• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale Robinson is a top priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
From his offer list apparently many coaching staffs including ours seem to think he has great potential. And all he is right now is potentially a good football player.

Great stories. One I always wondered about, after watching the 30-for-30 on him, was Marcus Dupree. Were we ever in on him? Does anyone know?
OU had nicer cars for Mom.

If you watched the 30-for-30 on Marcus Dupree, you saw that you had to pony up with something for the family in order to be able to gain access. The OU, SEC, and Texas schools' recruiters have pretty much said that that was how things were done, which was why those schools kept getting caught and place on probation. Some people have said that Nebraska players had cars from a car dealer--which I don't know, one way or the other, but sounds plausible--but I would bet that that would NOT have been a part of the recruiting process. Osborne had a disdain for that sort of thing, and Frost can't hide it either.

I'm sure that Nebraska knew of Marcus Dupree, and I'm sure that they made some sort of outreach, but they wouldn't have gotten past the gatekeepers, and they knew it. Oklahoma and Texas were in a bidding war for him, and I'm sure that some SEC schools ponied up, too.

Andra Franklin's recruitment, on the other hand, is the one that I find most interesting. Does anybody know the details? I assume that my dad either heard it on the radio or read it in the OWH, but supposedly when Franklin chose Nebraska over either Alabama or Auburn (he was from Alabama), his high school coach got fired and possibly his dad, too? I don't remember the details, so I'm hoping someone else does.

From his offer list apparently many coaching staffs including ours seem to think he has great potential. And all he is right now is potentially a good football player.

Again, I think you're reading into what they were saying. If I describe one of my junior high athletes as having a slashing running style, like Terrell Davis or Lawrence Phillips, that doesn't mean that I think that they're the next Terrell Davis or Lawrence Phillips. They seemed to be describing his style of running, and we have to use famous people to compare the style, otherwise we're not communicating at all if we don't have something in common to point at. There is only one Barry Sanders, and there will never be another, but there can be an infinite number of players who run with a start-and-stop, quick change of direction style that we think of when we think of Barry Sanders.

Fwiw, it's the people who are talking about him winning Heisman Trophies (including Wandale) that make me nervous. Nobody remembers Ron Pawlus anymore except that Beano Cook was dumb enough to say that he'd win at least two Heismans. That kind of expectation is a surefire way to suck all of the enjoyment out of watching a kid grow and develop.

Again, I think you're reading into what they were saying. If I describe one of my junior high athletes as having a slashing running style, like Terrell Davis or Lawrence Phillips, that doesn't mean that I think that they're the next Terrell Davis or Lawrence Phillips. They seemed to be describing his style of running, and we have to use famous people to compare the style, otherwise we're not communicating at all if we don't have something in common to point at. There is only one Barry Sanders, and there will never be another, but there can be an infinite number of players who run with a start-and-stop, quick change of direction style that we think of when we think of Barry Sanders.

Fwiw, it's the people who are talking about him winning Heisman Trophies (including Wandale) that make me nervous. Nobody remembers Ron Pawlus anymore except that Beano Cook was dumb enough to say that he'd win at least two Heismans. That kind of expectation is a surefire way to suck all of the enjoyment out of watching a kid grow and develop.
I thought Beano said he'd win 3 or 4? I remember Ron well. And that blonde QB that came after to ND and showed up in a limo on day 1.

I thought Beano said he'd win 3 or 4? I remember Ron well. And that blonde QB that came after to ND and showed up in a limo on day 1.

I was never a fan of Beano Cook, who always seemed to have some sort of erotic attachment to Notre Dame, but this segment from 1993--before Ron Pawlus had even enrolled at Notre Dame--was when I knew that I didn't need to bother myself by even listening to him anymore. How can you be a professional sports journalist and be this delusional? How could other people continue to take him seriously afterward?

I was never a fan of Beano Cook, who always seemed to have some sort of erotic attachment to Notre Dame, but this segment from 1993--before Ron Pawlus had even enrolled at Notre Dame--was when I knew that I didn't need to bother myself by even listening to him anymore. How can you be a professional sports journalist and be this delusional? How could other people continue to take him seriously afterward?

Worst predictions ever along with most of the guys here.

It's all about expectations. So one Heisman and one MNC for ND during that time would have made him a disappointment?

Football is the ultimate team sport, and QB's don't even play half the time (when their team is on defense). So Pawlus may have had all the promise in the world coming out of HS, but he did nothing in college or NFL. A cautionary tale for every recruit who is being pumped up by suitors and fans.

Do they have a meeting where they tell all the incoming freshmen they are poop and aren't entitile to ANYTHING once they are enrolled and getting ready to practice with the full team?

If tere ever was a joke in sports broadcasting, it would be Beano Cook. How he ever gained national notoriety, is beyond belief. What an idiot.

They are the same type players, but Wandale is thicker and stronger. He can break tackles, which also makes him similar to Rondale Moore.

He looks strong enough to play OLB, but I think TW will win the battle for his services.
Does dad have any eligibility left? Dude is JACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. Rondale Moore is as dynamic as Reggie Bush was, and he can squat 600 pounds as well. For his size, Moore's leg power is off the charts. Also, Moore looks like he's faster than Wandale, but I can't be sure.

Nobody can put Wandale in the same league as Moore at this point, but after he plays 5 or 6 games people might start mentioning the two in the same breath. We shall see. They are definitely similar to each other.
You know what Rondale Moore doesn’t have? Zach Duval.

Again, I think people need to temper their enthusiasm for any recruit at this stage regardless of how many stars and how long his offer list.

Again, I think people need to temper their enthusiasm for any recruit at this stage regardless of how many stars and how long his offer list.

We sent 7 coaches to Wandale's house. Is it OK for our coaching staff to be enthusiastic about him?

Recruiting good people is the lifeblood of any organization.

If you are enthusiastic about the possible rise of Husker football back to relevance, then you should be energized about the people we are gathering to make it happen. It will take good people to make it happen....good people all the way from the admin offices to the playing field.

You can't finish last in the recruiting wars and expect to win. We have to win some recruiting battles to win on the field. Landing guys like Wandale Robinson is critical to the Husker football program.

Before you can enjoy this

AR-311269920.jpg

You must have this

th

Bottom Line: Great recruiting and great performance on the field go hand in hand... and people can be enthusiastic about both. A need to temper our enthusiasm about a top recruit has no merit whatsoever.

The guys in this video are enthused about the POTENTIAL of the old jalopy becoming greased lightening. It's OK to get excited about potential, and Wandale has more of it than the average bear.

Yes, Wandale could become systematic, hydromatic, and utlramatic….he could become greased lightening!!!

:Koolaid2:

Warhorse, you can temper your enthusiasm about Rondale Moore if you like, no problem. But if others want to exercise their enthusiasm, you should just let it be. Successful recruiting is essential for our football program and its only natural for fans to be enthusiastic about the recruits....especially the top recruits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back