• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Practice (3/25/19)

Seriously doubt it. He might see 4 games to keep his RS, but I think they desperately want to keep his RS this year . . . barring something disastrous.

Yup and builds another year between him and Martinez which makes all the sense in the world

I know it's spring and everyone is an All-American at this point, but is it out of the realm of possibility for McCaffrey to end up as the #2 guy behind Martinez?
I’m sure he will get his 4 games and maintain his RS, maybe save them for the end of the season in case of injury?

Why burn a redshirt in backup duty when they have Vedral there that can do the same thing and has 2 more years in SF's system? Let him play his 4 games of mapup duty and call it good.

the 4 games gives us a lot of flexibility in case we really need him. If we can give him sufficient reps in practice, we may be able to use him in a couple big situations within the 4 game limit.

Yup and builds another year between him and Martinez which makes all the sense in the world

Exactly. I think they want to build up that thoroughbred succession order a bit and not burn eligibility for these guys early if they don't have to. Start lining up McCaffrey, Smothers, etc so they have a couple years overlap and a couple years to start.

Last edited:

asked about WR's that were "separating or surprising [him] at this pioint], Walters names

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/video-troy-walters-monday-press-conference

• Andre Hunt
  • Jaron Woodyard
  • wyatt liewer

Interesting set of names.
Hunt was a USC commit at one point, IIRC, and is supposed to have speed to burn
Woodyard is a more mature kid (JUCO route) and has a TON of speed (10.68 100 meters in HS)
Leiwer was the scout team offensive player of the year last year and is a big receiver with a nice vertical and long arms and good hands

If Luke is the number 2 qb and if AM gets hurt I say play the best available to win games, redshirt be darned. If AM is healthy all year then I don't understand the reasoning to play Luke over his 4 games. That is a lot of ifs.
I think it will be the same calculation as with Gebbia - dress and travel to every game, if there's a need for long term replacement, burn the redshirt. Otherwise, he will save the year. I can't see them doing anything else, unless it's some sort of Newcombe/Crouch "must get this athlete on the field" sort of thing. I don't think McCaffrey is that special compared to Wandale Robsinson and Spielman.

Sure, he can play his 4 games, but youve got Vedral and 2+ years already in the system who has no limits on playing time. You give him the most reps of the backups so he's the most prepared IMO.

I respectfully disagree. IF Luke is the second best QB, then that is the guy I want in the lineup. That's even more important if it goes beyond 4 games. If we need him in > 4 games because of an AM injury, then it's been a worthwhile investment of his freshman campaign. I would hate to use our 3rd best QB this year just so that we could save Luke for some point 4 years from now. (Again, this discussion is moot if he doesn't earn the backup spot).

Does anyone know how they split reps? My assumption is that #2 QB gets a few more reps with the big boys. I think we can all agree that the #2 guys needs to get his reps with the #1's, who the #2 is may be up for debate amongst the less knowledgeable. I have now talked about if's and assumptions, is there anything else?

Those two situations aren't mutually exclusive. He could be #2 on the depth chart, play in some mop-up duty and retain his redshirt. That scenario would be fairly likely IMHO.

I am REALLY hoping that 'mop-up duty' again becomes a regularly occurring event for the Huskers. Haven't seen much of that in a long time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back