• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Turner Gill

All the best to Turner and his family. He's the guy I wanted Osborne to hire when we got Bo. He was an integral part of Nebraska's resurgence in the 1990s, and he was the only coach that Osborne ever trusted to coach his quarterbacks.

If he wants it, Nebraska would do well to welcome him into a position in the athletics department. Working "normal" hours would still seem like retirement to a head football coach.

All the best to Turner and his family. He's the guy I wanted Osborne to hire when we got Bo. He was an integral part of Nebraska's resurgence in the 1990s, and he was the only coach that Osborne ever trusted to coach his quarterbacks.

If he wants it, Nebraska would do well to welcome him into a position in the athletics department. Working "normal" hours would still seem like retirement to a head football coach.

Moos could resurrect one of Eichorst’s 2 dozen extra quarter mil associate AD positions that he eliminated. An ambassador/fund raiser like TG would pay for himself.

Tommy Frazier before there was a TF.

Still hate the dirty MU player who cheapshot TG.

Sorry to hear of his wife's health issue. Don't know him personally; but, he always seemed like a great guy and a class act. I hope his wife bounces back quick and his retirement is enjoyable for him.

He is my all-time favorite husker, i'd be nice to find a place for him here, especially since I believe his wife was from here, he may be open to coming back. I dont know what age his kids are, so that could be difficult for a move. Hope all is well for him and family. He is everything we want our husker players to be, on and off the field.

He is my all-time favorite husker, i'd be nice to find a place for him here, especially since I believe his wife was from here, he may be open to coming back. I dont know what age his kids are, so that could be difficult for a move. Hope all is well for him and family. He is everything we want our husker players to be, on and off the field.
He is basically my age. That being said i would think most if not all his kids are probably at a minimum in college already.

Turner has always been a class act.

I remember one spring game I went to, cant remember the year (I think it was 04), Gill was signing autographs and had a massive crowd gathered around him of people who wanted to tell him that he should've been the HC, not Bill Callahan. This went on for a good 5-10 minutes, me and my dad just stood there watching the scene. Not a single, solitary time did Coach Gill agree with any of them. He just said, "I appreciate your support". There weren't any cameras or reporters around, only a bunch of fans who loved him. It would've been really easy for a normal human being to make at least a facial expression indicating that he agreed with the fans' (correct) sentiments. He never did. He did nothing but exude absolute humility.

I have a photograph with him in Memorial Stadium after one of their high school summer camps and it is one of my most prized possessions. He spent 20 minutes just talking to me and my dad about football and it was awesome. He could've headed inside after practice was over, but instead he stayed on the field to talk to a high school player with absolutely NO shot at a D1 roster for the better part of half an hour.

Sorry for the length, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Gill. I hope he finds the fulfilment that he very much deserves.
I have a similar Turner Gill Story...
About 25 years ago when I was starting my career of a high school football coach I attended one of the coaching clinics in Lincoln during spring ball. I remember following one of coach Gills presentations that I asked him a simple question. "Would we be able to film the football drills the following day?" The next thing I know Coach Gill stoped me shook my hand and asked me my name and asked me where I was from? He asked me about my wife and kids, my school, my football team, what position I coached and how our season went? He listened intently and with sincerity. I think it was about a 10 minute conversation of which I spoke for 90% of it I couldn't believe how nice he was. He finished up the conversation by saying that he didn't know if filming was allowed at the time, but he would find out and let me know as soon as he did. I just assumed it was his way of ending the conversation politely. The next morning, sure enough Coach Gill searches me out, calls me by my first and last name, and gives me his answer that filming was not allowed but what they would do is have managers film and they would be available for purchase for a small fee which I think was 10 bucks. The amazing thing to me was that there was 400 to 500 high school coaches there and he remembered what I looked like, what my name was, and truly took the time to find out and get that set up. That just shows how classy the guy is. I wish him and his wife well as they enter this chapter in their lives.

I have a similar Turner Gill Story...
About 25 years ago when I was starting my career of a high school football coach I attended one of the coaching clinics in Lincoln during spring ball. I remember following one of coach Gills presentations that I asked him a simple question. "Would we be able to film the football drills the following day?" The next thing I know Coach Gill stoped me shook my hand and asked me my name and asked me where I was from? He asked me about my wife and kids, my school, my football team, what position I coached and how our season went? He listened intently and with sincerity. I think it was about a 10 minute conversation of which I spoke for 90% of it I couldn't believe how nice he was. He finished up the conversation by saying that he didn't know if filming was allowed at the time, but he would find out and let me know as soon as he did. I just assumed it was his way of ending the conversation politely. The next morning, sure enough Coach Gill searches me out, calls me by my first and last name, and gives me his answer that filming was not allowed but what they would do is have managers film and they would be available for purchase for a small fee which I think was 10 bucks. The amazing thing to me was that there was 400 to 500 high school coaches there and he remembered what I looked like, what my name was, and truly took the time to find out and get that set up. That just shows how classy the guy is. I wish him and his wife well as they enter this chapter in their lives.

The "secret" to TO's success was his sincerity and caring and interest in people and the relationships he cultivated.

It allowed him to connect with people.

TG apparently learned the same skill.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back