1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

USMNT vs Trinidad & Tobago (10/10/17) Update: Flooded Pitch

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Red Reign, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Red Reign

Red Reign Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

He is clueless and always has been and needs to go now. His decision making and understanding of the game reminds me of many parents on an AYSO sideline when I coached my daughters team. How he ever got to the top of US Soccer is baffling. Need to clean house on the 15 person board too. They share a ton of the blame too.

2. jikastew

jikastew All Legend 10 Year Member

I've said for some time now, the brand of soccer the USA needs to play is right out of the Costa Rican handbook. That fits our National talent level. Or pack it in and play defense. No one wants the latter, so counter counter counter.

winnerwinner likes this.
  3. winnerwinner

winnerwinner Recruit

this is partly what i was trying to say. no way you can tell me that you cannot field a better midfield than what was out there today. heck, i play against seemingly better folks in my sunday league. maybe i'm just terrible, but i know what i see.

4. Porkchopexpress

Porkchopexpress Scout Team 5 Year Member

You know who's probably a little happy right now (ok probably not really)? Landon Donovan, but only because his goals record won't be broken. No way Dempsey plays another match for the USMNT after this.

5. winnerwinner

winnerwinner Recruit

If the MLS had better players, would the MLS still be the issue? if you develop the coaching in the league then the talent and development in the MLS will take care of itself. MLS coaches just got access to Pro License training in december '16. its hard to develop players and teach them to be able to compete that way.
    its true that the mls is subpar right now. but with better coaching comes better tactical players.

6. Red Reign

Pet peeve its not 'the' MLS but MLS....:)

The issue is not MLS its our system from grass roots up (i.e Pay to play etc.)

winnerwinner likes this.
  7. winnerwinner

winnerwinner Recruit

lol ok MLS.
    i saw that it costs 2500 to 3500 bucks a year to play. that is absolutely INSANE for a sport that only needs some grass, four stones or random items for posts, and a ball. even shoes are optional. no bats, gloves, helmets or pads required, and it costs that much? no wonder they can't get teenagers to play. soccer is the most popular sport specifically because it requires literally nothing but a soft spherical item to play.

8. coherbie

coherbie Varsity 15 Year Member

That sucked... downright surreal.... been in shock for several hours, it was like slow motion agony.

been a rough week of sports for yours truly

9. HuskerWeatherman

HuskerWeatherman Husker Fan 15 Year Member

It's such a devastating loss, it's making non-sports headlines. I listened to a segment discussing in on NPR this morning. USAToday is calling it the single worst loss in the history of American sports.

HuskerNCorpus likes this.
  10. Porkchopexpress

Probably not far off, considering soccer is really the only sport that's played at a National level, outside of the Olympics. I would put the US Basketball team not winning the gold in 2004 right up there as well.

Although last night's loss will be the focus, it's really about a year's worth of sucking that resulted in this mess.

11. Ellis Boyd Redding

Ellis Boyd Redding Travel Squad 2 Year Member

What a sickening night.

For those that follow soccer closer than I, are there positives that can come out of this for the USMT? Will this prompt needed changes?

12. Porkchopexpress

For me, if there is a positive, it's that this is rock bottom, and it's something that US Soccer needed to hit in order to figure it's stuff out. The youth development in this country has always been poor, and used just sheer numbers to find quality players. Now you can start from scratch, and build from the ground up towards something better than what's been in place before.

Also, outside of a couple of guys, this will clean up the lineup and bullpen of National team players. There's no reason for guys like Bradley, Altidore, Gonzalez, Besler, Zusi, Nagbe, Bedoya, ect., to be near the USMNT going forward. Had the US qualified, most of those guys would have been leaned on over the next 4 years, and would have just prolonged the issues the USMNT faces. Now, the focus can be on getting young guys into the mix, and build a cohesive unit going forward. If you look at the available roster in last night's match, only 4 were under the age of 25. The USMNT had gotten way too old. If it were up to me, anyone over the age of 22 (with the exception of Yedlin, Brooks and maybe a keeper) is considered a lost cause for National team duty going forward.

13. HuskerNCorpus

HuskerNCorpus Heisman 10 Year Member

14. Red Reign

Yeah its all Bruce Arena's fault. ;)

No one is buying that...well maybe one or two people are.

Somewhere Jurgen Klinsmans is laughing as he counts his $6.2 M payout.

Gulati needs to go he started this mess back in 2011

Clean house from top to bottom

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM
  15. Red Reign

Talked last night to someone I know who was high up in the Metro Stars and the Fire Organizations. When I get a chance later I will write about in the PM thread because I do not want to put it out here.