• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

XFL Coming Back

The 30 for 30 documentary about it was great to watch. It at least sounds like they learned from their mistakes from last time. More emphasis on substance, less on "style."

The fact that McMahon said WWE will not be part of the new XFL already gives it a boost over the previous version. I get why there was an urge to saturate the original XFL with WWE, because WWE was at its zenith at that time, but in the end, people didn't want wrestlers at midfield spouting off their catchphrases before the game.

Also, the original version needed network TV (NBC) to sign on for distribution, and from the 30 for 30, it was obvious that network TV and the XFL couldn't coexist. Now, there isn't a need for network TV. Latch on and become a cornerstone product for one of the streaming services. Also, I liked his idea of trying trimming games to 2 hours. Eliminating halftimes won't help that much (NFL halftimes are just 12 minutes long). This lends itself to streaming games, since those platforms don't rely on commercials.

You lost me after no sexy cheerleaders!

This was one of the few parts where I think he was holding back. He knows he can't come out and say we're going to exploit women, like he did in the previous version. Cheerleaders are part of the game day atmosphere. As long as he doesn't create a storyline about going into the cheerleader locker room at halftime, there's no reason not to have them.

Like the NBA? They require their players to stand for the anthem.

The NFL seems to be the only profession in America where employees can express their disrespect of the USA while on the job (outside of the MSM and the democratic party that is). The first amendment doesnt guarantee your right to protest on your boss' dime.
A lot of assumptions you are making. Pretty much nobody was demonstrating against the USA. But if they were, isn't that what freedom is?

I will take the freedom to do stupid things that don't really affect others beyond their 'feels' over fascist do it or else mantras every time.

Last edited:
You lost me after no sexy cheerleaders!

Well, that's not entirely true. She's gonna be one.

images

I am ok with it since I'm in support of other 11v11 pro leagues. Will I watch...not sure...I don't recall watching much USFL or XFL, but I am ok with the idea. I have wanted all the various ones in the past to succeed at some level.

Read that the hope is to make the games @ 2 hours. I could definitely go for that.

Doesn't matter much to me, I don't watch the NFL probably won't watch this one either, but any chance someone gets to continue to play the game they love can't be all bad.

yep, me too. Completely different rules, cheerleaders, entertainments (i.e. marching bands) and fans (CFB vs. NFL). However I briefly watched 2017 NFL playoff games.

Couldn't they gain an advantage if they let players come straight from HS? IF they do, and those guys are making pretty good jack, could shrink the college talent pool. What 18 year old (obviously, if you're good enough) wouldn't want to make 250k+ right out of HS? Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and a few others wouldn't probably have all the elite players, they'd go play for money for 3 years.

Last edited:
Couldn't they gain an advantage if they let players come straight from HS? IF they do, and those guys are making pretty good jack, could shrink the college talent pool. What 18 year old (obviously, if you're good enough) wouldn't want to make 250k+ right out of HS? Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and a few others wouldn't probably have all the elite players, they'd go play for money for 3 years.

That actually could bode well for a certain school that leads the nation in Academic All Americans. :dropmic:

All those big, dumb, fast kids who get free SUVs at Alabama might suddenly be off the table. Saban, among others, would have to actually recruit kids who want to get a degree.

That actually could bode well for a certain school that leads the nation in Academic All Americans. :dropmic:

All those big, dumb, fast kids who get free SUVs at Alabama might suddenly be off the table. Saban, among others, would have to actually recruit kids who want to get a degree.
I don't know, then, they might get the best 3* and 4* remaining players to go there. Something to see for sure.

Agreed. A buddy of mine, UNL undergrad and law school grad,and me have discussed this concept in general for over 20 years. Pay for each players college education while playing in this league or after playing days were over, whether it be an online degree from a reputable online program (avoiding degree mills) or choosing the traditional college route or a trade school...whatever suits them best...on top of the negotiated salary to play. Play games on Thursdays kicking off the football weekend...avoiding conflict with Friday HS games...Saturday CFB...and Sunday NFL. Lease NFL stadiums for games. Would need serious $$$ to get off the ground but definitely doable if done right.

Last edited:

This what I'm most interested in seeing from this league. McMahon is bold enough to try this. A lot will probably depend on how contracts are set up, the level of professional athletic training and medical staff assistance these teams will have, and how high salaries can go. Not to mention the level of coaching. He did say the XFL will be a single-entity organization, so the league will control the teams. That means no bidding wars for top talent.

I could see 4* and 5* kids struggling to meet NCAA academic requirements forgoing JUCO and playing in the XFL, but unless we're talking about a healthy six-figure salary right out of the gate ($250,000+), most that don't have academic issues will probably be better served going to blue blood programs. However, a truly exceptional freshman could leave after one season to make money. One season of success in CFB will make someone more marketable than just coming out of HS. Start collecting those endorsement checks. I think the kids leaving after 1-2 years of CFB will be a bigger factor.

A lot of assumptions you are making. Pretty much nobody was demonstrating against the USA. But if they were, isn't that what freedom is?

I will take the freedom to do stupid things that don't really affect others beyond their 'feels' over fascist do it or else mantras every time.
Um, business owners who are paying their employees have the right to control how those players behave while representing the company. Thats not facism bud, thats reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back