• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

XFL Coming Back

There isn't much better than the NCAA tournament. Imo, the first 2 days are some of the best sports of the year.
Nothing better than Madness in Vegas...been doing it for 20 years with college buddies for most of the trips. Doing 2nd weekend this year (1st weekend has become too much of a zoo). Great way to catch up with old friends scattered around the country.

Last edited:
The XFL wasn't great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some critics have made it out to be. As with any new endeavor, there were lessons learned that can be applied in the future.

Maybe they should consider making it a true farm system for the NFL?
Is there such a thing as too much football?

Would love a farm system type league.

There's sort of one already.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/f...heads-austin-for-2018/nrFredE7NzNlmxmVJ4JS0M/

Austin will experience a taste of pro football in 2018.

Brian Woods, founder and CEO of the Spring League, told the American-Statesman on Thursday he is bringing his free-agent showcase to town for a three-week run in late March and April.

Think of the Spring League as part extended NFL combine, part NBA G-League. Approximately 150 pro football hopefuls will be divided into four teams, practice daily and play games on weekends. A site, or sites, for practices and games should be announced within the next week.

The NFL circulated a memo to its 32 teams that Austin will be the 2018 Spring League host. Until the league surfaced last March, the NFL hadn’t had a developmental league since 2007 when NFL Europe folded.

The inaugural Spring League helped launch more than a dozen players into NFL or Canadian Football League camps

There's sort of one already.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/f...heads-austin-for-2018/nrFredE7NzNlmxmVJ4JS0M/

Austin will experience a taste of pro football in 2018.

Brian Woods, founder and CEO of the Spring League, told the American-Statesman on Thursday he is bringing his free-agent showcase to town for a three-week run in late March and April.

Think of the Spring League as part extended NFL combine, part NBA G-League. Approximately 150 pro football hopefuls will be divided into four teams, practice daily and play games on weekends. A site, or sites, for practices and games should be announced within the next week.

The NFL circulated a memo to its 32 teams that Austin will be the 2018 Spring League host. Until the league surfaced last March, the NFL hadn’t had a developmental league since 2007 when NFL Europe folded.

The inaugural Spring League helped launch more than a dozen players into NFL or Canadian Football League camps

Wait a minute? NFL Europe was still around in 2007?

So I am actually excited about this. The first go around, NBC forced too much of McMahon's ideas out of the picture and wanted it to be a lot more like the WWE because of the popularity. Unfortunately, for a long time now, NBC can not seem to get it straight with the programming and broadcast stuff.

With McMahon owning the whole thing and being able to call all the shots and "own" all the teams (which if he is smart he will rethink and have others own the actual team and "franchise" this), he can make this go the way he wanted. He is a very much a genius at sports entertainment marketing, and makes mistakes like everyone else. He just seems to be able to learn really quickly from those mistakes, and learn even more from his successes. So will be interesting to see what he does in the next two years as he is ramping up this thing.

Didn't it become essentially NFL Germany at that point. They still seem to hold a love of the game...

http://www.gfl.info

I don't mind the ads on the uniforms.

Clicking that link, I found it interesting that some things apparently don’t translate to German, or are the same as their English counterpart.

Zum Beispiel Sack-leader und Head Coach.

Last edited:
Um, business owners who are paying their employees have the right to control how those players behave while representing the company. Thats not facism bud, thats reality.
Do you believe the business owner could also rightfully force the players to wear signs promoting the owners political agenda? Maybe a hat that said "keep abortion safe and legal"? Would that also be within his rights? How far can it go? Obviously the same question could be asked in the other direction as well.

Do you believe the business owner could also rightfully force the players to wear signs promoting the owners political agenda? Maybe a hat that said "keep abortion safe and legal"? Would that also be within his rights? How far can it go? Obviously the same question could be asked in the other direction as well.

If it's related to the business and not considered hate speech, then yes.

For example, if the people in this example worked in an abortion clinic, there's a bit of implied consent that they're okay with abortion on some level. If they worked for a construction company, than no, there is not a compelling business reason for their employer to care about an issue like abortion.

If you don't like it, go find another employer. That's generally how a free market economy works.

If it's related to the business and not considered hate speech, then yes.

For example, if the people in this example worked in an abortion clinic, there's a bit of implied consent that they're okay with abortion on some level. If they worked for a construction company, than no, there is not a compelling business reason for their employer to care about an issue like abortion.

If you don't like it, go find another employer. That's generally how a free market economy works.
So then it would be okay if the owner forced all players to kneel even though some wouldn't want to? Sounds like bs to me.

Like the NBA? They require their players to stand for the anthem.

The NFL seems to be the only profession in America where employees can express their disrespect of the USA while on the job (outside of the MSM and the democratic party that is). The first amendment doesnt guarantee your right to protest on your boss' dime.
How do you get to decide what is and what is not, disrespectful? Have you walked a mile in some of these guy's shoes?

People need to realize the NFL was around LONG before television ratings mattered (or even existed for that matter) and this crap is being created for the sole purpose of television and ratings. Everyone I've spoken to who likes the idea are friends of mine who are major Trumpsters who have/had huge issues with NFL players taking a knee. I suspect the target audience for this "league" won't include Kaepernick supporters...

I give it a year, maybe two tops.

Freedom of speech isn't a freedom?:Confused:

It's one of many, I suppose. I took your comment as a blanket statement, my apologies.

In other words, as someone else mentioned, the players can leave if they want, but if they stay they will find it difficult to exercise their freedom of speech "on the boss' dime" as was mentioned.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back