• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Practice (3/25/19)

Why burn a redshirt in backup duty when they have Vedral there that can do the same thing and has 2 more years in SF's system? Let him play his 4 games of mapup duty and call it good.
Just for grins, say Martinez continues his strong play and decides he’s leaving as a junior. That means you have McCaffery starting as a sophomore, hoping for a similar result (leaving as a junior). Which brings us to Strothers, who could be a backup to McC, creating 2 years of separation, and we’re set at QB for potentially the next 7 years, using just 3 recruiting classes.

Just for grins, say Martinez continues his strong play and decides he’s leaving as a junior. That means you have McCaffery starting as a sophomore, hoping for a similar result (leaving as a junior). Which brings us to Strothers, who could be a backup to McC, creating 2 years of separation, and we’re set at QB for potentially the next 7 years, using just 3 recruiting classes.
Unless Smothers beats out McCaffery and then we have a potential transfer situation again.

I respectfully disagree. IF Luke is the second best QB, then that is the guy I want in the lineup. That's even more important if it goes beyond 4 games. If we need him in > 4 games because of an AM injury, then it's been a worthwhile investment of his freshman campaign. I would hate to use our 3rd best QB this year just so that we could save Luke for some point 4 years from now. (Again, this discussion is moot if he doesn't earn the backup spot).
See this is where I am at as well. In my opinion if he breaks the top 2 you forget the redshirt. Especially with a QB he may well get injured in another year. So in that case you may wish you still had that redshirt.

McCaffrey has been around football and football studs his whole life . . . not really surprised that his football IQ seems to be pretty high level. But he seems to have put on some beef in the weight room and seems to be thriving in the system and environment. Going to be fun to watch the QBs in the coming years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back