobsen to give me some hope, but up to that point, the flameouts NU has had with big men in need of development during the Miles era challenges my faith.
To be fair, Myles hasn't really had a big man to develop at NU.

My excitement about Jordy is based on the bolded in your post. With what Coach Hunter was able to do with Jacobsen, I believe he can mold Tshimanga similarly. Big guys don't get a lot of the position coaching in high school. This is due to a couple things, not a lot of guys with this size, and not a lot of coaches that know how to develop the footwork and post moves. Especially in today's age of guard dominated play. If he gives the effort, he will help on defense which is where this squad could use some help. If he is able to contribute, Jacobsen and Morrow can play more of the 4 which matches them with guys of similar size.
hope he comes to NU. that being said, (here comes Debbie Downer :) ) I've watched numerous highlight vids of Jordy and have yet to see something that made me say "wow." sure, he's big. he's definitely got good back to the basket footwork and post moves. He'd be a definite upgrade over Hammond, thats for sure. but "athleticism" is not a word i'd use to describe him. Even in warmups, his dunks are just squeaking over the rim. He's barely getting off the ground....at 6ft 10, his elbow should be hitting the rim easy. I'm not expecting Blake Griffin to walk through the door and I realize NU isn't going to be the destination for those elite types. So while he'd be a great get for NU, he is going to need some work and thats what concerns me about Miles. When it comes to big man development, I'm nervous, to say the least. There was enough improvement over the last half of the season with Jacobsen to give me some hope, but up to that point, the flameouts NU has had with big men in need of development during the Miles era challenges my faith.

My excitement about Jordy is based on the bolded in your post. With what Coach Hunter was able to do with Jacobsen, I believe he can mold Tshimanga similarly. Big guys don't get a lot of the position coaching in high school. This is due to a couple things, not a lot of guys with this size, and not a lot of coaches that know how to develop the footwork and post moves. Especially in today's age of guard dominated play. If he gives the effort, he will help on defense which is where this squad could use some help. If he is able to contribute, Jacobsen and Morrow can play more of the 4 which matches them with guys of similar size.

i hope you are right. and i also hope that the coaching staff is smart enough to not rush it with him. I don't want to see him out there starting the first game of the year like Hammond did last year, just because he's the tallest guy on the roster. I realize things were a bit different last year with Hammond, and that was probably less about him earning the starting role and more about trying to ease in Jacobsen and Morrow. I just remember watching those first 3 games and thinking...."my goodness, Hammond has no business being out there."

ummm....well how about Hammond for starters, and Moses before him. Then I direct your attention to any number of European stick figures that were given scholarships to come here as "big men."

hammond is no longer with us....moses didn't part the sea enough and wasn't even a true 5 (more like a 4)....Sergei (from serbia) is no longer with us and was a dud (only lasted 2 seasons).... Jordy is a true 5 and actually is 6'11" and a solid body...he will only get better with our S/C and nutrition program not to mention good coaching...definitely has lots of untapped potential that should blossom at DONU. c'est la vie! bienvenue!

Last edited:
ummm....well how about Hammond for starters, and Moses before him. Then I direct your attention to any number of European stick figures that were given scholarships to come here as "big men."

Moses Abraham was a graduate transfer which means you know what you are getting and aren't going to get any more. Nobody was going to turn that guy into a scorer...especially not in one season.

To dis the staff on not developing him is being hyper-critical imo.

hammond is no longer with us....moses didn't part the sea enough and wasn't even a true 5 (more like a 4)....Sergei (from serbia) is no longer with us and was a dud (only lasted 2 seasons).... Jordy is a true 5 and actually is 6'11" and a solid body...he will only get better with our S/C and nutrition program not to mention good coaching...definitely has lots of untapped potential that should blossom at DONU. c'est la vie! bienvenue!

i understand that none of these guys is no longer with us. outside of Moses, thats the entire point. the head coach is still responsible for picking all these duds. i don't have a problem with moses.....when a guy like that comes along to you take him. we had nothing to lose. it would have been nice to see some improvement from him over the course of a year, but it was what it was. my entire point is that i have very little faith in Miles ability to develop big men. in fact, i have even less faith in his ability to evaluate and pick them. thus the reason i brought up all the big men that he brought in previous. it seems a bit silly to say that miles hasn't had a big man to develop while ignoring the fact that he's the one responsible for choosing which big men come to campus. hopefully, with this new addition of Jordy (or at least this commitment, which appears solid and I would expect to hold true to signing day) NU's big men misfortunes will change.

Moses Abraham was a graduate transfer which means you know what you are getting and aren't going to get any more. Nobody was going to turn that guy into a scorer...especially not in one season.

To dis the staff on not developing him is being hyper-critical imo.

fair enough

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back