• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Turner Gill

Congratulations to Turner for putting together a sneaky good coaching career. Some time as an assistant at NU and in the NFL, then successful stints as a HC at Buffalo and Liberty. The two-year stint at KU shouldn't be held against him... that place is a football coaching grave yard.

Any chance he would take an administrative or support staff (non-coaching) position at NU? Not sure if retirement in this case means done coaching or totally done working. Good luck to him regardless.
A failure of nerve taking that KU job... I guess you really have to take those and get the money when they are offered, but I still think if he'd held out he'd have gotten a better opportunity.

Randall jobman?
Randy Jostes... from Ralston, one of the few Nebraska kids who turned down TO. Of course there was always bad blood with Warren Powers who was the Mizzou head coach and thought he should have had the Nebraska job rather than TO.

Last edited:
Or was that Redwine? I remember TG being hurt; the kerfluffel the next summer when his toe moved.

I don't recall the circumstances of his injury.
He got a deep calf or shin bruise against Iowa State. A simple option play IIRC late in the game. His leg swelled killing the nerve. They had to do surgery and it wasn't until March or April that he got movement back in his lower leg. There was always the risk that it would not heal. And I think a lot of people were worried that once we finally got a great QB who could run as well as pass and his career would be over almost before it began.

https://www.huskermax.com/games/1981/10iowastate.html

First, the good news. Nebraska erupted for 24 fourth-quarter points to break a 7-7 tie and down the stubborn Cyclones. The win was the seventh in a row for the Huskers, and combined with Missouri's 19-14 win over Oklahoma the same afternoon, clinched Nebraska's first outright Big Eight title in 10 seasons.

Now, the bad news. At some point in the second half, quarterback Turner Gill received what at first appeared to be a relatively minor leg bruise, but one which later that night caused nerve damage in his leg, forcing him to miss the rest of the season, and at least temporarily called in question his athletic future.

Last edited:

NVM.

Anyone have a clip of the injury? I forget the circumstances.
I looked for a clip - couldn't find one.
Back in the day ... TG was on the PAT/FG teams on the line as an outside protector. The Missouri player feigned a rush and then dove straight at TG's knee while he was blocking.

The "secret" to TO's success was his sincerity and caring and interest in people and the relationships he cultivated.

It allowed him to connect with people.

TG apparently learned the same skill.
TO may have refined it but that kind of thing is ingrained when Mom and Dad raise you. He was a well raised well mannered man from the day he stepped on campus.

I looked for a clip - couldn't find one.
Back in the day ... TG was on the PAT/FG teams on the line as an outside protector. The Missouri player feigned a rush and then dove straight at TG's knee while he was blocking.

No that was definitely Redwine. That's how his knee got injured.

I don't recall TG's mechanism of injury. I do recall he had a foot drop, and so basically couldn't lift his toes/foot up during the swing portion of his gait.

I don't recall it being a dirty hit, maybe it was. I think it was just a shot on his leg.

NU-Mizzou had BAD blood during the period of time under Warren Powers.

My 1st real Husker jersey as a kid was #12 with Gill on the back. Back then, I just thought he was a great player. As I grew up I realized what a great man he is. Nothing but the highest respect for him and wish him and his wife the best.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back