• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why Nebraska’s Tommy Armstrong Jr. is out to prove to NFL scouts that he’s ‘more than just a quarter

I agree that a team needs to work in tandem, that goes without saying. However, the QB position is THE most important on the team simply for the fact that he touches the ball every play. If he is ineffective that plays a larger role than at other positions.
If you're asking the quarterback to do too much, he becomes more important. If you play well as a team, he is less important. Knowing, understanding, and managing a team's strengths and weaknesses are the hallmarks of good coaching.

If you're asking the quarterback to do too much, he becomes more important. If you play well as a team, he is less important. Knowing, understanding, and managing a team's strengths and weaknesses are the hallmarks of good coaching.

In the case of the Huskers, no one was asking TA to do too much; he just couldn't do what they were asking. See the difference? I'll take a QB who is too important over one who isn't any day of the week. Bill Belichick endorses this message.

Regardless of what you're "asking him to do" he's ALWAYS going to be the most important person on the field. He's the field general, the person responsible for get your team in the right plays based on the defense and then being able to distribute the ball appropriately. Nothing changes this. Yes, the more talent you have around you the more you can mask poor QB play. But I would say, it's easier to mask poor play elsewhere with great QB play than it is to mask poor QB play with better talent elsewhere.

Then if either of our qb's this year don't do great it is the coach's fault for not managing the team right.not the players. Is that what you are saying? Just wonder when the player has to take accountability?

Regardless of what you're "asking him to do" he's ALWAYS going to be the most important person on the field. He's the field general, the person responsible for get your team in the right plays based on the defense and then being able to distribute the ball appropriately. Nothing changes this. Yes, the more talent you have around you the more you can mask poor QB play. But I would say, it's easier to mask poor play elsewhere with great QB play than it is to mask poor QB play with better talent elsewhere.

Amen

Then if either of our qb's this year don't do great it is the coach's fault for not managing the team right.not the players. Is that what you are saying? Just wonder when the player has to take accountability?
Yes, and that's true of any coach. There are certain things that are more on the player than the coach (fumbles, for example), but the overall performance of the team and its players is the responsibility of the coaching staff. That's why coaches either get a lot of money or get fired.

Yes, and that's true of any coach. There are certain things that are more on the player than the coach (fumbles, for example), but the overall performance of the team and its players is the responsibility of the coaching staff. That's why coaches either get a lot of money or get fired.

So what do you think about the coaching staff changes that were made this offseason? Any optimism or just another piss filled bowl of Post Toasties?

So what do you think about the coaching staff changes that were made this offseason? Any optimism or just another piss filled bowl of Post Toasties?
I hope the changes work out. I'm encouraged that changes were made, but concerned that nearly half of the staff had to be dumped in just two seasons. Expecting these guys to be upgrades, hoping it's the right mix, and looking forward to seeing the results in the fall.

I hope the changes work out. I'm encouraged that changes were made, but concerned that nearly half of the staff had to be dumped in just two seasons. Expecting these guys to be upgrades, hoping it's the right mix, and looking forward to seeing the results in the fall.

How do you think most coaches in Riley's shoes would have assembled their staff given the short time frame in which he was hired and and how it related to salvaging the recruiting class? As it was only a little more than half of the original staff were "his guys" and I'm assuming most coaches in his position would have done the same thing. Everyone should be encouraged that Riley gave his guys a chance to see what they could do with improved resources and had the cajones to whack the dead weight once it was apparent they weren't going to cut it. All of them were long term relationships except Hughes; put yourself in Riley's shoes and ask how easy that would be to do if those were your long term cohorts. I'm glad I didn't have to make those decisions.

Last edited:
Agree on some of your points, but I think what I am trying to state is the coach's can only manage, teach and coach the players up to a certain extent,, then the players have to take responsibility, and BUY IN, and that is extremely important! I think we're getting close in that regard, but if you expect this new staff to come in and change the CULTURE and DEPTH in only 2 yrs. you are not being a realist. GBR!!!

Agree on some of your points, but I think what I am trying to state is the coach's can only manage, teach and coach the players up to a certain extent,, then the players have to take responsibility, and BUY IN, and that is extremely important! I think we're getting close in that regard, but if you expect this new staff to come in and change the CULTURE and DEPTH in only 2 yrs. you are not being a realist. GBR!!!
The amount of time overall is irrelevant. The question you have to ask after every season is were we better than the year before? If the answer is yes that is good. If the answer is about the same then you start looking at why. If the answer is we were worse then hard decisions need to be made. Each season should be looked at in comparison to the previous season. We were better this year but not by as much as we hoped. It is always a moving target. I think Bo's last season was his worst season. (No record is not everything when looking at this) Our defense his last year was terrible. Please don't quote stats to me. I just need to look at the Wisky game to see that. He refused to change anything on his D. So he had to go. HCMR had a game or two like that this year and well Banker is now in the welfare line.

The amount of time overall is irrelevant. The question you have to ask after every season is were we better than the year before? If the answer is yes that is good. If the answer is about the same then you start looking at why. If the answer is we were worse then hard decisions need to be made. Each season should be looked at in comparison to the previous season. We were better this year but not by as much as we hoped. It is always a moving target. I think Bo's last season was his worst season. (No record is not everything when looking at this) Our defense his last year was terrible. Please don't quote stats to me. I just need to look at the Wisky game to see that. He refused to change anything on his D. So he had to go. HCMR had a game or two like that this year and well Banker is now in the welfare line.
R u responding to my post?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back