• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Trinidad & Tobago (10/10/17) Update: Flooded Pitch

Eek. If it were only that simple. :Rolleyes:

He is clueless and always has been and needs to go now. His decision making and understanding of the game reminds me of many parents on an AYSO sideline when I coached my daughters team. How he ever got to the top of US Soccer is baffling. Need to clean house on the 15 person board too. They share a ton of the blame too.

i don't know if they didn't step up as such. the US went away from what makes it unique. what teams around the world feared about the US was not skill or talent, but fitness and doggedness and organized tenacity and hustle. when the us went away from focusing on that and started trying other things is when they lost. Brazil went away from their flair and lost terribly. germany focused on their efficiency and won a world cup, spain won with their tiki-taka. even italy won with an impenetrable defensive mindset. i feel like i'm talking about husker football, but national teams have to find their uniqueness and use that as a foundation.

the reason why that works is because that is how the youth of all those countries are developed in soccer. i grew up outside the us so i saw this everyday. if you want to have your youth make impact and carry on the torch, you have to be deliberate about finding talents that accentuate that uniqueness in your country. the defense of the team that played today cannot hold a candle to even the folks from the last world cup, not to talk of the guys from years before that. taylor twellman almost made it into the british leagues mostly because of his hustle and just not knowing when to quit.
I've said for some time now, the brand of soccer the USA needs to play is right out of the Costa Rican handbook. That fits our National talent level. Or pack it in and play defense. No one wants the latter, so counter counter counter.

Not if we take it head on it won't. We have change what we do in this country from the grass roots up and I have been saying that for years on here. From pay to play to college players etc. We do not have the best kids getting the opportunities to play the game and have a chance to eventually play for the national team. Under Gulati and yes Kilinsman it got worst. The next group of folks have got to address it and start a whole sale culture change.

Immediate Gulati needs to go

Need to take our time and find the right coach to lead us back.

Rebuild our youth programs at the national team level

Start a concerted effort to change the culture in grass roots football so that its not about pay to play or which college you go to etc. Which means the best kids need to get a shot that they are now.

this is partly what i was trying to say. no way you can tell me that you cannot field a better midfield than what was out there today. heck, i play against seemingly better folks in my sunday league. maybe i'm just terrible, but i know what i see.

You know who's probably a little happy right now (ok probably not really)? Landon Donovan, but only because his goals record won't be broken. No way Dempsey plays another match for the USMNT after this.

OK. There are lots of issues, and playing MLS lifers is one of them.

If the MLS had better players, would the MLS still be the issue? if you develop the coaching in the league then the talent and development in the MLS will take care of itself. MLS coaches just got access to Pro License training in december '16. its hard to develop players and teach them to be able to compete that way.
its true that the mls is subpar right now. but with better coaching comes better tactical players.

If the MLS had better players, would the MLS still be the issue? if you develop the coaching in the league then the talent and development in the MLS will take care of itself. MLS coaches just got access to Pro License training in december '16. its hard to develop players and teach them to be able to compete that way.
its true that the mls is subpar right now. but with better coaching comes better tactical players.

Pet peeve its not 'the' MLS but MLS....:)

The issue is not MLS its our system from grass roots up (i.e Pay to play etc.)

Pet peeve its not 'the' MLS but MLS....:)

The issue is not MLS its our system from grass roots up (i.e Pay to play etc.)

lol ok MLS.
i saw that it costs 2500 to 3500 bucks a year to play. that is absolutely INSANE for a sport that only needs some grass, four stones or random items for posts, and a ball. even shoes are optional. no bats, gloves, helmets or pads required, and it costs that much? no wonder they can't get teenagers to play. soccer is the most popular sport specifically because it requires literally nothing but a soft spherical item to play.

That sucked... downright surreal.... been in shock for several hours, it was like slow motion agony.

been a rough week of sports for yours truly

It's such a devastating loss, it's making non-sports headlines. I listened to a segment discussing in on NPR this morning. USAToday is calling it the single worst loss in the history of American sports.

It's such a devastating loss, it's making non-sports headlines. I listened to a segment discussing in on NPR this morning. USAToday is calling it the single worst loss in the history of American sports.

Probably not far off, considering soccer is really the only sport that's played at a National level, outside of the Olympics. I would put the US Basketball team not winning the gold in 2004 right up there as well.

Although last night's loss will be the focus, it's really about a year's worth of sucking that resulted in this mess.

What a sickening night.

For those that follow soccer closer than I, are there positives that can come out of this for the USMT? Will this prompt needed changes?

What a sickening night.

For those that follow soccer closer than I, are there positives that can come out of this for the USMT? Will this prompt needed changes?

For me, if there is a positive, it's that this is rock bottom, and it's something that US Soccer needed to hit in order to figure it's stuff out. The youth development in this country has always been poor, and used just sheer numbers to find quality players. Now you can start from scratch, and build from the ground up towards something better than what's been in place before.

Also, outside of a couple of guys, this will clean up the lineup and bullpen of National team players. There's no reason for guys like Bradley, Altidore, Gonzalez, Besler, Zusi, Nagbe, Bedoya, ect., to be near the USMNT going forward. Had the US qualified, most of those guys would have been leaned on over the next 4 years, and would have just prolonged the issues the USMNT faces. Now, the focus can be on getting young guys into the mix, and build a cohesive unit going forward. If you look at the available roster in last night's match, only 4 were under the age of 25. The USMNT had gotten way too old. If it were up to me, anyone over the age of 22 (with the exception of Yedlin, Brooks and maybe a keeper) is considered a lost cause for National team duty going forward.

Yeah its all Bruce Arena's fault. ;)

No one is buying that...well maybe one or two people are.

Somewhere Jurgen Klinsmans is laughing as he counts his $6.2 M payout.

Gulati needs to go he started this mess back in 2011

Clean house from top to bottom

Last edited:

Talked last night to someone I know who was high up in the Metro Stars and the Fire Organizations. When I get a chance later I will write about in the PM thread because I do not want to put it out here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back