• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toxic culture of Maryland football

Who’s Meyer? Haven’t seen anything on the FB board?
tenor.gif

night-sober-pair-iurIHLBxms7UQ

So some one explain this move. Admin leave for Durkin, The player was an OL, So then put the OC as the acting head coach? Wouldn't the OC be more involved with the Offense, and be more accountable? Held to a higher Standard? But no Blame it on the HC. SMH and Drop the Mic. Utter stupidity.

I'm guessing you haven't read the reports.

It was Rick Court, Maryland's strength and conditioning coach, who led the workout where the player became ill and later died.

While ESPN was investigating this incident, they uncovered a culture under Durkin that fostered this abuse. And, in fact, when they opened camp last week, players were reporting nothing had changed -- even after the death of one of their teammates. Granted, this doesn't mean the OC is minus guilt -- but there were more obvious staff members to put on leave in the immediate term while the investigation continues.

Also, Maryland never released an official cause of death of the player. It was ESPN who uncovered that -- as well as countless other instances of abuse within the football program.

Last edited:

So some one explain this move. Admin leave for Durkin, The player was an OL, So then put the OC as the acting head coach? Wouldn't the OC be more involved with the Offense, and be more accountable? Held to a higher Standard? But no Blame it on the HC. SMH and Drop the Mic. Utter stupidity.

Well, for one thing, Matt Canada is one of the newest on staff, so maybe he's less tied in to the rottenness. Just a thought.

My first thought in winter conditioning, oh uh ........

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-hospitalized-after-nebraska-football-workout

However, SF and Zach Duval was not a part of this news (not responsible)
The difference is, SF and ZD were closely monitoring the health of their players, and made sure they got immediate and proper care when something went wrong.

Edit: Maybe not SF so much, since he wasn't in direct control at the time. But you definitely see the difference between what happened at NU vs Maryland, and even Iowa.

Last edited:

The thing is, in MD football is not that serious. This coach could have a .500 record and keep his job. BBall is king followed by lacrosse.

LOL actually HS football around here is not bad. In PG and Baltimore counties it is very competitive. Ton of guys that go D1 and the NFL. Funny thing is that I know of about 4-5 guys from PG alone that made it to the NFL and you never hear about it. One of them even plays for the Ravens. So you think that would make a little news right? Nope the only pro player we hear about is Kevin Durant. Who twice has refused a chance to come play in DC. Yet they still love him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back