• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toxic culture of Maryland football

They did not take McNair to a hospital for one hour after he had seizures on the field from heat stroke. Total disregard for player safety and human life. I honestly have no clue how anyone could send their son to play there after reading this report if the coaches stay on staff. But I also see no way Maryland keeps these coaches on staff.

Yeah, and if that report is true that is inexcusable, AD on down should be removed - just for that incident. As for the culture, the fear and intimidation management style, sure sounds like it exists - Never ceases to amaze me people believe they can get results, well you can get results but you’ll never get the best or full potential of your people that way. Simple minded and self centered form of management, just produces grudges and hate, and seemingly in this case helped produce an environment that brought about a death of a student.

I know times have changed, but some of this stuff was standard operating procedure when I was in high school in the late '70's and early '80's. You screwed up, you got dog cussed in front of everyone and punished. Sometimes running the bleachers, sometimes the gauntlet, with or without a helmet. I didn't think much of it then and it actually worked for most of us. You didn't want to screw up. I mentioned some of the stuff that was going on to my father (old school military guy) and his response was 'Don't screw up.'

this is so much worse than what Mangino and Leach got fired for. What an offseason for the B1G

1. MSU Nassar scandal + espn report critical of Izzo and Dantonio
  2. tOSU wrestling doctor scandal
  3. Urban Meyer
  4. now Maryland
nightmare
You forgot the good news in Lincoln ;)

I know times have changed, but some of this stuff was standard operating procedure when I was in high school in the late '70's and early '80's. You screwed up, you got dog cussed in front of everyone and punished. Sometimes running the bleachers, sometimes the gauntlet, with or without a helmet. I didn't think much of it then and it actually worked for most of us. You didn't want to screw up. I mentioned some of the stuff that was going on to my father (old school military guy) and his response was 'Don't screw up.'

I don't care if a coach yells at a player. But what these coaches did crossed the line by far (regardless of the decade). These aren't leaders, they're bullies. They're scum.

We had a coach like that in junior high (7th grade football and 9th grade basketball). In football, if you made a mistake he'd make you run to a light pole a quarter mile away and beat you're head against it repeatedly, hard enough so he could hear it. And this was our first year in the sport. He particularly loved to pick on players who weren't as good, both in FB and BB. These were junior high teams, where a majority of guys played, so there was a broad spectrum of talent level. He was ruthless on those that just physically couldn't do what others could, constantly belittling them. He was the same in the classroom. Needless to say, he was broadly hated.

This guy was such a piece of "stuff" that when I heard he passed away, all I could muster was "Good riddance."

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with the method you describe. I had coaches like that as well. And when I start reading stories like the ones about Maryland, or Mangino, or Leach, my first thought is, "Come on people, don't be such wimpy...". But I believe you can still yell and be tough on guys, and still show that you care, that you have their best interests in mind. But coaches like the ones at Maryland seem to think it's a competition to be the biggest #&$+@ -- as if that's going to make the guys tougher.

So some one explain this move. Admin leave for Durkin, The player was an OL, So then put the OC as the acting head coach? Wouldn't the OC be more involved with the Offense, and be more accountable? Held to a higher Standard? But no Blame it on the HC. SMH and Drop the Mic. Utter stupidity.

As toxic as it appears to be I would think they have to look elsewhere for a coaching staff for 2018... yikes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back